Sign in to follow this  
PBR Allstar

SBE MH721 setup ?

I feel dumb,  it’s been so long since I set this thing up originally that it’s all foreign now.  

Got a new computer running Win7 Pro, SBE installed fine,  all the previous problems that I had with work not transferring to the cut window, etc seem to have been resolved,  now I just need to get the computer to talk successfully to the cutter!

It seems to be working partially,  as in not giving me any comm errors but all it’s doing is advancing and retracting the vinyl over and over again as if I was hitting reset on the cutter until the “sending output to cutter” status bar completes a couple cycles then it stops.     I do have it plugged in with a serial cable now (previously I had a usb cable as the old computer didn’t have a serial port) 

thanks in advance

D679F604-E7F4-41A4-8903-E6E4D32971D2.jpeg

Not sure why that pic posted horizontally.  

also,  this is the 7.0 version slice&dice linked me.  There is no option for the mh721 that I saw in the cutter menu. 

Hi again. Let's see if I understand you correctly. You have the cutter RESPONDING to your cut command, but the cutting head is not moving (x, z) and only the grit rollers (y axis) are spinning resulting in the vinyl going back and forth, ostensibly according to the design parameters. Can you verify that the movement of the vinyl appears to be consistent with the design? In other words, if you were indeed to obtain cutting head movement, does it seem like the design is being traced correctly, except for the x,z process actually not working?

Anyway, if the answer to the above is YES, then something is preventing the cutting head from sliding along and also not lifting/dropping the blade.

Let's see your reply to this troubleshoot attempt, and go from there.

6 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

Hi again. Let's see if I understand you correctly. You have the cutter RESPONDING to your cut command, but the cutting head is not moving (x, z) and only the grit rollers (y axis) are spinning resulting in the vinyl going back and forth, ostensibly according to the design parameters. Can you verify that the movement of the vinyl appears to be consistent with the design? In other words, if you were indeed to obtain cutting head movement, does it seem like the design is being traced correctly, except for the x,z process actually not working?

Anyway, if the answer to the above is YES, then something is preventing the cutting head from sliding along and also not lifting/dropping the blade.

Let's see your reply to this troubleshoot attempt, and go from there.

I was just sending you a pm when you replied!  LoL. 

the cutter head movement when I press “cut” Is the exact same as when I press “reset” on the cutter.  It advances and reverses on the y axis, goes to the right stop on the x axis, then drops the blade for a split second on the z axis.   It doesn’t have any relation to the size of the design selected to be cut. I’ve tried several different files.  

Okay,   Forget everything.  

I opened the driver file and installed the usb driver, fumbled through selecting different ports,  and well I think I’m back in the vinyl game!

Not sure what is up with the Serial port but I’ll just let it go for now.  

thanks again to everyone that has helped the last few weeks, especially S&D for the patience and detailed responses.  

OK, got it. Good reply, makes me glad that YOU'RE glad!

Your tenacity paid off, going through all sorts of things to figure this out. There is nothing like the feeling of joy when a cutter that's been acting stupid just decides to start doing what it is supposed to be doing.

giphy.webp