kmorenor

Trouble with my us cutter mh 871

8 minutes ago, darcshadow said:

Again though, has this cutter ever worked for you? Or is this a new problem?

Maybe you missed his answer in the clutter  I asked the question above     Is this a new cutter?  They replied. 

"No, it's been working for 5 years, but other than that, it's perfect."

"Hello, the cutter has been working OK, just some random day, it wouldn't cut"

Thanks, yeah, missed that one.

So then the question is, did something happen/change before it stopped working?

Another question, with the cutter turned off, if you put a bit  of weight/pressure on the arm can you get the blade holder to touch the cutting strip?

the 5 years you've used it, have you always had to have the blade sticking out so far, or is this a new development?

I took the cover off my carriage and don't see any thing obvious that could fail and cause the blade holder not to drop all the way. If you're sure the carriage is on the rail correctly I would take the cover off and see what you see. There could be something causing the arm not to move freely like it should. For reference here is a photo of mine with the cover removed. Also, fyi, with the blade holder out, there is even more travel in the arm and it can go lower.

IMG_1190.thumb.JPG.ac0f7958342d7589f7888c438db4bd7d.JPG

• Like 2

You might consider changing your cutting strip, because it looks kind of slashed up.

19 hours ago, darcshadow said:

Is the carriage head seated on the rail correctly? Clearly there's a position problem as the blade holder should be touching the cutting strip when the cutter is turned off.

I'm not near my cutter right now but when i get a chance I'll look at mine closer and see if I can see anything that you could adjust or account for the extra height you're seeing.

Again though, has this cutter ever worked for you? Or is this a new problem?

Hello, the cutter worked for me fine until that problem.  At least 3 years, no problem.  This is last year.

18 hours ago, darcshadow said:

Another question, with the cutter turned off, if you put a bit  of weight/pressure on the arm can you get the blade holder to touch the cutting strip?

the 5 years you've used it, have you always had to have the blade sticking out so far, or is this a new development?

Hello, no, before the problem, the blade barely showed.  And the cutpress was always set on 90~120 aprox.  Just someday It wouldn't cut hard enough.

11 minutes ago, kmorenor said:

Hello, the cutter worked for me fine until that problem.  At least 3 years, no problem.  This is last year.

Take the carriage head cover off, as he mentioned.  See what is keeping the arm from coming down.   Show some pictures of the inside of the carriage head. 

18 hours ago, darcshadow said:

Hello, yeah, if I move it down, it can go lower.

19 hours ago, darcshadow said:

Thanks, yeah, missed that one.

So then the question is, did something happen/change before it stopped working?

Hello, no, I just came to work, put a sheet of vinyl for a car decal, and It just wouldn't cut it.  Just left the mark, but didn't go through the material.  I changed the blade, but didn't work.  And so and so. Could be a board problem?  By the way, here's the new carriage.

IMG_20200820_112105.jpg

16 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Is that spring on top hooked up like it should be? Darcshadow's spring doesn't look like that. 

Hello, that's the way it came.  Just bought it.

In that last photo, is the cutter turned on?

Ok, I think I missed that the problem started, you replaced the carriage head and it didn't solve the problem? So I think we're looking in the wrong location. The problem just about has to be the rails the head is riding on.

2 hours ago, darcshadow said:

Ok, I think I missed that the problem started, you replaced the carriage head and it didn't solve the problem? So I think we're looking in the wrong location. The problem just about has to be the rails the head is riding on.

Yes, the carriage is new, hoping that the old one was defective.  What can I look for on the rails? They seem to be well leveled, well lubricated, I clean them often.

2 hours ago, darcshadow said:

Sorry, yes the cutter is on.

2 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Take the carriage head cover off, as he mentioned.  See what is keeping the arm from coming down.   Show some pictures of the inside of the carriage head. 

Hello, It doesn't seem to be something keeping the holder to come down.  As I said before, the problem is the pressure that it makes.  Its too low.  No matter thah it's set on maximum.

3 hours ago, kmorenor said:

Hello, yeah, if I move it down, it can go lower.

Hello, no, I just came to work, put a sheet of vinyl for a car decal, and It just wouldn't cut it.  Just left the mark, but didn't go through the material.  I changed the blade, but didn't work.  And so and so. Could be a board problem?  By the way, here's the new carriage.

IMG_20200820_112105.jpg

sure looks like a carriage for a sc plotter - that is made my liyu and not refine that made your plotter - are you sure it is for you model and version of plotter?

https://www.uscutter.com/Replacement-Carriage-for-SC-Series-Vinyl-cutters?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvvj5BRDkARIsAGD9vlK7xQQ8LfNj-lGDAwOwW0QUCA1c6skAs8UZakgpkSqUWk1e6CNwiXEaAv_0EALw_wcB

40 minutes ago, kmorenor said:

Hello, It doesn't seem to be something keeping the holder to come down.  As I said before, the problem is the pressure that it makes.  Its too low.  No matter thah it's set on maximum.

It's not that your pressure is too low, it's that the holder is not dropping like it should. When the cutter is off the holder should drop and be resting on the cutting strip. Something is causing it to sit too high. In that photo it also looks like the belt is not parallel to the surface, like the carriage is sitting too high.

44 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

sure looks like a carriage for a sc plotter - that is made my liyu and not refine that made your plotter - are you sure it is for you model and version of plotter?

https://www.uscutter.com/Replacement-Carriage-for-SC-Series-Vinyl-cutters?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvvj5BRDkARIsAGD9vlK7xQQ8LfNj-lGDAwOwW0QUCA1c6skAs8UZakgpkSqUWk1e6CNwiXEaAv_0EALw_wcB

Well it's exactly the same, just that the new came with a laser.  I compared them and they're the same size, they fit in the rail. And I asked for a MH 871 MK and that's what arrived.

17 hours ago, darcshadow said:

It's not that your pressure is too low, it's that the holder is not dropping like it should. When the cutter is off the holder should drop and be resting on the cutting strip. Something is causing it to sit too high. In that photo it also looks like the belt is not parallel to the surface, like the carriage is sitting too high.

Hello, both the old ant the new one fit in the rail the same way, I checked, both sides of the rail and the screws are real tight, wouldn't know what could cause the carriage to be higher than it should.Does any of you help with a manual of how to dismantle it?

Far as I know there's no manual for taking it apart like you're talking. I'm out of ideas at this point. Sorry and good luck.