Hi, we recently bought an hp latex titan 3 printer cutter combo and one of the things we'd like to do with it is die cut decals/stickers. I know the Titan 3 doesn't have a separate mode to handle fully cutting through the vinyl backing unfortunately. Until we can afford to upgrade to a large enough cutter with the feature we were hoping maybe someone had experience doing it with a Titan 3 or similar model. Even if it would likely eat through cutting strips rather quickly. We've done some test runs  with different force / blade depth settings and gotten it to nearly work for some of the decals but many don't get fully cut. I know it's a long shot but does anyone know if there's a way to improve the results or are we stuck having to find a new cutter? If so, is graphtec the best choice for something like this?

Thanks!

You risk damaging the machine as a whole. If you find a way to cut through all of it, the vinyl will still want to scroll back and forth and will get caught on the blade and/or blade carriage. That will cause all kinds of unnecessary and excessive resistance that the cutter was not designed for. The only way to avoid that, is to use a carrier sheet, which is basically how the crafters do it on their cricuts.

A Graphtec FC8000 and on up model, is the only cutter with a dual position for the blade holder and a channel in front of the cutting strip, so that you can cut out and perf cut.   Possibly you can find a good used one out there. I know it's very possible. Search and have the money.  Ebay, Craig's list, Fbook  Marketplace.

And just a point of clarification, die cutting is done with custom made dies which are stamped onto the media and cut it, kind of like a cookie cutter cutting through dough.

• Like 2