dbc

SC2 Can't set origin to the most right cutting suface

I have a little over an inch of cutting surface available that I can no longer set the origin point to.  This is the furthest right I can move the head using the controls.  When the cutter is off I can move the head just fine all way to the right; but the minute I turn it on it moves to it current position.  Using the controls I'm able to move the the head to the left and right just fine, but no further right than this.  If you look a red circle; shortly after I got the cutter, I was able to set the origin further right a one time.  Any ideas?

...and why is this a problem? because of this I can't cut a full 24" wide design.  Now the vinyl is too close the left side beyond where the print head can go.

IMG_20200801_145742.jpg

why would you need to move it further to the right.? Don't you have a reset button on the right side that it may hit?   Can't you get the full width of the vinyl in the cutting throat?   If  your right pinch roller is in it's correct position, then you would want your pinch roller about 1-1.5 inches from the right edge of the vinyl. 

This is the head moved all the way to the left(which the head would never go to), therefore will never be able to cut a full 24" design.  But if I could set the origin further right I would not have this issue.  If I can't move the origin any further right that would mean a 28" opening width of the SC2 can't cut a full 24" wide vinyl.

IMG_20200801_154552.jpg

Have you tried to scoot the right side pinch roller to see if the carriage will allow you to set it a little further to the right?

Is your carriage head belt loose.  Or did it slip someway on the belt.  I don't know how it is connected. 

Moving the right side pinch roller didn't make a difference.

not loose, everything operates normally; MZ do you have an SC2? or have you worked with one?

If there are no issues with what I presented then that means the 28" SC2 has a maximum cutting width of 23.5" and I'll just have to account for that in my designs.

sure looks like the carriage housing is almost hitting that right side in your picture - that would stop the blade holder from moving right more

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbc said:

not loose, everything operates normally; MZ do you have an SC2? or have you worked with one?

No, I do not have one.  I am just on here about daily for 12 years.  Seen all kinds of vinyl cutters.   What are you trying to cut vinyl edge to vinyl edge?   

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

sure looks like the carriage housing is almost hitting that right side in your picture - that would stop the blade holder from moving right more

Plenty of room

IMG_20200801_174850.jpg

17 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

No, I do not have one.  I am just on here about daily for 12 years.  Seen all kinds of vinyl cutters.   What are you trying to cut vinyl edge to vinyl edge?   

Doesn't matter, the point is that a 28" mouth cutter should be able to cut 24" wide vinyl.  Some of my designs surpass 23.5".  I was hoping someone who has the SC2 or has experience with the SC2 would be able to say what I'm observing is normal and I can just move along knowing the 23.5" limitation.  Simple enough; I don't normally attempt to answer something I don't know about.  It can waist people's time looking for actual answers instead of guesses.

I can spend 15 years in an automotive forum; and try to answer something about turbos when all I know is transmissions, it doesn't help anybody.

50 minutes ago, dbc said:

Doesn't matter, the point is that a 28" mouth cutter should be able to cut 24" wide vinyl.  Some of my designs surpass 23.5".  I was hoping someone who has the SC2 or has experience with the SC2 would be able to say what I'm observing is normal and I can just move along knowing the 23.5" limitation.  Simple enough; I don't normally attempt to answer something I don't know about.  It can waist people's time looking for actual answers instead of guesses.

I can spend 15 years in an automotive forum; and try to answer something about turbos when all I know is transmissions, it doesn't help anybody.

Wow. Well, thank you for at least allowing the volunteers on this forum a shot at possibly trying to assist you. Have you tried to submit a trouble ticket to USC? Not all of us own SC2 machines, but we try to help where we can, and as fast as we can. Shame on us for asking questions in an effort to try to help you. Whether you realize this or not, not all issues on the SC2 will be isolated to the SC2, however, we all try to come up with possible answers. Please accept my humble apology for wasting your time by mistakenly suggesting you move the pinch the roller - because you know, it actually works on other cutters. And sometimes, our non-specific machine suggestions and advice, actually help people with other models of cutters.

May the odds be ever in your favor for your future cutting endeavors.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, haumana said:

Wow. Well, thank you for at least allowing the volunteers on this forum a shot at possibly trying to assist you. Have you tried to submit a trouble ticket to USC? Not all of us own SC2 machines, but we try to help where we can, and as fast as we can. Shame on us for asking questions in an effort to try to help you. Whether you realize this or not, not all issues on the SC2 will be isolated to the SC2, however, we all try to come up with possible answers. Please accept my humble apology for wasting your time by mistakenly suggesting you move the pinch the roller - because you know, it actually works on other cutters. And sometimes, our non-specific machine suggestions and advice, actually help people with other models of cutters.

May the odds be ever in your favor for your future cutting endeavors.

This isn't my first rodeo.  I'm no stranger to tech forums, don't let the "newb" membership fool you.  I've been in professional tech since before the internet; before dial-up BBS forums.  I know too much how this works and I know what doesn't work.  White Knighting doesn't work, it delays real answers, it turns what should be a one page simple inquiry in to 10+ page topic with little useful information for future readers. So when MZ SKEETER flashes the I've been here a long time card, what should I do, grovel at his veteran status on the board?  Please...

First lesson in forums... never ask, well why do you need to do that? it's a response that produces noise in a topic.  What is the first response from MZ SKEETER? "why would you need to move it further to the right.?"  It like me saying my car make this noise when I go over 55, and the response from the mechanic is why do you need to go over 55?  Its irrelevant to the topic.

