Foolish Oaf

Graphtec CE7000 improvements worth it?

I'm looking into upgrading from the TITAN cutter to a Graphtec. Maybe a Roland, but I've heard Graphtec is more accurate or whatnot.
I've been eyeing the CE7000-60 but I've seen a craiglist ad for a like new CE6000-60 for about $1200 and wondering if I would be missing out much from the improvements made on the CE7000. Basically just better ARMS is what I'm reading since I won't be doing fancy stuff like contour cutting.

Also any pointers on what I should look out for when purchasing used cutters. Thanks!

Where do you live?  Just checking out Ebay,  There are some Graphtec FC8000. 24" and 30" cutters that are for sale for about the price of the CE cutters being sold.  These cutters are like tanks, Built very sturdy.  Much more force than a CE. They come standard with the catch basket.. But make sure it is included in the ad.   So don't rule out the used FC units, when your looking.  I bought a new FC back in 2008,  Never a problem.  Also picked up a used FC8000 from Ebay a couple of years ago. No problems. Both of mine are 30"   I don't do contour cutting , so I didn't care about the ARMS.  I wanted a cutter, that would cut great, with great tracking.  These cutters cut very detailed designs great.  Set the settings and they are still there the next time,  No fiddling around with having to change anything when I cut. Maybe force once in a while for chrome vinyl. You can also change your settings from your computer with the Graphtec Cutting Controller. 

48 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Where do you live?  Just checking out Ebay,  There are some Graphtec FC8000. 24" and 30" cutters that are for sale for about the price of the CE cutters being sold.  These cutters are like tanks, Built very sturdy.  Much more force than a CE. They come standard with the catch basket.. But make sure it is included in the ad.   So don't rule out the used FC units, when your looking.  I bought a new FC back in 2008,  Never a problem.  Also picked up a used FC8000 from Ebay a couple of years ago. No problems. Both of mine are 30"   I don't do contour cutting , so I didn't care about the ARMS.  I wanted a cutter, that would cut great, with great tracking.  These cutters cut very detailed designs great.  Set the settings and they are still there the next time,  No fiddling around with having to change anything when I cut. Maybe force once in a while for chrome vinyl. You can also change your settings from your computer with the Graphtec Cutting Controller. 

Appreciate the response! I'm based in Houston! I wouldn't mind an FC although I've heard heard conflicting things about CE and FC. Not to waste time on the CE version of the Graphtec line and that FC being mainly used for industrial production while hearing great things about the CE and stuff. But I suppose that's just someone having a bad day/experience. I'll definitely check out FC listings on eBay. I've done some research about the FC as well but didn't get much info other than that it can cut faster (not that it really matters) and can cut thicker materials.

I guess may main concern is problems that COULD occur and don't want to be SOL when it starts acting up weird. But I am now also leaning towards the FC now haha.

I purchased 2 new Ce5000-60's for my kids.  1 was around 2012.  The other around 2015.  Never any problems.  Many people on this forum own Graphtec Ce vinyl cutters, Rarely do you hear any problems,  Mostly user error.  Graphtec cutters have a great resale value, because of great quality and they last for years. 

Speed doesn't matter to me,  I cut slow regardless.  Just like now, I am cutting and doing orders and answering questions on this forum.    The reason I choose the 30" is because, (which is only in the FC line), is because I had a Seiki 36 Inch, and had designs for that size.  Now part of my nich'e is those larger sizes, which get me more money. I cut very detailed designs, and they cannot be overlapped, they are 1 decal 27" 28" wide.  I can also cut detailed designs up to 16 ft long with out any tracking problems.  I have never tried over 16 ft long, because I only have an 8 ft table.  I would guess more CE vinyl cutters are sold than the FC unit, because of price.   Also parts are still sold for the FC8000.  I barely see a difference between the FC8000  and the FC8600,  You might also find good deals on the FC8600.  

