GlassBlaster

Text Cropped along Bottom Edge

Hi, my first post! I'm currently using Inkscape to design with and SignBlazer 6 to cut. My text looks ok in Inksape but when imported into SignBlazer the bottom of the text is cropped (see photos). I'm only fairly new at this and can't find what I'm doing wrong; I'm sure it must be simple. I have tried two different fonts with the same results but I'm certain that's not the issue. Thanks in advance.

IMG_7678.JPG

IMG_7679.JPG

Hi, first thing, uncheck the Weed All box. It's not part of this issue, but just thought I should mention it.

Secondly, what happens when you TYPE IN the text directly? Why are you doing work in Inkscape and then importing? Why not just do things right within SBE?

Are the letters actually being cut off or is it just a display issue. I've seen SB do that occasionally when importing images. They don't look right until you zoom way in.

If they are being cropped have you tried converting the fonts to curves in Inkscape prior to saving the file. I'm assuming you're using the EPS file format? If not, try it and see if that helps.

You can also do a copy paste from Inkscape into SB, although when you do that the scale is usually wrong and you'll need to resize the image.

• Like 1

SBE also does not have the best display properties. There are many times that the text or graphic looks a bit rougher than it really is. You can use the redraw feature, but it only helps so much.

If you're only cutting text, I recommend typing it directly into SBE. Please keep in mind that it needs to be a .ttf font.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, haumana said:

SBE also does not have the best display properties. There are many times that the text or graphic looks a bit rougher than it really is. You can use the redraw feature, but it only helps so much.

If you're only cutting text, I recommend typing it directly into SBE. Please keep in mind that it needs to be a .ttf font.

for something that hasn't had development in 9 years it is amazing - heck, it is amazing it is still working much less working well

48 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

for something that hasn't had development in 9 years it is amazing - heck, it is amazing it is still working much less working well

I totally agree. I still use it, because I haven't made the time to get to know the Graphtect software yet <_<

• Like 1

17 hours ago, slice&dice said:

Hi, first thing, uncheck the Weed All box. It's not part of this issue, but just thought I should mention it.

Secondly, what happens when you TYPE IN the text directly? Why are you doing work in Inkscape and then importing? Why not just do things right within SBE?

"Weed All" now unchecked. I'm going to stick with using Inkscape as I'm getting used to it and haven't had issues with other projects and don't really want to start learning another programme. SBE has been good and it looks like Iv'e found the issue with Inkscape (see screenshot), the "5" is lower than the "1" but haven't worked out how to rectify it as yet. Thanks again.

Low 5.jpg

16 hours ago, darcshadow said:

Are the letters actually being cut off or is it just a display issue. I've seen SB do that occasionally when importing images. They don't look right until you zoom way in.

If they are being cropped have you tried converting the fonts to curves in Inkscape prior to saving the file. I'm assuming you're using the EPS file format? If not, try it and see if that helps.

You can also do a copy paste from Inkscape into SB, although when you do that the scale is usually wrong and you'll need to resize the image.

Yes they are being cut off and yes I am using eps file format. Iv'e tried a few things today including your suggestion but having no luck as yet but it looks like I've found the issue. See my reply to "slice&dice". Cheers.

3 hours ago, haumana said:

Thanks for your input. "ttf font", I'll make a note of that. Cheers.

Again, I cannot express this enough, and so will other members of this forum. If you are cutting text, especially .ttf text, then type it directly into SBE. You already said that you're using SBE to cut. There is nothing to "learn" if you want to cut text using SBE. Fire it up, Click on the Text tool, start typing. You can then change the font to whatever .ttf font is currently in your Windows Font library. You can scale it to whatever size you need, you can stretch it, shrink it, slant it, shadow it, outline it, etc.

Type .ttf text directly into whatever cutting software you are using is always the be way to cut text. The only times that I have to make an exception to that, is if a customer requests for a text that is .otf, then I have do that in PS, export it, and vectorize it so it can be imported SBE for cutting.

Any converted/vectorized text will create tons of unnecessary nodes and will never be as clean as type the font in directly. The less amount of nodes, typically the cleaner the cut. The less amount of nodes, typically the cutter can process it faster.

If you really want to take the time to only learn one piece of software to operate your cutter, then I would recommend consider getting something like Vinyl Master, where you can design and cut in just one software. You can Google them, and download a trial. Another company to consider is Easy Cut. There are several different programs that will allow you to design, vector, and cut from one program alone.

**And about the 5 being a little lower than the 1's, that's just how some fonts are. Have you tried to compare the drop loop on other numbers compared to the 1's as well? (i.e. 3, 6, 8, etc.)

• Like 1

Like haumana said, the 5 is designed to be like that. Almost every font has some size differences between letters and from my experience if you try to mess with them (like reshape the lower part or resize to be exactly the same as all the others) it will look "off". The guys who design fonts are pretty gifted at getting a balanced "look". 

Another work around that you might try is after you get your text ready to cut make your own box around it that allows a little free space and cut that box along with the text or numbers and it will act like a weeding box and keep your text up away from the edge. Just thinking inside the box a little. ::) If it doesn't actually cut the bottom part of the box who cares, it was just there to create space anyway your text will be in the clear. 

• Like 1

Thanks very much for the replies, I had no idea that some fonts are designed like that, it's no wonder I can't change it and have been pulling my hair out trying to sort it. I'll have to have a better look at SB for text etc it's just that Inkscape has a lot of features that I need because the text is constantly changing to suit different sized signs and I have another box around the text box that needs to be centered each time I make a change not to mention circles in my template that I need to dodge. I look into it in more depth tomorrow. Cheers.

SBE does allow for center justification, but there is no quick command to auto center objects and text, as least not to my knowledge.

SBE does allow you to stretch and shrink, by height and/or width, independently or while maintaining scaled proportion. I use it all the time.

Main thing is you find out what works for you. Now that you're getting Inkscape done, and using SBE to cut - I'd recommend getting to know the Node function well. It will come in quite handy.

SBE provides an ALIGNMENT feature (Arrange menu) that offers many different options for 'auto centering' objects and text in relation to each other; in relation to the edges of the workspace; or in relation to sign center.

Sorted; not 100% but near enough for me. My method using Inkscape was; Path>Object to Path, Object>Ungroup, Align bottom edge (bottom line of text only), Object>Group. The main issue with this method is that the text can no longer be edited as text, well I couldn't find a way. If there is a letter such as a "g" that letter should not be selected. Thanks again for all your help.

I'm still not quite sure why you are making things extremely difficult for yourself.

what are you trying to accomplish by vectorizing text? because i gotta say, unless it's an otf that I needed to cut, all .ttf text should just be typed directly into your cutting software. That applies to SBE, Flexi, EasyCut, SCALP, VM, Graphtec Studio, etc.

How do I center text in a square in SBE? I draw a straight vertical line and nudge the box to center itself on the line, then nudge the selected text (which was already center justified using SB text) and nudge that to center itself on the same vertical line.

Can't see the line because it's hidden behind another object? Bring the line to the front.

This stuff is all pretty basic, and we are trying to teach you the fastest and/or most effective way so that you can maximize your results, with minimum amount of effort and time. If you are going to use SBE as your cutting software, take the time to get to know how to use it more effectively, especially for things like simple text.

• Like 1