I did this right, all the information needed was in the original post, every subsequent question could be answered with the information in original post.  You know what else I did right, I posted in the SC Series Vinyl Cutter section, not in general section, not in Titan section, not MH section, not in the LaserPoint section.  You know why, because that would be foolish to expect SC series questions and inquiries to be answered in those sections.  By posting the SC Series Vinyl Cutter section I apparently had the unrealistic expectation that is where ownership and experience with SC Series KNOWLEDGE would be shared.

nice "Super Moderating"...

You really don't want to cut ALL the way to the edge anyway. If the blade drops off the edge of the vinyl as could happen if it tracks off any at all which it will you could have all kinds of bad things happen. If you need to cut wider you better go for the next step machine that can handle 30" material and then you will have plenty of room. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wildgoose said:

You really don't want to cut ALL the way to the edge anyway. If the blade drops off the edge of the vinyl as could happen if it tracks off any at all which it will you could have all kinds of bad things happen. If you need to cut wider you better go for the next step machine that can handle 30" material and then you will have plenty of room. 

Thanks for the response and that makes sense in terms of getting to close to the vinyl edge.  I was wondering if I was missing something beyond what I was seeing; at this point I'm really just looking for verification that 28" SC2 can't cut wider than 23.5".

35 minutes ago, dbc said:

Thanks for the response and that makes sense in terms of getting to close to the vinyl edge.  I was wondering if I was missing something beyond what I was seeing; at this point I'm really just looking for verification that 28" SC2 can't cut wider than 23.5".

according to their specifications on the sales page for the sc2 it will cut 24" wide with a 28" material width

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, dbc said:

This isn't my first rodeo.  I'm no stranger to tech forums, don't let the "newb" membership fool you.  I've been in professional tech since before the internet; before dial-up BBS forums.  I know too much how this works and I know what doesn't work.  White Knighting doesn't work, it delays real answers, it turns what should be a one page simple inquiry in to 10+ page topic with little useful information for future readers. So when MZ SKEETER flashes the I've been here a long time card, what should I do, grovel at his veteran status on the board?  Please...

First lesson in forums... never ask, well why do you need to do that? it's a response that produces noise in a topic.  What is the first response from MZ SKEETER? "why would you need to move it further to the right.?"  It like me saying my car make this noise when I go over 55, and the response from the mechanic is why do you need to go over 55?  Its irrelevant to the topic.

I did this right, all the information needed was in the original post, every subsequent question could be answered with the information in original post.  You know what else I did right, I posted in the SC Series Vinyl Cutter section, not in general section, not in Titan section, not MH section, not in the LaserPoint section.  You know why, because that would be foolish to expect SC series questions and inquiries to be answered in those sections.  By posting the SC Series Vinyl Cutter section I apparently had the unrealistic expectation that is where ownership and experience with SC Series KNOWLEDGE would be shared.

nice "Super Moderating"...

This isn't our first rodeo either, but thank you for assuming so. No one here assumed that you were a newbie (to forums), we just ask questions in an effort to assist.

Every forum has their own 'culture' for lack of better terms, and part of the culture in this forum is that most contributors try to be helpful. As I stated before, someone can post an inquiry in a specific bulletin board, but it doesn't mean that someone else with a different model can't try to help you.

If you only wanted to get responses from members who only own SC2's, then would this forum then get ripped on because you didn't get a response for days, or even weeks?

You only want a definitive answer, go straight to the manufacturer and submit a support ticket to USC.

• Like 2

good morning.

I own the SC2 unit. (34") -- when it is at the farthest right position, 3/4" gap exists between the head and the end cap.
This is due to the travel sensor. You can access it under the top rail. (remove both endcaps, then take out screws holding the top rail in place, and tilt it back).

It is rather easy to take a phillips screwdriver to your SC2 and see if there's a way to slightly alter that stop-point sensor to allow for a 1/4" more travel.

Let us know what you discover.

• Like 3

On 8/2/2020 at 4:40 AM, slice&dice said:

good morning.

I own the SC2 unit. (34") -- when it is at the farthest right position, 3/4" gap exists between the head and the end cap.
This is due to the travel sensor. You can access it under the top rail. (remove both endcaps, then take out screws holding the top rail in place, and tilt it back).

It is rather easy to take a phillips screwdriver to your SC2 and see if there's a way to slightly alter that stop-point sensor to allow for a 1/4" more travel.

Let us know what you discover.

Thank you, I will look into that and get back to the group with my findings.

I have a 28" SC2.  The widest I can cut is 23.6".  I even wrote it on a piece of tape and stuck it to the machine so I won't forget it.   I just account for that in all my designs and am ok with it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scratchthejeepguy said:

I have a 28" SC2.  The widest I can cut is 23.6".  I even wrote it on a piece of tape and stuck it to the machine so I won't forget it.   I just account for that in all my designs and am ok with it.

that make sense - what threw me from the beginning is OP says "can no longer set my origin point to" - so that would indicate at one point they could . . . .   THanks for clarifying Scratch 

16 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

that make sense - what threw me from the beginning is OP says "can no longer set my origin point to" - so that would indicate at one point they could . . . .   THanks for clarifying Scratch 

That is what I thought also.   That they could cut 24" but no longer would the cutter cut 24" .

• Like 1