brent_bousquet

mh721-mk2 not cutting whole image and making a diagonal cut in the middle of the cut

Have you tried to do as Admin  or in SAFE MODE?   Many have just connected with a Tripp-Lite Keyspan Adapter and have gone on with life.  It is a much better connection anyway,  It's a much better data flow. More like True USB.  Tripp-lite is the brand name.  Use with the null modem cable that came with the cutter.  You have wasted days trying to get this going, and you may have to buy it anyway, because those cutters are POS. 

i ordered one it will be here in a few days. If its a driver issue then will that really solve my problem? I didnt get the cable with the cutter. it was long since lost, so i also got tripp-lite null cable 

The Tripp-lite Keyspan Adapter has it's own driver and creates a com port number.  Order a null modem cable.  USB end of Tripp lite goes into a usb port on your computer,  Null modem cable connects to serial end  of Tripplite.  Other serial end goes to the cutter. 

I see so it basically bypasses all this mess I'm having. Well I ordered it all yesterday and Amazon says it will be here in two days so I guess I will have an update then

Yes..  It goes on the serial connection.  As mentioned those MH cutters have a cheap Chinese chip set in them.  Have you done test cuts (TEST feature) with it yet and have the blade depth set up on it?   Do not use anything that you have seen that says use a credit card or post it notes, to measure blade depth.  those are wrong. 

I did, it makes a star and it works fine. I didn't touch the blade depth though. I did see a few things saying it should be half the with of a credit card but i figured once I got this sorted I would do that next. How would you check the blade height?

This is posted hundreds and hundreds of times on this forum

This is correct way to set your blade depth.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and in your hand, firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should just barely see and feel your blade tip out of the blade holder.

14 hours ago, brent_bousquet said:

What is the best way to ground the cutter to the stand? everything looks like plastic or its painted. 

I went from a screw on the stand the earth ground on the AC connector inside the cutter. Others have just gone screw to screw, and others have scraped away paint under said screws. You could also go straight to the ground pin of an outlet if you wanted although that's not a very clean way of doing it.

Just an update I got the Tripp lite adaptor and serial cable but I didn't realize I need to change the gender of one end of the cable. So I ordered yet another adaptor. Hopefully should be here tomorrow, luckily I live close to an Amazon center. I went screw to screw for now, if I have issues I will get more invasive

The Tripp-lite Keyspan Adapter requires a null modem cable fully connected between the end of the adapter and the vinyl cutter. or it will not work. Hopefully you get a correct null modem cable connected properly.  Can you post what you ordered? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slice&dice said:

Probably two female ends, instead of male-female

Yup so I need a male to male adaptor so the screw threads are sticking out as well as the pins. Its very annoying you can get serial cables with screws or nuts with ether the male or female ends, probably should have just standardized them

17 minutes ago, brent_bousquet said:

Yup so I need a male to male adaptor so the screw threads are sticking out as well as the pins. Its very annoying you can get serial cables with screws or nuts with ether the male or female ends, probably should have just standardized them

The correct null modem cable was with the vinyl cutter, when it was sold, and they are standard for a vinyl cutter. It would have worked with the Tripp-lite keyspan adapter. 

1 hour ago, MZ SKEETER said:

The correct null modem cable was with the vinyl cutter, when it was sold, and they are standard for a vinyl cutter. It would have worked with the Tripp-lite keyspan adapter. 

From his earlier posting -- I didnt get the cable with the cutter. it was long since lost.

5 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

From his earlier posting -- I didnt get the cable with the cutter. it was long since lost.

I knew that.  He was stating cables are not standard. They are standard when they come with the cutter. His was not with the cutter they were going to throw away. But that standard cable would have worked. 

If you're cable has a male and female, you might want to double check, it might not be a null modem cable. The standard for null modem cables are female/female.

• Like 1

The difference in a null modem cable and a regular serial cable is 2 of the wires are switched at one end so pin out is different, it has nothing to do with the ends 

• Like 1

okay my adapter came in and i installed the software for the tripp-lite but now the cutter isnt working at all. I can see the tripp-lite in signblazer and send it the cut but then it just fails. I can also see the tripp-lite in sure cut but when i hit test connection nothing happens.

Did you go into device manager and see which com port # was assigned, to the Keyspan,  then go into Signblazer and choose that com port#?  They must match. as well, as well as the baud rates. and select the Redsail cutter in the set up. Com port # 4 or less. 

Yes in signblazer com selection I can actually see the keyspan listed. It says com 3 then following that is the name of the keyspan. And yes it's one of the redsail cutters. There are a few options of them I chose the redsail 720.

what do you have the baud rate at?   They have to match, in the Keyspan and Signblazer  It has to be on  Hardware