gridforcedesign

MH 365 Calibration Issues

Hello everyone, I am having issues calibrating and getting clean lines with my MH365. I am not stranger to vinyl cutters, we picked this cutter up to help with the recent order load. I have an SC2 which has never had any issues and I thought that it might be the case with this one too. So far, I have been horribly wrong. The experience has been anything but easy. Starting with having to take apart the machine to find a plug disconnected to get the thing to even turn on. 

I have tried every blade length from the recommend half a credit card to too far out to not enough blade sticking out. I am familiar with the paper test and I know how to set the blade properly. I have tried a variety of cut pressures and speed settings and haven't even come close to clean, straight lines. I am cutting your standard Oracal 651 in white, nothing fancy or remotely exotic. I wasted more than enough vinyl trying to get clean cuts. 

Am I missing something with this cutter? I know it is about as entry level as it gets, but I was expecting to get at least basic cuts out of it. The decals I am cutting are not highly detailed or even small. I am stumped and frustrated. I am hoping there is a solution other than just buying another SC2 which I think would have been the right move from the get go.

The half credit card is NOT the recommended setting. How exactly did you set the blade length? If you tried cutting with the blade too far out like it sounds you've done, you may have broken the tip of the blade and need a new one.

What exactly is the problem you're having?

• Like 1

I followed the instructions that came with my blade, they are also found here: https://www.uscuttersupport.com/downloads/Support_PDF/CutterSetup/Blade_Guide.pdf

If you don't want to click the support link it says, "The “ball-park” length of blade that you’ll want exposed will be equal to half the thickness of a credit card. Hold the blade edge-wise against the side of your credit card. The tip of the blade should end half-way through the thickness of the credit card. If the tip of the blade goes past or reaches the other side of the card as in the pictured below, then you have too much blade showing."

This is where I started with blade height. I did not change blade height until after I played with the pressure and speed settings and could not get clean cuts.

The problem I am having is when I do the calibration test, I am not getting clean cuts on the calibration test letters with the vinyl. The letters are all rounded or unevenly cut lines. The best way to imagine it is it looks like the cutter is drunken cutting out the vinyl. The pen test gave me clean and straight lines and thats why I moved to vinyl with the same settings. 

1 hour ago, gridforcedesign said:

I followed the instructions that came with my blade, they are also found here: https://www.uscuttersupport.com/downloads/Support_PDF/CutterSetup/Blade_Guide.pdf

If you don't want to click the support link it says, "The “ball-park” length of blade that you’ll want exposed will be equal to half the thickness of a credit card. Hold the blade edge-wise against the side of your credit card. The tip of the blade should end half-way through the thickness of the credit card. If the tip of the blade goes past or reaches the other side of the card as in the pictured below, then you have too much blade showing."

This is where I started with blade height. I did not change blade height until after I played with the pressure and speed settings and could not get clean cuts.

The problem I am having is when I do the calibration test, I am not getting clean cuts on the calibration test letters with the vinyl. The letters are all rounded or unevenly cut lines. The best way to imagine it is it looks like the cutter is drunken cutting out the vinyl. The pen test gave me clean and straight lines and thats why I moved to vinyl with the same settings. 

ignore that and go to this link for setting you blade - helped thousands of new users with this

• Like 1

get your blade exposure set right and then go to this one for offset to fix the corners

• Like 1

Also take a good look at the arm that holds the blade holder. It sounds like your blade holder might be moving around in the holding arm. The arm could be either broke, or simply not tight enough. Take care not to over tighten it though or it will break.

On a side note. Why are these instructions for setting the blade still on the USCutter's pages? Half a credit card is nearly 10x too much blade. Then it says to set the depth cutting paper, why? Why not give instructions to set the blade depth cutting, oh I don't know, maybe VINYL. :huh:

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, darcshadow said:

Also take a good look at the arm that holds the blade holder. It sounds like your blade holder might be moving around in the holding arm. The arm could be either broke, or simply not tight enough. Take care not to over tighten it though or it will break.

On a side note. Why are these instructions for setting the blade still on the USCutter's pages? Half a credit card is nearly 10x too much blade. Then it says to set the depth cutting paper, why? Why not give instructions to set the blade depth cutting, oh I don't know, maybe VINYL:huh:

because they hire new people every couple of years to update and modernize the page that have little to no real live experience with the plotters.  I went to a trade show where the sales manager was with a new person and they couldn't get the ce6000 on display to initiate - I showed them how so they could have a working plotter . . .   since then the sales manager has quit - new marketing manager and lots of new techs lol

I know that you've explained that you cannot get it to cut right, but it really would be helpful if you posted pictures of how horrible it is, so we can take a look at what is happening. Are the horrible cuts happening when you're cutting your design you're sending to test, or when you're trying to run the test cut from the cutter control panel? I know that some cutters "test" cut does a bunch of text, while others just give you a basic box, or shapes. Your best bet, go back to basics, as if you're a totally newbie to cutting.

Check the tip of the blade, even though it's new - it doesn't hurt to see if it's all copacetic.
Get the blade depth set properly.
Make sure that your blade can spin freely in the blade holder.
Make sure the blade holder is secured properly in the carriage head.
Make sure the cutting strip is seated in the machine flat.
Make sure the vinyl you're cutting has enough slack off the roll.
Get it to cut well first and foremost, then you can chase after the correct offset.

1912865963_offsetpic.gif.484897e2df151e75066af3a1fcce0f30.gif

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for responding. We ended up just running everything through the SC2 for the time being to get orders out. I haven't had time to read the linked posts and dig through everything yet, I fully plan on it this weekend. Thank you again.

I was able to dig a sample calibration cut test out of the trash. White vinyl is very hard to photograph and show the cuts, but I tried to weed some as well to show you guys. I think you can still see this are not good cuts or close to it. Many other calibration samples very similar if not worse. 

I'm not giving up on this machine yet and will report back with hopefully good news

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0079-2.jpg

Moving forward, use the test button on the cutter itself. It'll make a small star with a box around it, about an inch square I think. Get the blade dialed in using that, then go to your software and adjust the offset and over cut. And so you don't have to waste a lot of vinyl, you can use the arrow buttons and origin button to reposition where the stare/square will be cut. So on a 24" wide roll you can get around 15-20 tests

Have you tried adjusting the tension on the pinch rollers? If not, great! If you have, that could be a problem as well. Getting the tension reset correctly can a challenge and everyone on here advises not to touch them.

You probably also need a new blade. I see you're making an indentation into the backing but the cuts are not clean, I would suspect either the tip of the blade is broke, or very dull. Another reason not to cut post-it notes to set blade depth, paper will dull a blade very quick.

• Like 1

Finally had a chance and time to try to dial this cutter in. I don't think I am making any progress. I am getting good test cuts, but when I try to dial in the offset I get no where. Here is an example of the best cut with an offset of .42, I walked the machine up and down the offset points trying to get straight line and sharp corners. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

IMG_0114.JPG

slice n dice is the mh loving person on the forum - but this is a great example of why we suggest people start with an sc2 and not an mh - you will become a great troubleshooter before you are done.  ohh and have lots less hair.        if it is new contact support - if used try a new blade holder, check the blade holding retainer for cracks.   how big are those numbers also?

• Like 1

The test cuts are looking a little better though :D

I don't think you're problem is offset at this point, most of those corners look pretty sharp to me.

Did you use the test button on the machine? What does that cut look like?

Not funny, yet funny. Glad you did what you needed to do to get everything copacetic.