Ronin

Difficult set up / dotted cuts / not cutting all the way

Hey guys, 

I'm having the hardest time setting up my vinyl cutter. It's a MH 871-mk2 and in useing the cutting promgram it came with, Vinyl Master. Im also useing the vinyl it came with which is GreenStar, not sure if that vinyl is any good or how it compares to 3M. I bought the cutter brand new off of Amazon. 

I keep adjusting the blade height (I can barley see it) and testing the cuts on scrap vinyl to make sure im only cutting the vinyl film and not the backing paper. When i feel like i got the right height, i set the blade in the machine and do a few test cuts but it continually only cuts a few lines fine and the other lines become almost perforated. Im only trying to cut squares and doing "Test" cuts to get the machine dialed in. 

Ive also been adjusting the offset and cant seem to get any better. Ive been ranging from very low pressures and speed to gradually increasing to find the best setting, still nothing though. 

What is my problem?? 

I know this cutter is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to vinyl cutters, but i only bought it as a hobby use/begginer cutter. I plan on upgrading later on once i get more of a handle of using it. 

20200808_232917.jpg

This is correct way to set your blade depth.  Dotted cuts and skipping is usually too much blade exposed.  Sign vinyl is only 2-3 mil,  You only cut with the very tip of the blade.  Make sure you haven't broken the blade tip off. 

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and in your hand, firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should just barely see and feel your blade tip out of the blade holder.

Blade offset is for making the corners sharp. 

Correct combination is less blade, more force. 

• Like 2

Hi Ronin,  Take apart the entire blade holder itself and verify there is no debris lurking inside preventing the blade from freely spinning.

A drop of light sewing-machine oil into the bearing hole is also recommended.

• Like 2

I think i may have found the issue. I think i may have dulled/broken the tip of the blade during some tests. I tried a new blade and its cutting fine now but some parts there is a slight disconnect in the line. Making it difficult to weed out. Would this be fixed with a seccond pass? 

1 hour ago, slice&dice said:

Hi Ronin,  Take apart the entire blade holder itself and verify there is no debris lurking inside preventing the blade from freely spinning.

A drop of light sewing-machine oil into the bearing hole is also recommended.

Also, how do I take apart the blade holder? 

4 minutes ago, Ronin said:

Also, how do I take apart the blade holder? 

Unscrew it.