gvally321

Cutting multi layers decals again after laminating

I'm trying to create a multi layered sticker where the base is a square and then there is a second layer overlayed that is text.

After the text has been overlayed using application tape I want to laminate the whole sheet and then run it through the cutter again to cut the base square shape again.

I know the process would be similar to the print and cut process but I'm assuming I would need to manually create registration marks that would be cut out along with the square base?

Is this correct?

I have not been able to find any video's tutorials on how to do this. 

for a two-color layered decal, i would just layer it and cut the final product by hand, cutting board, rotary cutter and ruler, etc.

I create a square box around everything I cut - it makes for easier weeding, and if there is duplicates I'm cutting, they all turn out pretty much uniform in size in the final product.

Does your cutter allow for cutting through all of the media and not get stuck or jammed to the blade or blade carriage when it's jogging the vinyl back and forth?

2 minutes ago, haumana said:

for a two-color layered decal, i would just layer it and cut the final product by hand, cutting board, rotary cutter and ruler, etc.

I create a square box around everything I cut - it makes for easier weeding, and if there is duplicates I'm cutting, they all turn out pretty much uniform in size in the final product.

Yes that was my thinking but if I wanted to make a round decal it would be hard and time consuming

ah, got it.

Does your roland have the means to allow you to cut through all the layers, and not ruin the cutting strip or getting jammed when it's feeding it back and forth?

41 minutes ago, haumana said:

ah, got it.

Does your roland have the means to allow you to cut through all the layers, and not ruin the cutting strip or getting jammed when it's feeding it back and forth?

I'm assuming it does. Its a GS-24

45 minutes ago, gvally321 said:

I'm assuming it does. Its a GS-24

I do not own a Roland, so I assume nothing. I do know that most cutters do not have that ability, that's why I asked.

If you want to do a contour cut after you have done a 2-layer application, then I would not put any tape over the registration marks and go from there. Then again, I would also not contour cut through the backing on any of my machines, but it would absolutely get jammed, and if I had a machine that could do it - I would not cut it the very edge of the vinyl, I would leave myself a little wiggle room on the outside of the design.

I also just cut square weed boxes and use my rotary cutter, regardless of what the shape of the design is. I do not wish to spend any additional time cutting the decals one-by-one if I can help it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, haumana said:

I do not own a Roland, so I assume nothing. I do know that most cutters do not have that ability, that's why I asked.

If you want to do a contour cut after you have done a 2-layer application, then I would not put any tape over the registration marks and go from there. Then again, I would also not contour cut through the backing on any of my machines, but it would absolutely get jammed, and I had a machine that could do it - I would not cut it the very edge of the vinyl, I would leave myself a little wiggle room on the outside of the design.

I also just cut square weed boxes and use my rotary cutter, regardless of what the shape of the design is. I do not wish to spend any additional time cutting the decals one-by-one if I can help it.

Sorry now I understand what you meant.

I would not be looking to cut through the backing on the second cut. I would just like to cut through the laminate.

1. Cut base vinyl shape and leave on backing

2. Cut lettering and transfer onto base

3. Apply laminate

4. Place back in cutter and cut laminate to the same shape as in step 1. Essentially repeating the same cut

5. Complete laminated decal remains on backing paper

I do not have a lot of experience as I've only had my cutter for a couple of months.

I can see you point that I would be asking too much of the cutter to cut in the exact same place as the first cut.

I guess the laminate will have to be cut separately and applied by hand 

your software needs to support print and cut - the software will put the registration marks in for that operation and not manual - allowing that program to properly located the elements once your reload after lamination - my only question is - will the software make the registration marks cuttable as that is not how that software normally works 

• Like 1

If I had a customer that needed two or more colors, and a contour cut, I would outsource it to have it printed in the two colors, laminated, then contour cut.

• Like 1

Dumb question but why the laminate on cut vinyl? If I were doing your project I would apply the top layer (of two) to a solid sheet base and then laminate it and cut out the outline and weed. If your cutter has an optical eye you can cut and apply the registration marks in the upper layer and they will get transferred onto the full sheet lower layer when you apply them. We just don't see a lot of call for laminate on basic cut vinyl since it holds up great to UV if it's Cast vinyl. 

• Like 2

Even calendared vinyl holds up pretty well. I've had some cheap greenstar stuff on a car for about 8 years and it still looks good.

On 8/17/2020 at 6:19 AM, Wildgoose said:

Dumb question but why the laminate on cut vinyl? If I were doing your project I would apply the top layer (of two) to a solid sheet base and then laminate it and cut out the outline and weed. If your cutter has an optical eye you can cut and apply the registration marks in the upper layer and they will get transferred onto the full sheet lower layer when you apply them. We just don't see a lot of call for laminate on basic cut vinyl since it holds up great to UV if it's Cast vinyl. 

That is a good idea and I sort of came up with a similar solution

1. Using the Roland CutStudio software, I turned on the Print and Cut function which displays the registration marks

2. I traced around the registration marks and then turn off the Print and Cut function.

3. I cut out the base shape and registration marks

4. After the second layer and laminate are applied I turn on the Print and Cut function which looks for the registration marks and cuts the base shape again

It is not an exact cut as it might be out by half a millimetre but it is close enough.