DesignThieves

Help! I can not find a fix for this problem

When the plotter goes to cut it has started doing this! I've adjusted the overcut and offset and it seems to still do it, I'm thinking it may be the blade holder itself?

thumbnail_20200803_134218.jpg

betting that is a super small detail and is where the knife is dropping and dragged into line - nature of a drop knife plotter,  a plotter with either true Tangential or emulated Tangential cutting feature - be prepared to put our several thousand dollars for that feature

There are blade depth instructions out there, that are just wrong.  1/2 credit card thickness, post it notes are wrong.  Anything to do with a credit card is wrong.Way too much blade exposed. 

This is correct way to set your blade depth.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and in your hand, firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should just barely see and feel your blade tip out of the blade holder.

The blade depth has to be set correctly first, before you adjust the blade offset. Start at 0.25mm then adjust at .05  plus or minus to make it look better.  There are many pictures on this forum of how it should look.  And which way to adjust blade offset. You do not state which vinyl cutter you are using,  A Roland blade would be at 0.25mm      A Graphtec blade is ZERO. 

I did not say anything about adjusting the force.  I said "make sure you set your blade depth correctly".  It is less blade, more force. You should just barely be able to see the blade tip out of the blade holder.  Sign vinyl is only about 2-3 mil.thick. You only cut with the very tip of the blade. Also make sure there is nothing in the blade holder.  Try a drop of light oil to make sure blade spins freely    If you were to gently push the blade holder down on the vinyl and get down and look between the vinyl and the blade holder, you should just barely be able to see daylight between them. 

Ah, understand I think I've got the blade depth correct as it seems to be only when it finishes a line that the problem occurs where the lines don't connect from start to finish when I adjust the overcut or blade offset it only seems to make it worse? What type of oil should i use for the blade to try and see if that's the problem or would WD-40

a light oil  You still have never stated which vinyl cutter this is.  Also cut slow until you learn the cutter. Contact tech support. Is it new, or used? 

its a pixmax 720 sorry I've rang them and show the photos and they are reviewing it, when doing a cutter at the slowest speed I still get the problem most of the photos above are done at the slowest speed. I really appreciate the help

That cutter is pretty much like the MH cutter that is sold, here. Which is on the bottom of the cutter line. I have nothing more to add. Until you get the machine test cut to cut correctly, you will continue to have problems.  Your welcome. 

In the first photo, it definitely looks like it does need some tweaking. Have you also taken a close look at the graphic? There might be stray nodes, or nodes that are out of place. If what you're trying to cut is small or intricate, slow the speed down. It's hard to tell what you're trying to cut from the photo you posted.

On the second photo - honestly, that would be an acceptable cut to me (given the machine you have). You have a cutter that utilizes a stepper motor, which is not as accurate as a servo motor.

Take the time to absolutely make sure you have the blade depth dialed in right, but that will determine if you're getting over penetration while cutting into the vinyl (every little bit makes a difference). Once you know that you have the blade depth set correctly, find some scrap vinyl and go through the motions of figuring out the best offset. It might take a little time, and handful of trial and errors. Don't be afraid to increase and decrease the numbers - in a wide range, so you know which direction to go in.

947527394_offsetpic.gif.569bebddc102c74eb9d3d91de6e868f0.gif

• Like 1

if whatever cutting software you are using has overcut that will help this situation.  

• Like 1

However, be aware, over cut in the software will not change the auto test cut of the machine.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, darcshadow said:

However, be aware, over cut in the software will not change the auto test cut of the machine.

yah, forgot to mention that. You'll need to do your own square & triangle, or square and diamond, square & star, ... - whatever you prefer.

• Like 2

I would also say revisit your exposed blade length, many people gloss over that one because it doesn't SEEM like it could be the problem. Practically EVERY new owner does this incorrectly and it can cause these sort of issues. Remove the entire blade holder and drag it across a scrap with some pressure (not too much but "some") and be certain that you can't cut all the way through the backing. You SHOULD still see just a little bit of clear space when cutting (while cutting look at the work in process down at eye level and be sure you can still see a little gap from the blade holder to the vinyl). The combination of not being able to cut all the way through and yet not quite touching the vinyl surface with the blade holder is the perfect sweet spot. If you aren't there, get there. 

• Like 1