Dear community,

I am the proud owner of a newly purchased used Graphtec FC2200/90 flatbed plotter from about 1989 to 1992. The plotter is in a generally excellent condition and ready to use.

Since I have problems using the Plotter with Adobe Illustrator in combination with Cutting Master 4 Plugin, I would like to know, if it is possible to update the plotters firmware to ‘Plotter Firmware v4.50 for Graphtec FC2250’? I am not sure, weather the FC2250 v4.50 Firmware is suitable for my FC2200/90 plotter.

I would also install the ‘Windows Driver OPS662 (v3.90)’ on my Windows Laptop and install ‘Cutting Master 3 for Windows Ver.2.2.1252’ instead of the current version.

I would be extremely grateful for any help!!!

What does Graphtec support say about their firmware updates?  We're just a bunch of guys and gals who putter around and can handle basic questions regarding the work we do, and sometimes we try to remote (blind) troubleshoot  -- things like user error or mechanical failures or explaining design software workings etc.

What 'problems' are you encountering with this used machine? When you bought it, were these problems evident?

In general Firmware is very machine specific and really should not be messed with unless there is a specific issue that the firmware update will address. Typically if you try to load firmware for a different machine it will either not load, or the machine will not work once loaded.

From reading over 22 years of forum post, a failed update in firmware requires a new main board and not just another attempt to update the firmware.  I would be very reluctant to attempt what you are suggesting on an operating unit.  You could end up with a boat anchor that you cannot get a new main board for 

Your cutter is listed for set up on Signblazer.   You can save your files back as an older version of .ai and import them into Signblazer.    I would NOT mess with the firmware. You have other options for using the cutter like it is.  Messing with the firmware is NOT advised.   If your wanting a more updated supported software. Go to VinylMaster.com and purchase the VinylMaster Cut for just cutting. Your cutter is listed on their version. 

First of all, thank you very much for your help. I didn't expect to get so much useful information in such a short time.

@slice&dice
I have already contacted Graphtec Japan, USA, Germany and the Netherlands without receiving any help. As I said, the cutter is in like new condition and has no problems so far. My only problem is controlling the cutting plotter via software.

@darcshadow & @Dakotagrafx
Thank you for the information. Since my machine no longer receives support from Graphtec and no suitable software, firmware and drivers are offered for it, I wanted to install the firmware for a similar model. After your posts I will now keep my hands off it.

@MZ SKEETER
That was really useful! Unfortunately, I am not familiar with cutting plotters, as this is my first. I have now looked at both of the proposed software and will probably get myself a license for “VinylMaster Cut”.

I will hopefully report on it soon when I have made my first cuts.