Sign in to follow this  
CoastalBoards

SC2 and CPU not connecting

I have a new SC2 28" and a windows 7 laptop.  I have been messing around with the Vinyl Master Cut program for a couple of weeks now (designing stuff and all).  Last night I hooked up the cutter but the vinyl spooler says it cant detect the device.  The COM3 in port name is greyed out and says not connected.  Under device manager I don't have anything that says 'ports'.  I downloaded the driver  that in another post MZ SKEETER said gives the port number, but still nothing.  As far as I know I have the latest update, V4.2.  Maybe I'm in over my head with this thing, as  I am NOT a computer person.  Didn't figure I'd have so much computer setup to do.  I ordered the Tripp Lite Keyspan adapter the I saw in another thread and that is supposed to be delivered today (maybe that's the issue). TIA for any and all help

It is strange that your computer doesn't connect via USB. The adapter you ordered will provide you with a Serial (DB9) output to the cutter.

Let us know what you discover.

3 hours ago, CoastalBoards said:

... The COM3 in port name is greyed out and says not connected.  Under device manager I don't have anything that says 'ports'.  ...

It might be listed in Device Manager, under "Universal Serial Bus controllers"

Since you ordered a (Tripplite) keyspan, you will also need a serial cable, make sure it's a Null Modem (or cross over) cable.

"Since you ordered a (Tripplite) keyspan, you will also need a serial cable, make sure it's a Null Modem (or cross over) cable."

A brand-new SC2 cutter comes with one in the accessories box

I got the tripplite adapter hooked up and the COM3 in the spooler settings is no longer greyed out and I now have 'ports' listed in Device Manager but there is still no communication between the computer and cutter.  I'm watching the video for cutter setup and calibration and when I follow the procedure for setting  Baud Rate and Flow control the cutter is not responding.

Nevermind on the no response, I just removed the blade (just to be on the safe side) and sent a test cut to the machine and it responded.  Should I just bypass setting the baud rate and flow control?

Now, does anyone happen to know why the blade would not be going down to the material being cut?  I ran the little triangle in a square test cut that the manual recommends and the blade doesn't go down anywhere close to the material, I'd say probably a 1/4" away .  Also the far right pinch roller has a catch in it and when the material backs up and then advances it wrinkles the vinyl.  Feels like a bad bearing if I spin the roller by hand.   

Make sure the blade holder is properly seated in the retainer arm.

Don't slide that far-right pressure roller over so far, it needs to be positioned with the grit rollers beneath (the farthest-right position will miss the lower roller, the manufacturer should have put in a stop-screw on the back rail to prevent that, but they didn't, so the user has to pay attention to avoiding that spot).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

Make sure the blade holder is properly seated in the retainer arm.

Don't slide that far-right pressure roller over so far, it needs to be positioned with the grit rollers beneath (the farthest-right position will miss the lower roller, the manufacturer should have put in a stop-screw on the back rail to prevent that, but they didn't, so the user has to pay attention to avoiding that spot).

Thank you.  I read back through some older posts and found where you mentioned that about the stopper.  Read some more and realized I had the blade holder flange on top of the clamp instead of seated in the groove.  FINALLY. CUT. SOME. VINYL.   Thank you for the help, I can start working on orders.  

• Like 1

You're welcome.

I know that feeling -- when after troubleshooting all sorts of things, the cutter actually decides to start working! Yippeeee!

Now, of course, you are doomed, because the orders keep on coming and your "hungry monster" machine needs to be kept fed!

hungry-monster.jpg

• Haha 1