Sign in to follow this  
Market_71

Vinyl is not sticking. Any suggestions?

The vinyl I am using is not sticking to the recycle plastics. Any suggestions on the Vinyl I should use?  This label was on the material. I got this vinyl from a local store: 

FDC 4200 24" 003 Gloss Black Sign Vinyl

image.thumb.png.2721f77f30fc5831d4edcd9d794e1c13.png

Any low energy plastic will require a very high adhesive vinyl.  When printing I used convex, not sure what plotter vinyl comes close to that.   

• Like 2

The only other alternative besides a high bond adhesive would be to do a flame treatment. Sounds crazy but you can actually take a torch and (very carefully) wand it over the recycled plastic  and then cover the whole area with a base color to build on. I have done this one time and it worked. Mine was on one of those folding A frame signs that was made from recycled plastic. 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/240397917_Treatment_of_low_energy_surfaces_for_adhesive_bonding

• Like 2

The vinyl sign is 5 ft x 5 ft. I am going to have to redo the sign and hopefully the high bond adhesive will work.

Just find that stuff they put on decals when you buy a teflon pan  ???

Do YOU get to choose the substrate or was this the customers choice? Sounds like it's not vinyl friendly and a more appropriate sign material would be in order. I don't think the Coro-plast sheets have issues at all so they must be made from another type of plastic. 

• Like 1