JeffScott

Layered Graphics not sticking to objects

Hi Folks,

New to vinyl cutting, own a US cutter SC2.  Machine works well and I've had some success, but when doing a two color layered graphic, using Oracal 651, whenever I go to apply the final graphic to metal or plastic substrate, the transfer tape is holding onto the vinyl and it doesn't stick down like it should.  I'm using medium tack clear tape I got from US cutter with my machine.  I'm peeling back at a diagonal angle, back onto itself slowly, so I'm not sure it's my technique, but it's frustrating a bit.  Attached is an example of a successful transfer, although with difficulty.  I'm cleaning the surfaces with a detergent cleaner, could that be the issue?

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks, Jeff

IMG_20200526_155729_448.jpg

Not being a smart person, but did you squeegee the decal down good before trying to remove the transfer tape? I don't see that mentioned. :huh:   Pros use paper tape.   You can even use paper tape for layering.  Vinyl may not sticks to all plastics.   You should wipe the surface with  denatured alcohol because detergent can leave residue.

I agree with skeeter - clean with alcohol first - never with anything with ammonia like windex and NEVER use clear tape when applying wet 

1 hour ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Not being a smart person, but did you squeegee the decal down good before trying to remove the transfer tape? I don't see that mentioned. :huh:   Pros use paper tape.   You can even use paper tape for layering.  Vinyl may not sticks to all plastics.   You should wipe the surface with  denatured alcohol because detergent can leave residue.

Yes I squeegeed it down very well before pulling the tape.  Only reason i used the clear tape is that the paper tape that came with the machine said "high tack" and I was afraid it would hold on to the vinyl even more.  I will start using denatured alcohol in my prep as well as paper tape in the future.  Thank you for your response.

1 hour ago, Dakotagrafx said:

I agree with skeeter - clean with alcohol first - never with anything with ammonia like windex and NEVER use clear tape when applying wet 

Thank you

5 minutes ago, JeffScott said:

Yes I squeegeed it down very well before pulling the tape.  Only reason i used the clear tape is that the paper tape that came with the machine said "high tack" and I was afraid it would hold on to the vinyl even more.  I will start using denatured alcohol in my prep as well as paper tape in the future.  Thank you for your response.

Some peeps on here do use high tack paper tape and have no problems with it.  I personally have used medium tack paper tape for years, with no problems.  Try each.   You can wet paper tape and remove easier. 

• Like 2

Age of the tape and vinyl, and how it's stored will have an impact on it as well. In no way am I implying that you got old stuff, just putting it out there for information. I'm a hobbyist, and will typically need to replace my paper app tape before I can use the entire roll. When I get on that struggle bus just like you, I squeegee the front, the back and the corners that the tape will first start to tug up.

• Like 1

Used denatured alcohol on a laptop lid which is smooth and not textured and tried applying a graphic tonight with medium tack paper tape and I think the vinyl just doesn't have enough adhesion left. The transfer tape pulled half of it up. It was thoroughly squeegeed before pulling up the tape. I think I will get with US Cutter and see what they say. The only substrate I've got it to adhere well to is glass.