badun

Cutting rubber sheet?

A friend asked me to cut some 1/32" rubber sheet into roughly 3"x5" pieces.  I have a PrismCut P20.  Any recommendations on the blade type, speed, pressure, etc?  I have extra material with which to experiment but I'd rather not waste it if someone has some guidance for me.  Thanks!

Simple rectangle pieces? I'd suggest a piece of scrap wood or a Cutting mat, straight edge, and a utility knife.

• Like 1

No, there are curves and cutouts around the posts as seen in the image.  I should have said it's a gasket for an electronic device.  The gasket goes to the edge of the case.  Don't ask me what it is because he's trying to make me guess and I haven't figured it out yet!  I have the SVG of the gasket and it is clean, I just offered to find out for him if it can be readily cut by machine.

vector_open.jpg?w=2000&h=

• Like 1

I'm not finding anything about the max cutting depth, but for reference most vinyl is around 4 mils. 1/32" is 31 mils, so I doubt any vinyl cutter would be able to cut this material.

Looking at the photo you posted, I see no reason why a simple rectangle wouldn't work, there's no need for a gasket around the screw holes. The only thing I see is the whole thing might need to be a bit larger to give slightly more surface area for the gasket to make contact with especially around those holes.

3 hours ago, badun said:

No, there are curves and cutouts around the posts as seen in the image.  I should have said it's a gasket for an electronic device.  The gasket goes to the edge of the case.  Don't ask me what it is because he's trying to make me guess and I haven't figured it out yet!  I have the SVG of the gasket and it is clean, I just offered to find out for him if it can be readily cut by machine.

vector_open.jpg?w=2000&h=

https://jasonmccallister.wordpress.com/

If you're willing to try it on your cutter - just use a carrier mat, and you'll probably need to do multiple passes. How many does he need to get done?