isanabria79

Very very very old VE LYNX 24

Hello,  hope everyone is doing well during these crazy times. 

I have an old LYNX24 from Sign Warehouse that I got from a friend.  It uses VE LXi software version 6.6v.1 with a dongle. I have it set up with a computer that runs Windows XP and it runs great still.  I wanted to know if there is any way to use that vinyl cutter with other cutting software.  I have Windows 10 x64 bit and would prefer to be able to use  the LYNX with that computer since I also have a Silhouette Cameo. I do all of my designing in Illustrator so I only use the LXi software to cut what ever design I bring in from Illustrator. Don't know if I could use something like Sure Cuts A lot to be able to cut.  I have a USB printer cable I can use but I'm willing to install a PCI Parallel Adapter Card to use the original cable it came with. 

Is this something that can be done or will I just need to keep 2 computers to be able to keep using the LYNX.  Thank you very much for your help.

Sincerely,

Ismael.   

Have you looked up the spec's on for the LYNX24, or contacted Sign Warehouse? Have you tried to connect your Win10 to the LYNX24?

5 minutes ago, haumana said:

Have you looked up the spec's on for the LYNX24, or contacted Sign Warehouse? Have you tried to connect your Win10 to the LYNX24?

No I haven't connect it  because I'm scared it will damage it lol... I never thought about looking up the spec's..  what information should i be looking for in the spec's?  I tried once to contact Sign Warehouse but they wouldn't help me because 1 - I wasn't original owner and 2 - because its really old and its not supported anymore. 

I'm not sure what kind of damage you think you could do. But you can just try to download whatever software you think you will want to use on your Win10 machine and plug in the cutter and see if it'll connect. Most of cutting software companies will offer a trial version of their software. You could also reach out to those companies and ask them if your cutter is compatible.

This is from the Easy Cut Studio website of compatible cutters (which is pretty lengthy):

• Vinyl Express Lynx S-60
  • Vinyl Express Lynx S-30
  • Vinyl Express Lynx S-132

https://files.signwarehouse.com/tech_assets/manuals/Lynx_Manual.pdf

Google is your friend, and will go a very long way with information.

On a different forum, someone asked your same question - this was a link that was provided by someone who responded there. (I accept no responsibility for whether this software is compatible or not. It is up to you to do your due diligence).  http://www.signgo.com/

3 minutes ago, haumana said:

I'm not sure what kind of damage you think you could do. But you can just try to download whatever software you think you will want to use on your Win10 machine and plug in the cutter and see if it'll connect. Most of cutting software companies will offer a trial version of their software. You could also reach out to those companies and ask them if your cutter is compatible.

https://files.signwarehouse.com/tech_assets/manuals/Lynx_Manual.pdf

Thanks I ordered a PCI Parallel card. I'll try to connect it when It gets here on the 26th and see what it does.  Also thanks for the manual, I actually still have the original manual.  :)

Another thing you can try ... install the Lynx software on to your Win10 machine. There are some pretty old software out there that (by some miracle) can run on Win10. It's an oddity, but it's worth a try. I mean SBE runs on all kinds of versions of Windows :P

• Like 1

On 6/24/2020 at 9:45 PM, haumana said:

Another thing you can try ... install the Lynx software on to your Win10 machine. There are some pretty old software out there that (by some miracle) can run on Win10. It's an oddity, but it's worth a try. I mean SBE runs on all kinds of versions of Windows :P

I tried to install the software but the dongle doesn't work on the windows 10 computer. I tried it again on the win xp computer and it works fine.. 

remember on the windows 10 computer you have to also install the sentinel software so it can read the dongle.  not sure if it will work but lots of people have forgot that step when changing computers

On 6/26/2020 at 5:41 PM, Dakotagrafx said:

remember on the windows 10 computer you have to also install the sentinel software so it can read the dongle.  not sure if it will work but lots of people have forgot that step when changing computers

Thanks, I checked on that and downloaded the ones for HASP but i don't know what i need to do.  it gives options but when you click ok it just closes. 

Capture.PNG

11 hours ago, isanabria79 said:

Thanks, I checked on that and downloaded the ones for HASP but i don't know what i need to do.  it gives options but when you click ok it just closes. 

Capture.PNG

That could be a problem if the hasp (the used hasp and sentinel in the past)  it has to be able to communicate with that dongle to work

Did you reboot your computer after you installed the driver? Leave the dongle in the computer.  I had an old Flexisign 7.6  which I put on Windows 7,  After I rebooted the computer, it worked.  That is all the info that I have

• Like 1

2 hours ago, isanabria79 said:

Thanks i went through all the ones that said HASP4 and kept getting errors until i found 1 and the dongle now lights up but the LXi software still telling me it needs a dongle to run :(

just to check all the boxes - you got the product id and password for the software too - right?

On 6/28/2020 at 6:52 PM, MZ SKEETER said:

Did you reboot your computer after you installed the driver? Leave the dongle in the computer.  I had an old Flexisign 7.6  which I put on Windows 7,  After I rebooted the computer, it worked.  That is all the info that I have

Yes i tried that no luck :(

On 6/28/2020 at 7:19 PM, Dakotagrafx said:

just to check all the boxes - you got the product id and password for the software too - right?

Yup that too... still nothing.  i tried cutting with the sure cuts a lot trial software and i got it to work.. I think ill just pay the 59 bucks and get it.  I have a silhouette also with i could use that software with the lynx.

On 6/27/2020 at 11:55 PM, isanabria79 said:

That screen there is basically an instruction screen. It's telling you the commands line options. You would need to open a command/terminal window then type Hinstall -i.

I would guess, if you scroll down that window there is an example.