brent_bousquet

mh721-mk2 not cutting whole image and making a diagonal cut in the middle of the cut

So i got this mh721-mk2 from my work because they bought it but never figured out how to use it and where just going to throw it out. So even though its a few years old its never been used. I plugged it in and got the free trial for sure cuts a lot 5 pro and it worked fine, but after I bought sure cuts a lot the cutter isnt working right. 

Symptoms: doesnt cut all the lines in the image, Also cuts a diagonal toward the left side instead of cutting what its supposed to. It will then go back to the spot it would normally be cutting a straight line right to that spot then finishes the cut normally.

I have changed the baud rate to 4800 in both the software and the cutter. I also tried a different computer. I tried the trial version on a different computer and it still did it making me think its an issue with the cutter not the software but if you hit the test button the star it cuts is perfect. 

Im running windows 10 and connected via usb

this picture of a heart is the best i could do the vinyl is glossy but i hope you can see the diagonal line im talking about.

I know there have been some posts on here for something similar but this doesnt happen at the end of the cut but in the middle.

IMG_20200613_200505.jpg

Do us all a huge favor, download and install SignBlazer ELEMENTS, use the RedSail driver,  and see what happens.

Let us know.

|||||||   Did anyone think I would suggest anything else?? :P

Also make sure that the vinyl has enough slack and is not pulling directly from the roll.

installed signblazer and it couldnt even find my cutter. I also didnt have a choice of drivers so i dont know where im supposed to get the red sail ones. I googled it and they dont seem to work with this. also there is plenty of slack on the roll.

I tried deactivating sure cuts a lot and it still did the same thing. I then tried the non pro version with the same results. I then downloaded easy cut studio and that worked just fine during the trial BUT sure cuts a lot also worked fine during the trial so im hesitant to buy that since it basically looks like the same program and i dont want the same thing to happen. 

After you have downloaded the correct driver for the MH cutter, reboot your computer.  In your computer device manager, find the com port number assigned  (4 and below) Have the cutter plugged in and power on.   Put the same com port number in  Signblazer cutter set up..  He is not telling you to go find another driver.  Use the Redsail cutter in the cutter set up in Signblazer. MH will work with the Redsail cutter set up,  many people use it. Those 2 com port numbers must match.   Signblazer is not going to look for your cutter.  You must match the com port numbers in device manager and Signblazer cutter set up. 

It's the same thing with Sure Cuts A Lot.  The com ports numbers must match, If you keep unplugging and plugging back in, the USB cable you will assign a new com port number, then they will not match anymore.   Then they will not communicate together.

Many people have changed to a Tripp-Lite Keyspan Adapter. That is the brand name, Those MH cutters have a cheap Chinese chip set. The Tripp-lite Keyspan Adapter is a much better connection. You use it with the serial cable that came with your cutter. Tripp-Lite brand  cable is guaranteed to work with a vinyl cutter. 

This cutter also has many known problems, it is a bottom of the barrel vinyl cutter. Static, cutter needs to be grounded to stand,  Very low memory, and communication problems.  

1 hour ago, MZ SKEETER said:

After you have downloaded the correct driver for the MH cutter, reboot your computer.  In your computer device manager, find the com port number assigned  (4 and below) Have the cutter plugged in and power on.   Put the same com port number in  Signblazer cutter set up..  He is not telling you to go find another driver.  Use the Redsail cutter in the cutter set up in Signblazer. MH will work with the Redsail cutter set up,  many people use it. Those 2 com port numbers must match.   Signblazer is not going to look for your cutter.  You must match the com port numbers in device manager and Signblazer cutter set up. 

It's the same thing with Sure Cuts A Lot.  The com ports numbers must match, If you keep unplugging and plugging back in, the USB cable you will assign a new com port number, then they will not match anymore.   Then they will not communicate together.

Many people have changed to a Tripp-Lite Keyspan Adapter. That is the brand name, Those MH cutters have a cheap Chinese chip set. The Tripp-lite Keyspan Adapter is a much better connection. You use it with the serial cable that came with your cutter. Tripp-Lite brand  cable is guaranteed to work with a vinyl cutter. 

This cutter also has many known problems, it is a bottom of the barrel vinyl cutter. Static, cutter needs to be grounded to stand,  Very low memory, and communication problems.  

i cant find it in my device manager. Sometimes it shows up under usb controllers but thats only when it fails to recognize it properly. If it doesnt show up there then I dont know where else  to look, i tried other categories but didnt see anything named close to it.

See if this gets you anywhere.  It only goes as high as windows 7.  But it may help.  I don't even use Windows 10.  I am still back on XP, You don't need a new fancy cutter to use a vinyl cutter. Most people keep their cutters connected to a dedicated computer and just leave them there. 

http://www.uscuttersupport.com/downloads.html

http://www.uscuttersupport.com/downloads/Support_PDF/USBSetup/MH/MH_USB_WIN7.pdf

you might be able to find the device manager if you right click on the My Computer icon, and hit Properties, or you can search with Cortana.

