Chrissy

HELP. CUTTER STOPS MID CUT

Sc Plotter series stops mid cut on larger designs. I reduce it to a smaller cut and it will sometimes cut. It isn’t static nc it cuts smaller., Please help! I don’t want to buy a new IMac unless I have to bc mine is 7 years old. My little CRICUT works flawlessly! Sometimes it says it doesn’t recognize it.

Those value cutters have a cheap Chinese USB chip set in them. Not TRUE USB.  It has been posted hundreds of times on here to put a value cutter on a Tripp-Lite Keyspan Adapter,  with the serial cable that came with your cutter. that is the brand name that works with a vinyl cutter. which is a more robust connection.   USB is hit or miss on value cutters, and feeds the data better. Put your pen tool in, and on paper (back of the vinyl) draw the design, as big as your wanting. If it works, then most likely static from the vinyl. Just because it cuts smaller, does not mean it is not static. Static from the vinyl builds up on longer runs.  Pen and paper won't create static.  Those cutters also don't have much memory. another problem.  Always reset the cutter after doing a job, so you dump the data from the last order. For static, wipe the vinyl and cutter with dryer sheets, spray Static Guard in area. Run a humidifier. 

• Like 1

Hey MZ Skeeter,

Thanks for reply! Finally got through to USCutter tech support. They determined it is the motherboard. It was $80 and figured it was a hell of a lot cheaper than a new unit or new IMac! It is simply to install and asked about wearing a grounded computer bracelet and they said yes. I asked about if the motherboard had a warranty and they said to contact them within 30 days if it doesn’t run and all is refunded but shipping back. If I have to buy another plotter, which is recommended and not an arm and a leg? I paid $400 for this one in 2017. BTW I also bought an anti static wire bc I read static can kill the mother board and I always lay vinyl rolls on carpeted floor!

A little worried about the reviews on the longevity of the SC model though but figured it was the cheapest way to go!

Are you laying them on the floor while cutting them or just when you're not using them? If while not using them at least stand them on end. If while cutting look into getting something to set them on.  Ideally a cutting stand with rollers to hold the vinyl. At the very least a wood table to get them off the floor. A metal table would be even better and you could then ground.

Just got a Titan2. I live in the dry as dust state of Colorado. We have implemented the most ridiculous static mitigation measures imaginable and the cutter still stops mid-job. I question the quality of a product that has electronics this sensitive to static. My Graphtec never had this problem. 

1 hour ago, bbsprings said:

Just got a Titan2. I live in the dry as dust state of Colorado. We have implemented the most ridiculous static mitigation measures imaginable and the cutter still stops mid-job. I question the quality of a product that has electronics this sensitive to static. My Graphtec never had this problem. 

Does it do the same thing if you use the pen tool on paper?  If not, then yes, probably static  from the vinyl.. If it still does it, then take a look at your design, for stray nodes.  Or a different USB cable.