Sign in to follow this  
PBR Allstar

New PC needed

Okay,  so my issues with SBE turned out to be a dying computer. That said, I need a New/Refurbished PC  

which is the best Windows version to run SBE?  

I’m looking for links and suggestions (I just need a tower). Would like something with a serial port.  I will only be running SBE and Inkscape on this machine, once or twice a week tops so it doesn’t need to be able to accomplish more than that and maybe the occasional image grab off the internet.  

any suggestions or feedback appreciated, links also very much appreciated.  Budget is a concern for me at the moment. 

Recently I had a local Computer Business build a computer tower to my requirements...

he did it at half the price of an online offer...check around!  It may work for you.  I already had keyboard & 

monitor.

Sue

I haven't found a version of Windows that SBE doesn't run on. That being said, anything with Win10 will have auto updates that cannot be turned off. If I am able to, I try to stick with the antiquated Win7 setup. I've already had Win10 break my CorelDraw 2018, and was not happy about it.

I have been very happy with my DELL Optiplex 960 (running 7) -- lots of usb ports (front and back) and a legacy serial DB9 port.

Paid $60 for it.

2 hours ago, slice&dice said:

I have been very happy with my DELL Optiplex 960 (running 7) -- lots of usb ports (front and back) and a legacy serial DB9 port.

Paid $60 for it.

I’ve looked at some of the optiplex machines,   I’m thinking win7 might be my best bet?

Win7 will probably be the most reliable, in terms of operating systems. If you're just hooking it up the cutter, then you really don't need internet access. I would turn off any type of auto updates there are for any of the programs that you'd be running on the machine - not that MS even really supports 7 anymore. Hahaha.