Sign in to follow this  
johnhaley

My cutter doesn’t completely finish the cut

Hi everyone,

This is kind of hard to explain. I poked around the forum a bit trying to see if anyone had the same problem but I didn’t see anything really. Ok…my problem. My cutter doesn’t completely finish the cut. It leaves behind a small connection from where it starts to where it ends so when I weed it, it snags a little. I changed the blade but the same thing happens. It’s a very VERY slight left over piece. It normally just rips apart but sometimes it leave behind a jagged mark on an otherwise clean cut.

Thanks 

What plotter and what software?   If something like an me or redsail the course nature of their stepper motors can be fixed with over cut in many softwares if you have that option.    Before you ask that is totally different from offset that should not be changed if you have good sharp corners.   Many people also have easy too much blade exposure when starting out . . . Directions on blade exposure can be found in the instructional contributions section of the forum 

I was typing the same thing when Dakota beat me to it. There is some erroneous instructions that are floating around to use half a credit card depth. That's literally about 10 times too much. Even the cheap vinyl is usually only 3 mil thick which is very nearly the same as a human hair. Too much blade out causes a surprising amount of problems and is by far the number one set up error of new users. When set correctly and cutting though the vinyl with just enough force to scratch the liner lightly you should be able to see just a touch of light between the bottom of the blade holder and the vinyl if you get down at eye level while it is cutting. 

If after correctly getting dialed in there is a setting in your software called "Overcut" which will drag the knife a little farther past the end of the start point. Most cutters do not need overcut if set up correctly. IF you DO use it don't get too carried away, a little bit will do it. You are basically compensating for the castor action on the blade tip so your overcut in theory should not need to ever be more than the blade offset value you used to get good square corners. 

• Like 1

blade depth, offset, overcut. also possible factors - design, size, speed.

give us a little more info, we can help to narrow it down for you. even a picture of the area that is not completing the cut will be helpful.

832421242_offsetpic.gif.7a1880a0f66d0ada5979b47d18cb2261.gif

• Like 2