sdgirl

Forever paper w/sublimation ink

Hello,

I am venturing into the sublimation side of the business. I have been reading several posts on here about different techniques etc. One thing I have thought I learned from here is that in order to sublimation on clothing it has to be at least 65% polyester and white or silver. Now I find at UScutter this FOREVER Subli Flex 202 Sublimation Paper for Dark and Cotton Garments. Has anyone tried this with any luck? I would still be willing to use the polyester blend if it actually works on darker colors.  If anyone has any experience with this I would appreciate your feedback before I might waste my time and money! 

Thank you,

Christi

• Like 1

I don't know anything about that "for dark" stuff but as for shirts the higher the polyester content the better. The 65% will look washed out. That isn't always bad if you are going for the old shirt look. You can sublimate a dark color on anything lighter like black onto grey or red. Getting a picture quality like someones actual face or a real mountain scene you will want to be on white. I tried it out for a little while but just couldn't find a market in my area of influence. There are really fun things like flip-flops and key and dog chains and even clipboards that are probably big sellers for people with walk in brick and mortar stores. Mugs are a big market too. 

Thank you Wildgoose. Looking more into it, it seems to be more of a 2 step transfer paper type of thing. It isn't like the jetpro but it doesn't seem like the ink actually goes into the shirt like regular sublimation paper. I could be wrong , still looking into it. I have a few people that want pictures and designs that is just easier doing this way then with vinyl. 

That sounds like those papers are for a White Toner Printer, such as an OKI, or Uninet printer. The Uninet printer has sublimation toner to use for purpose.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sdgirl said:

Thank you Wildgoose. Looking more into it, it seems to be more of a 2 step transfer paper type of thing. It isn't like the jetpro but it doesn't seem like the ink actually goes into the shirt like regular sublimation paper. I could be wrong , still looking into it. I have a few people that want pictures and designs that is just easier doing this way then with vinyl. 

Yeah if you can convince them to that in order to get a good look they need to use a white polyester shirt it's fantastic. There are some thicker than normal options out there that don't feel too bad and aren't see though.  If you haven't done sublimation it enters completely into the poly fibers and there is zero hand it's pretty awesome. I had troubles with dark navy blues coming through as dark as I wanted for a particular client but I went the cheaper Epson printer way and it may have been that choice which caused me trouble. As long as the colors weren't too bold it was real handy for certain applications. 

23 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

Yeah if you can convince them to that in order to get a good look they need to use a white polyester shirt it's fantastic. There are some thicker than normal options out there that don't feel too bad and aren't see though.  If you haven't done sublimation it enters completely into the poly fibers and there is zero hand it's pretty awesome. I had troubles with dark navy blues coming through as dark as I wanted for a particular client but I went the cheaper Epson printer way and it may have been that choice which caused me trouble. As long as the colors weren't too bold it was real handy for certain applications. 

I will have to look into the thicker brand. I am not to found of the see through ones that I got!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sdgirl said:

I will have to look into the thicker brand. I am not to found of the see through ones that I got!

I think one was the Gildan 42000 if my memory is right. The others were from Conde specific for sublimation and are very thick but also pretty expensive comparatively. 

Cricut sells one as well that is 95% polyester, but they are expensive compared to cotton.