Sign in to follow this  
stageman0321

Oracal 631 not sticking please help

We are having extreme problems with our oracal 631 not sticking to our transfer tape we've tried just about everything we can find online please help

stageman, welcome.

What does that mean "not sticking" ? Buy some high-tack tape. See if that works.  ORATAPE HT55

• Like 1

Just to be sure that you are doing it correctly, you squeegee the transfer tape really good onto the vinyl, then turn the decal transfer tape down and remove the wax paper backing. You should not be lifting the vinyl from the backing, you can lift the wax paper backing right up with the decal, then you will have paper stuck to your decal. It makes a big difference, 

I squeegee it over and over again on both sides go to pull off the backing paper the vinyl wants to stick to the backing paper and not stick to the transfer tape we are currently using transfer tape from sign warehouse

Maybe bad vinyl,  Could also be that you are cutting too deep, and pushing the vinyl into the backing paper.   We don't know what kind of tape that you are using.  Oracal has it's own transfer tape for the Oracal 631 vinyl.    What did your supplier tell you? 

https://www.uscutter.com/ORATAPE-HT55-Decorative-Film-Transfer-Tape-for-631-Vinyl

This is correct way to set your blade depth.  Don't use instructions that have to do with a credit card thickness or post it notes. 

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and in your hand, firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should just barely see and feel your blade tip out of the blade holder.

• Like 1

age of vinyl and age of app tape can also affect proper adhesion.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 5:03 AM, stageman0321 said:

We are having extreme problems with our oracal 631 not sticking to our transfer tape we've tried just about everything we can find online please help

Also having TROUBLE! What is strange, I used a Roll of 631 from USC with Low Tac TR 582U and it worked great!!!   Then on my 2nd (and tried a 3rd) the Low Tac 582U will NOT lift the vinyl off the backing.  That is ODD and frustrating.  :(

23 minutes ago, Tinker2000 said:

Also having TROUBLE! What is strange, I used a Roll of 631 from USC with Low Tac TR 582U and it worked great!!!   Then on my 2nd (and tried a 3rd) the Low Tac 582U will NOT lift the vinyl off the backing.  That is ODD and frustrating.  :(

You should not be lifting the vinyl off the backing. Properly done is to squeegee the front of the transfer tape real good, then turn the decal transfer tape down and peel the backing away.  It makes a huge difference.  If you keep trying to lift the decal off the backing, you will actually lift the wax paper up with the decal, then it will be stuck to your decal.   I even write that on my instructions. I never have complaints or problems.   Oracal 631 has transfer tape made for it. And it is high tack.   https://www.uscutter.com/ORATAPE-HT55-Decorative-Film-Transfer-Tape-for-631-Vinyl

• Like 1

HT55 is specially formulated to work good with 631. It is actually a medium tack but with more adhesive to allow it to soak down into the mat finish and grab hold. Medium tack so it will come off decently after the install. 

Unfortunately HT55 dries out if you own it too long (mine did) and it then loses its abilities somewhat. I wish they sold it in smaller roll lengths. 

huh. my ht55 actually got stickier on the adhesive, but crunchier on the paper :huh:   now i use it for masking stuff i put into the laser :P

i totally agree with you though ... smaller rolls!!!

Having a similar issue with my 631 but just for my BLACK roll. Using the Aplitape HT55 designed for 631 too. All of my other 631 vinyl colors lift just fine but this black 631 seems to have a more aggressive adhesive. Even the black vinyl itself is harder to weed than the other 631 colors...it is adhered stronger to the wax paper. It is an older roll now but I bought a lot of the black as it's used often and even when new it was difficult to work with than the others. 

If you would have read the 4th post up,  what I posted, . You are not supposed to lift the vinyl  from the backing. You peel the backing away from the decal. It makes a huge difference. When lifting the vinyl from the backing, you can also lift the wax paper backing up right on the decal. Then you will have paper stuck to your decal. 

• Like 1

Depending on age and storage, your vinyl will change. Mine because gummier and the vinyl itself seems to be a little more crunchy and stiffer. For that, I will always be making minor adjustments here and there, depending on the age of the my vinyl so that I get the proper cut through the vinyl and adhesive, but not the backing. Another thing to take into consideration is the age of your app tape, that too, will make a big difference.