FrankRai

PDF Import Runtime Error

14 hours ago, haumana said:

And here I was under the impression that you've already downloaded Inkscape and was finding that problematic. So, as suggested before, download and install Inkscape, you have nothing to lose, the software is free/open-source.

• Open Inkscape, drop and drag your PDF file open (or right click on your PDF and select Inkscape as the application to open that file. Click OK
  • File > Export PNG Image (change the dpi to 300, and tell it where to save your file)
  • Delete the PDF image in the Inkscape work area.
  • Drop and drag (or right click on the newly created PNG file)
  • After getting the raster image into the inkscape work space, single click on the artwork to select it.
  • Path > Trace Bitmap > OK (the resizing arrows will usually move, so that it's on the traced vector instead of the raster image)
  • (you can close the Trace Bitmap pop up, or just move it to the side)
  • There should be the vectorized item sitting directly on top of the raster. Try to click on something and move it to the side. At the bottom it will tell you which is selected (image is raster, path is vector).

When Dakota said that the image needs to be traced, it doesn't mean that it needs to manually traced via pen/mouse - just that it need to be vectorized.

Inkscape will vectorize your image, which creates a trace of it. Opening the PDF in any program and simply re-saving (save as) another file format (.eps, .svg. etc.) does not automatically vectorize it for you, it only save it in a different format so that other applications may open it.

If you do not know the difference between a raster image and a vector one, I suggest you Google it. It will help you understand why cutters require vector images, and not raster ones.

Thank you.  I will try that out.  This is crazy.  I don't know why it is not working.  Anyway Thank you and I will try that tonight.

Well Still no luck.  I downloaded Pixillion and Inkscape. and neither were able to get the PDF to where I can use it on the MK2 cutter on SCALP.  It wants to only outline the page and thats it.  Like as if the paper in the PDF viewer thing was the only on it.  I see the the picture / drawing but it will not separate. it.   

1st floor.pdf

much better to print or pen plot that one - I used to run a GIS/CAD shop in a former life and that really isn't going to work out the best as cut vinyl

Somewhere someone has a dxf file of that I bet

36 minutes ago, FrankRai said:

I was going to use the pen and print it out 

Do you have access to the dxf? 

New question, why are you trying to do this on the cutter? Do you just need it on paper bigger than normal printer paper?

As Dakota said, if you can get access to the original file that would be the ideal way to go. Second option would be to manually trace/redraw it using your design program of choice, 3rd would be an auto trace but an auto trace is going to trace both sides of the line, which would be ok for cutting, as it'd cut all the lines, but for plotting it'll basically be drawing each line twice and the numbers/letters will probably not turn out well at all.

Ok, I downloaded your PDF and opened it with Inkscape and it is an actual vector file although it's all grouped. If look at it wireframe mode there is a green box around it, not exactly sure what that is. But if you ungroup it 4 times you'll get down to individual objects and the green box will disappear. At this point you should be able to save the file as a vector file of your choice, EPS would be the common one, and then import it into your cutting program.

1st floor.eps

• Like 1

8 hours ago, darcshadow said:

Ok, I downloaded your PDF and opened it with Inkscape and it is an actual vector file although it's all grouped. If look at it wireframe mode there is a green box around it, not exactly sure what that is. But if you ungroup it 4 times you'll get down to individual objects and the green box will disappear. At this point you should be able to save the file as a vector file of your choice, EPS would be the common one, and then import it into your cutting program.

1st floor.eps

That's probably where I went wrong. I ungrouped it, but probably only twice. Hahaha. I was half way there!! That's a lot of grouping.