Rowdydawg

Not getting a complete cut thru with CE6000

New to group, but have been cutting with my     CE6000 for over five years. I cut 5m mylar for airbrush stencils. using a silhouette cameo deep cut blade, which has worked perfect until today. After three cuts of a design everything started to only score the mylar. I didn’t try to do a double pass a.k.a. cut twice, but design is very detailed and this did not work very well. I believe I did something within the controller software settings when changing my blade. And now can’t remember what I did. Anyone have any suggestions or have had issues cutting 5m mylar?

Thanks! 

RowdyDawg

Well, we don't know how you set your blade depth. Too many incorrect instructions out there. Never use instructions that have to do with a credit card thickness or post it note. You set your blade depth to the vinyl that you are using.  Make sure you didn't break the blade tip off. 

This is correct way to set your blade depth.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and in your hand, firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should just barely see and feel your blade tip out of the blade holder.

• Thanks 1

Did you try a new blade?  Your plotter is rated for .25 mm thick material, 5m is very thick if that wasn’t a typo 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 12:50 AM, MZ SKEETER said:

Well, we don't know how you set your blade depth. Too many incorrect instructions out there. Never use instructions that have to do with a credit card thickness or post it note. You set your blade depth to the vinyl that you are using.  Make sure you didn't break the blade tip off. 

This is correct way to set your blade depth.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and in your hand, firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should just barely see and feel your blade tip out of the blade holder.

Thank you SO much. I had the blade out too far. I did what you suggested and it’s cutting like butter now! Thank you!

On 8/21/2020 at 12:54 AM, Dakotagrafx said:

Did you try a new blade?  Your plotter is rated for .25 mm thick material, 5m is very thick if that wasn’t a typo 

I actually had a bad blade. I returned it and did what @MZ SKEETER suggested and it’s cutting great now. I’ve been able to cut .5mil matte Mylar with the deep-cut blade for a Silhouette Cameo. I can also cut .7mil with 2 passes

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rowdydawg said:

I actually had a bad blade. I returned it and did what @MZ SKEETER suggested and it’s cutting great now. I’ve been able to cut .5mil matte Mylar with the deep-cut blade for a Silhouette Cameo. I can also cut .7mil with 2 passes

if you ever try cleancut blades - make sure to start with too little blade - fine grained carbide stays sharp longer but is brittle and can break in turns when digging into a cutting strip - if chinese blade it isn't a problem as they are not as hard

• Like 1

diito on the Clean Cut Blades. Those are the only ones I use.