EricaQQ

New to vinyl cutting and question about size of vinyl

Hello, I am brand new to this world of vinyl cutting! I have the MH 871 MK2. It came with a couple of rolls of vinyl 12" in width. If I wanted to make a sign with a word that is 24" in width. Do I need to buy that size roll? Or is there a way to have it print sideways on my 12" roll to extend it into 24". Thanks for any info. 

Most cutting software allow you to rotate the design. Which one are you using?

Also, forget the word "print" :)

• Like 2

Yes, when you send the image to cut the spooler window that pops up gives the option to rotate the design. You can also create your design rotated to fit your vinyl from the start.

Seeing as how you are as green as they come, we don't want you to get off on the wrong foot by using some  wrong instructions about using a credit card to set blade depth. It is a myth that just won't die.  That is way too much blade exposed. 

This is correct way to set your blade depth.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should just barely see and feel your blade tip out of the blade holder.

• Like 2

Yes I had to learn this, someone should get rid of that youtube where the guy uses his license. But thank you for reaffirming this!

• Like 3

Another nice trick for applying application tape to your prepared graphics is to do the upside down method. Meaning that once you have cut and weeded your vinyl you roll some app tape out with the sticky side up and then gently lay the vinyl down into it face first so to speak. You typically bend or hang the vinyl in a U shape so that the center touches the sticky app tape first and ease it into it applying pressure with a squeegee to the back side of your vinyl. I tend to keep hold of one side of the vinyl and squeegee the other down before letting the other half down. Works great for small(ish) stuff up to about 36 inches if you have app tape wide enough to have some leeway in case your aim is off a little. 

• Like 1