PBR Allstar

Work not transferring to cut correctly

After years of trouble free service, SB started really acting up for me today. 

when I go to cut one of three things is happening

1: program totally freezes

2: program totally freezes and I get a phantom “select” box in the lower right corner

3: It opens the cutter and gives me the most jumbled image ever (yes, it cuts jumbled as well)

B8D83B13-D99E-463F-9D2A-FCE83720C9DD.jpeg

9CF0B8D9-7D9C-413F-9309-E10F5564EA36.jpeg

80B5BB92-7AB7-444D-BCD5-32E18A837256.jpeg

Slice&dice

ive uninstalled and reinstalled from the link provided,  still the same issue, but I did notice that it still says “SignBlazer 6.0 Basic”  When the program is open?

May I ask if you do the original design in SBE, or was this an imported vector file from a different program?

Would you mind sharing the vector file with us? Then we can do a test layout in different programs. If you don't feel comfortable sharing it publicly, that's all good too. If you PM a few of the regulars here (who have offered you support), we're usually pretty good about testing your file and will let you know the results we get.

If it just suddenly started acting funny, what on the computer changed? Was a windows update pushed?

5 hours ago, haumana said:

May I ask if you do the original design in SBE, or was this an imported vector file from a different program?

Would you mind sharing the vector file with us? Then we can do a test layout in different programs. If you don't feel comfortable sharing it publicly, that's all good too. If you PM a few of the regulars here (who have offered you support), we're usually pretty good about testing your file and will let you know the results we get.

I’m at work right now but yeah I can do that tonight.  

30 minutes ago, darcshadow said:

If it just suddenly started acting funny, what on the computer changed? Was a windows update pushed?

Literally nothing.   This computer is just running Inkscape and SB.  It’s running Windows XP and actually it hasn’t even been connected to the internet in several months.  The problem happened once before a couple weeks and I just closed the cutter, reopened it and it was fine.  

I have all my SBD files backed up on a jump drive,  so today I’m going to install SB on my work computer and see if they all open in the cut window normally. 

All the files were created in SB and have worked previously.  I can make a simple text design in SB, weld it, and it will want to freeze or cut funny, but some of my simple files will still want to cut just fine.  

8 hours ago, PBR Allstar said:

Slice&dice

ive uninstalled and reinstalled from the link provided,  still the same issue, but I did notice that it still says “SignBlazer 6.0 Basic”  When the program is open?

If you look in the HELP/ABOUT menu the version reads 7.0.0

Consider ourselves lucky to have it available at all -- USCUTTER keeps that directory open for our refererence, it's still a nice resource despite the lack of support and no updates.

I'm surprised you're getting this type of glitch. I would rebuild the cut file from scratch, and verify there's no gremlins lurking in there.

The only real bug I've encountered with SBE is when trying to copy/paste images straight from an Internet page. That'll crash her.

13 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

Consider ourselves lucky to have it available at all -- USCUTTER keeps that directory open for our refererence, it's still a nice resource despite the lack of support and no updates.

I'm surprised you're getting this type of glitch. I would rebuild the cut file from scratch, and verify there's no gremlins lurking in there.

The only real bug I've encountered with SBE is when trying to copy/paste images straight from an Internet page. That'll crash her.

S&D, What do you mean By rebuilding the cut files?

Start a new document. Type in your Copperplate text. Add the crown (make sure it renders properly in wireframe/Node editing mode, with no strays).

See if it cuts correctly.

9CF0B8D9-7D9C-413F-9309-E10F5564EA36.jpeg

Okay, here’s where I’m at. 

I loaded SB 7.0.0 on my work laptop which is windows 10,  I took my master backup of all my SBD files and they all open perfectly and open in the cut window perfectly.   I made a separate copy of all the SBD files on my graphics computer to try on the laptop to see if it was file corruption, and those all opened perfectly and transferred to the cut window perfectly.  

Ive uninstalled/reinstalled SB twice now on the my XP graphics computer using the windows Add/Remove program wizard but I’m still having the same issue.  Weird thing though, it’s not removing the desktop icon for SB, and it just sits on the desktop dead so I’m wondering if the program is not completely uninstalling? (I’m not the most computer savvy)  is it also safe to rule out a driver issue to the plotter seeing as my problems exist well before I’m trying to communicate with the plotter?

I feel like I’m missing something with the Uninstalling of the program?

Lastly,  how big of a pain is it to get windows 10 to communicate to my MH721-mk2 plotter? 

thanks for all the help thus far,  I’m very grateful for the resource.  

If you can avoid Win10, please do so. The auto updates are problematic for a lot of user's, in general.

If you can manage to find some kind of registery cleaner for your XP machine (make sure you make a back up copy of it), then uninstall and run the cleaner, then reboot, and run the cleaner again, reboot, reinstall SBE.