• Like 1

I have had many ce5000-60's. 2 ce6000-60's and never a problem out of them unless I break a blade tip or user error like skeeter said - I can go away for 3 week vacation and fire up cutting right away with no messing with settings etc like I used to do with the value plotters.  I have also had several rolands but stay with the graphtecs because of the fine detail we are known for here.   The ce7000 is new enough I doubt we have anyone on here with experience yet with it - hopefully soon

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

I purchased 2 new Ce5000-60's for my kids.  1 was around 2012.  The other around 2015.  Never any problems.  Many people on this forum own Graphtec Ce vinyl cutters, Rarely do you hear any problems,  Mostly user error.  Graphtec cutters have a great resale value, because of great quality and they last for years. 

Speed doesn't matter to me,  I cut slow regardless.  Just like now, I am cutting and doing orders and answering questions on this forum.    The reason I choose the 30" is because, (which is only in the FC line), is because I had a Seiki 36 Inch, and had designs for that size.  Now part of my nich'e is those larger sizes, which get me more money. I cut very detailed designs, and they cannot be overlapped, they are 1 decal 27" 28" wide.  I can also cut detailed designs up to 16 ft long with out any tracking problems.  I have never tried over 16 ft long, because I only have an 8 ft table.  I would guess more CE vinyl cutters are sold than the FC unit, because of price.   Also parts are still sold for the FC8000.  I barely see a difference between the FC8000  and the FC8600,  You might also find good deals on the FC8600.  

Quick question, are the programs that come with Graphtec cutters usually tied to the cutter. I would just need to enter in the serial number to have access to Graphtec's own cutting software?
I think the max I'll go for is a FC8000 unless I find a really good deal for the FC8600 but it seems like at that point, I would have to be in the business of contour cutting. I'm hoping to upgrade to get into the servo motor lifestyle but really curious of the difference considering that I seem to cut pretty accurately to my liking by messing with the offset and overcut. I'm hoping with the accuracy of the servo motor, that making layered designs would be a lot more accurate (since I do seem to have that problem where my markings either come short or just somehow shrunk and not able to line them up accurately)

14 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

I have had many ce5000-60's. 2 ce6000-60's and never a problem out of them unless I break a blade tip or user error like skeeter said - I can go away for 3 week vacation and fire up cutting right away with no messing with settings etc like I used to do with the value plotters.  I have also had several rolands but stay with the graphtecs because of the fine detail we are known for here.   The ce7000 is new enough I doubt we have anyone on here with experience yet with it - hopefully soon

I don't doubt the Graphtec brand as I've been hearing high praises for them. I'm more concerned about using used graphtec cutters since I'm seeing really high prices for replacement parts that are more serious and not minor. Would you be able to offer the main aspects of the cutters I should be looking out for when purchasing used like pinch rollers?

You can download the Graphtec software right now, from the Graphtec site.  No serial number required. Graphtec software runs on GP-GL language.  Graphtec language,  But you can use any other type of software, on the HP-GL language.  I use Flexi software to cut with.  You can even use the old Signblazer software.  Many are still using it on their newer Graphtecs, because they didn't want to learn a new software when they bought them.  I have never needed to replace any parts in 12 years and I cut almost everyday.  Why pinch rollers? Your supposed to leave the pinch rollers up when not in use.  On Graphtecs blade offset is ZERO.   No need to change it.  The biggest problems with people getting vinyl cutters, is they don't set the blade depth correctly.  Too many are using this credit card or post it notes for blade depth.  It is 10 times too much blade depth and just plain wrong.  The correct instructions have been posted on this forum hundreds of times.And listed under the BLADE depth category.  You may even have your blade depth wrong. FC8000 on up also have a dual blade holder position, so you can cut all the way thru, or perf cut the vinyl with out a carrier sheet.  It also has a cross cutter blade to cut your vinyl off after cutting your design.  Graphtecs are made with good quality parts, not like a Titan or a value cutter. Night and day difference.   My cutter weighs around 86 pounds with the stand, which is also very well built. The FC cutters are on castor wheels. 

• Like 1

the graphtec pro studio is private labeled flexi pro - without the rip included - it would run about $2K alone for the software making the plotters an even better deal