5 hours ago, brent_bousquet said:

installed signblazer and it couldnt even find my cutter. I also didnt have a choice of drivers so i dont know where im supposed to get the red sail ones. I googled it and they dont seem to work with this. also there is plenty of slack on the roll.

I tried deactivating sure cuts a lot and it still did the same thing. I then tried the non pro version with the same results. I then downloaded easy cut studio and that worked just fine during the trial BUT sure cuts a lot also worked fine during the trial so im hesitant to buy that since it basically looks like the same program and i dont want the same thing to happen. 

You originally said --  "(My workplace) never figured out how to use it" 

Let's keep trying to figure it out -- now it's a challenge (throwing down of the gauntlet, so to speak)!

To begin with, there is a driver called USB emulation, toss it into the computer and hope for the best in Win10.

http://www.uscuttersupport.com/downloads/Drivers/cdm20828_setup_windows.exe

In SignBlazer, there is a Cutter Setup screen that contains a rather long list of cutter models. Yours is RedSail. (I called it a driver, which it technically is, but it's part of the program, not something you install separately).

Also in the same setup screen is the Connection choice (Output Device).  This should be Blazer:Com1 (show us a screenshot of this Cutter Setup dialogue box with the full drop-down menu, it may assist in troubleshooting)

We'll never be able to assist if you are switching computers, running all sorts of Trial programs, and generally doing random things.

Focus on SignBlazer only, please. It was the standard program of the USCUTTER company for years, and to this very day, it provides a clear way to determine if the machine itself is somehow defective (bad motherboard circuitry, etc.)

Get back to us after you have attempted the above steps.

I tried all four coms and got this message every time. Even if I don't know which com port it's in it should be one of those four right? Also just as a check I fired up sure cuts a lot and it found the cutter no problem so I know it's connected. Still can't find the cutter in the device manager. Those drivers I downloaded with signblazer don't seem to be doing anything, I think windows might be using its own drivers and not the ones I want.

IMG_20200614_194002.jpg

IMG_20200614_193927.jpg

IMG_20200614_193917.jpg

Okay I found it in the device manager windows is calling it USB printing support. So is windows using this driver rather than the ones I downloaded with signblazer? It says it's port_#0004 hub_#0002 so I assume that's com port 4 but when I use that in signblazer it doesn't work

Manually change it to Com 1 within the Properties/Advanced/ Port Settings (tab) portion of the Device Manager.

Unplug the cutter. Restart the computer.

Plug in the MH. Go into SignBlazer. Now Com 1 should appear correctly as your cutter.

com.jpg

I thought in SignBlazer, if the driver is installed correctly, it shows up as USB001 (number changes depending on which port it's plugged into).

The USB on the MH is notoriously bad and may be your problem. If you have a comm port on your computer use that, if not, invest in a tripp-lite usb-2-serial adapter.

Other things to cause your oddities, static, do you have the vinyl grounded while it's being cut? Most people accomplish this by grounding the stand to the cutter. You can also by a grounding strap , basically a wire, that hangs from the cutter and drags on the vinyl.

You may have a random stray node in your design. Have you tried a simple design, a square, or some text typed into the cutting software?

• Like 1

I dont have that port settings tab. All i have is general, driver, details, and events no advanced button. Im just using squares and hearts and stuff because they are in the library not an image I made. What is the best way to ground the cutter to the stand? everything looks like plastic or its painted. 

5 hours ago, darcshadow said:

You may have a random stray node in your design

18 hours ago, slice&dice said:

Manually change it to Com 1 within the Properties/Advanced/ Port Settings (tab) portion of the Device Manager.

2 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

The cutter is not a printer.

Show us the list of devices.

i Know its not a printer thats what ive been trying to say windows thinks its a printer and is using printer drivers. This is the cutter. sure cut can find it with auto detect because it can also find printers.

Also in sure cut if i select it as a printer it works. well it works but broken, but if i select the com port it cant find it just like in signblazer

That makes sense. I actually attempted something similar on my laptop so as not break the drivers on my main PC but I couldn't figure out how to disable signatures. I will have to see if I can find the windows 7 driver 

Just now, brent_bousquet said:

Thanks for the help! I'll let you know how it goes

Your welcome.  I knew we just went thru this not long ago. 

well maybe windows has updated since then or im doing something wrong but it wont let me change the driver. i disabled signatures but it tells me windows determined i already have the best driver and wont change it. 

He said he "forced" that driver to install on Windows 10.   Found Win7 driver. Win10 didn't want to install it. Reboot with driver signature disabled. Forced the Win7 Driver down this MF's throat. Tested it. It works. It F-in' works...

Open Device Manager using Win + X + M.

Locate the device, right-click on it, and then click on Update Driver.

It will open an update prompt where you have two options. ...

Select the second option, and then you can browse the driver. ...

Once you select the driver, click on and confirm with the installation.