sjdvn2

Transfer Tape Recommendation - Or, Do I Go Big?

Good morning,

In my spare time I've been making fairly large decals, which are primarily cut from 30" rolls of 751 in matte black. Per a previous recommendation, I moved to high-tack transfer tape, as my standard tape wasn't holding very well to the matte finish. I switched to R-Tape 4076-RLA, which has been great.

I've been buying 16" rolls and applying it to the 751 manually by hand by laying it onto my decals and using a squeegee to put it in place with good results. I run 2 rows of the 16" with some overlap so it can be applied in one piece.

Today, I went to order some more tape, but it is no longer available in 16". Is there another brand that anyone can recommend?

Next question, is it time to step up and do these with a single layer of transfer tape? I know it will look much better to the person ordering it, but im a little intimidated by running a 30" wide roll of transfer tape by hand. Can anyone offer advice, tips or tricks on the best way to layb30" tape in a home office environment?

Thanks!

I use a "Big Squeegee -Cut vinyl tool" but just a 24" model. They take a little bit of practice but once mastered they really make taping off a large job simple. They are a bit expensive and if I had had one to copy I probably could have built one myself. Bottom line is I don't know how i would get by without one with larger signage. I don't do a lot of big stuff anymore but still use it occasionally even on a long run of smaller logos. The trick is to waste at least 6"-8" at the start and be sure it is laying down smooth and then I use a clear 24" craft ruler to alight the vinyl roll with the direction the tape is going (sometimes you end up going slightly crooked and you can catch this before you get a messed up project this way) Then I usually let the roll of tape sit on the vinyl and just push it along and the roll spins backward and keeps control of the vinyl while the tape comes off behind it under the squeegee. Some designs have really small details and if I am worried about catching one of those I slide the roll up into the rounded holder or use my off hand to slightly lift the roll up when going over those parts. Takes a little practice but I almost never had an issue now. I have done signage over 14 ft long without any issue. There are videos out there that will help you visualize what I am talking about. I looked at the larger Big Squeegee I think its 48" and has a push pole. I would probably cut that down with a miter saw to around 32" in your case so you could still manage it one handed. The push poles look a little suspect IMO. 

Good luck, there are other options like the ones that hold the roll up off the table on the far end but I have tried a home made version and the static cling always caused me a lot of issues. 

Thanks. I just ordered a big squeegee. It seems they're aluminum now, last time I looked, they were pvc. Hopefully this speeds up my process!