I’ve been really busy and have put this down for a while but I’m back to try and figure it out again. 

here’s where I’m at:

unistalled/reinstalled has done nothing

installed SBD on my win10 laptop and it works fine, all my files look fine in the edit window and cut windows

unistaled, ran CCleaner, restarted, ran again, restarted and installed SBD,  still doing the exact same things as before. (Jumbles when opened in cut screen, freezes when pressing cut in design screen, sometimes a phantom box will appear even if it’s drawn in a new file)

images are of a new file, one text word, welded/grouped, pressed cut.  Once a jumble transfer, once a frozen screen with phantom selection box.  

C3195D9A-D3B3-4475-BCF5-08E22DB491F2.jpeg

BA788579-FF17-4403-AC8D-1E3C94DBDAB7.jpeg

EB6B6E31-5B74-4A26-B69A-8BE07564C8E9.jpeg

If you're trying in straight text in to SBE, there doesn't appear to be any overlapping, so there is no need to weld or punch.

If it's flipping or rotating, it's something in the software. Try checking (or unchecking) the Mirror option on the cut screen and see if that helps.

2 hours ago, haumana said:

If you're trying in straight text in to SBE, there doesn't appear to be any overlapping, so there is no need to weld or punch.

If it's flipping or rotating, it's something in the software. Try checking (or unchecking) the Mirror option on the cut screen and see if that helps.

Well,  I went a bit more aggressive with the registry cleaning and now I can’t even restore it and it just keeps cycling through a “windows did not start normally” screen.  

I checked all the mirror settings but it’s not a consistent problem like that.  Some files open fine, others totally screwy.  

I really feel like it’s an OS problem and the way it’s interfacing with SBE.  Like I mentioned,  I installed the program from the same USB drive on my windows 10 machine and it’s all flawless (minus the whole actually understanding how to make it communicate to my MH cutter)

I’m going to wipe the whole thing and start over.   I have everything backed up so it’s not a big deal.  

regarding talking to the cutter with Windows 10. You're best bet, assuming your computer does not have a comm port, would be to get a tripp light usb to serial adapter and talk to the cutter through the comm port and null modem cable.

12 hours ago, darcshadow said:

regarding talking to the cutter with Windows 10. You're best bet, assuming your computer does not have a comm port, would be to get a tripp light usb to serial adapter and talk to the cutter through the comm port and null modem cable.

Is it pretty straight forward at that point or is there still a lot of hoops to jump through?   I have SBE running on my win10 laptop but have only really read headaches about trying to make it talk to the Cutter?

Definitely scan the HD for any bad sectors, you never know. I've had brand new HD's shipped to me be d.o.a. <_<

57 minutes ago, haumana said:

Definitely scan the HD for any bad sectors, you never know. I've had brand new HD's shipped to me be d.o.a. <_<

I’m going to drop it off with a local computer tech,   I’m honestly in over my head at this point as far as making sure the OS and hardware is in perfect working order. 

44 minutes ago, PBR Allstar said:

I’m going to drop it off with a local computer tech,   I’m honestly in over my head at this point as far as making sure the OS and hardware is in perfect working order. 

If you're working with Windows 10, it will never be in perfect working order. Hahaha. Sad, but true. Things will work for a while, and then comes along a fabulous Microsoft (forced) update, and then stuff doesn't work anymore. I ran into that issue more than several times. I hope it all works out for you.180903505_shakeemjoi.gif.e19dedc27d6dda295fc0eddc6d3cb144.gif

13 hours ago, haumana said:

If you're working with Windows 10, it will never be in perfect working order. Hahaha. Sad, but true. Things will work for a while, and then comes along a fabulous Microsoft (forced) update, and then stuff doesn't work anymore. I ran into that issue more than several times. I hope it all works out for you.180903505_shakeemjoi.gif.e19dedc27d6dda295fc0eddc6d3cb144.gif

I was told by darcshadow via PM the Tripp Lite cables work better than most with windows 10 because they update their drivers along with windows updates?   

I still want to get my primary machine up and running again, but really wouldn’t mind having a back up option.  

8 hours ago, PBR Allstar said:

I was told by darcshadow via PM the Tripp Lite cables work better than most with windows 10 because they update their drivers along with windows updates?   

I still want to get my primary machine up and running again, but really wouldn’t mind having a back up option.  

I agree. Tripp Lite is the most reliable, not to say other keyspan brands wont work - some will, some wont, some intermittently. Windows 10 will always create hurdle, unless people are willing to take their computers offline and move file via a flash drive. As long as it's connected to the internet, it will always want to check for updates periodically and without requiring any type of authorization or prompts :(  Not all updates are like that, just some.