Sign in to follow this  
Raddog 82

What is wrong with my file?

IMG_2562.thumb.jpg.1f257cd9d8747469d6a847eaf8541617.jpg

Hello,

so my cutter works fine for any files i have made. But I am making some sticker for a sales rep friend and he sent me the files from a third party.  I have also tried coping and pasting the wanted elements in to a new file with same issue.

details:

i am using illustrator to make file, Sign cut for MH 721 mk2, connected via USB, and using an old windows computer.  It will print the first copy fine but when it moves on to the second cut the cutter messes up.   it starts the second cut at the correct point and draws the first line correct then some how flips the file.  i have tested other files and had no issue cutting multiple.  only issues are when i used element from the original file sent from third party.  when cutting more then 2 it will cut the rest of the row fine then make the same error on the next row of stickers, cuts 1 fine, mess up on 2, then back to normal for 3 and the rest of the row.

thanks

Ryan

you might be running into the very limited memory on the mh series - were the words made from actual font or traced?  tracing would add a lot of nodes we can't see - wildgoose is our illy and signcut person so will wait for him to get here to speak on the software end.    I had to read it 3 times because you appear to be cutting and not printing - I had 3 roland solvent printers and that is an entire different area and way to do things .  with the mh you may be limited to sending one at a time.  other thing is to make sure you have the plotter grounded to the stand so static doesn't build up in the vinyl and discharge thru the carriage causing such issues .  the plotter itself is grounded thru the plug but the stand on the mh is insulated from the plotter and requires a separate ground wire from the stand to the plotter to discharge any static build up

If you are tracing it,  I found the FREE  vector logo online. Do a search for it. I found  as a .svg.  Threw it in inkscape.org and saved it as an .eps. 

Is the File in question a .svg or .eps format? If I remember correctly, SignCut will accept .eps files but was less error prone (for me) with ,svg.

Also, if you can post the actual file and someone can try a few test procedures.

*cough* *cough*

It's logo that is copyrighted. I do not encourage you post copyrighted items, even pen plotted attempts at them, without explicit permission from the copyright holder.

That being said, you should check out a website called Brands of the World.

• Like 1

I don't think stray nodes would cause the second copy to suddenly be turned 90deg and have all that gibberish. I lean toward the memory being overloaded or perhaps static. If you can cut one just fine but two is a problem than it's probably your machine limitations. 

To be sure your file is ok turn the view to outline and select the whole thing and see if you can see any weird parts light up (indicating a stray node) or hidden layer that doesn't have any fill colors assigned. You can also usually see each item in the layer stack over on the side and select each item by clicking the little round button in it's layer and see what lights up. This is a pretty basic design so there should not be too many items over there. If some of them are in groups tool them open and be sure there aren't hidden items stuck in a group. I think you will see them just from going into wire frame but sometimes not. 

• Like 1

I would try finding the logo on Brands of the World, and try cutting it with that file.