Sign in to follow this  
cxixer

Transfer tape issues

I don't have to push hard enough to push me back!  That's for sure!  I'm using high tack transfer paper too.

Originally I had mine as 4 layers of 1/8" acrylic.  Later I discovered 2 layers is plenty strong.  I haven't tried it without felt.

The 56" big squeegee I use for laminating prints requires two people to operate though.  I spent the money on it.  Wise investment for that thing.  It's slightly different than just some plastic with felt wrapped on the end.

I don't have to push hard enough to push me back!  That's for sure!  I'm using high tack transfer paper too.

Originally I had mine as 4 layers of 1/8" acrylic.  Later I discovered 2 layers is plenty strong.  I haven't tried it without felt.

The 56" big squeegee I use for laminating prints requires two people to operate though.  I spent the money on it.  Wise investment for that thing.  It's slightly different than just some plastic with felt wrapped on the end.

Out of curiosity, what is different about it? Does it still use felt? Is it curved or angled or something? Thanks for the replies!

The difference between the first one I made and second one is 2 layers instead of 4 layers.  I also offset the pieces so the end is one layer.  Both wraped in felt.  I used the factory edge and I didn't bevel or round or anything to it.

The difference between the first one I made and second one is 2 layers instead of 4 layers.  I also offset the pieces so the end is one layer.  Both wraped in felt.  I used the factory edge and I didn't bevel or round or anything to it.

I mean the 56" one that you purchased, you said it's slightly different than the one you made. What makes it different?

Well it has the media holder on it (curved piece of plastic).

The end feels like soft foam or soft rubber that is wrapped in silk instead of felt.  It angles down to a nice point too.

To anyone who has had the same problems as me!! I wanted to follow up with the answer to my problems.

I was a bit passed annoyed when I had cut and weeded a 30" decal... twice... and screwed them both up with my transfer tape. By this point I was out of black vinyl, and so I could not complete the decal that was already paid for (usually I ship packages out the day they're ordered, so it didn't help my mood, or the customer's).

Because I needed the vinyl anyway, I placed an order at signwarehouse for some vinyl, the tape, and a few other supplies. I bought the Conform Clear series transfer tape (the more expensive, recommended product) among the other things.... OH MY GOD what a difference! It lays out smooth, no wrinkles, to top it off, I love the clear tape that you can see the substrate through. The oracal vinyl also cuts and weeds much nicer!

The packaged tape and 15 colors of vinyl I purchased because I was new and didn't want to spend gobs of money, but wanted to start out with a bunch of colors. It was a cheap option. I now find that signwarehouse not only stocks MANY MANY more colors and styles, and much better product than off ebay, AND it comes on a cardboard roll instead of wraped over itself, IT'S CHEAPER TOO! So other than the semi-pushy salesperson I talk to who wants me to get a very expensive graphtec, I'm very impressed with my new products - and signwarehouse.

LESSON LEARNED: Buy your cutter off ebay, buy your supplies elsewhere, and don't skimp on transfer tape!

Wonder how one of the cheaper versions of the "water blades" you buy at the auto parts stores would work. Oops. I have one! Think I'll give it a try. MJ

i am a little late into this issue....lol    i too have had transfer tape issues. i have been through 4 or 5 different ones, i am on the mactac paper right now and although once in awhile i'll get a wrinkle, i can peel it up and re lay it. i have found for me the poly tape is a nightmare....lol  i also have found that stress levels, being tired from long hours and just plain off days, can add wrinkles too where normally you wouldn't have them....lol

i think most of my problem is consistancy in using the tape, i have 3 part time jobs and then what needs to be done around my house, so it is always a challenge for me.  lol

however, the conform was next on my list to try.  :huh:

thanks for the info

lue anne

mach - let us know how that water blade works out!!

gogetemgraphix - I too have that stress problem. if I get too tired or annoyed, I just stop what I'm doing because it's all downhill from there - I start making really stupid mistakes. that's why I bought an xbox360 - to lower stress levels between working. :huh: Being a day late to ship out a properly made order is better than being 3-4 days late because of all the screwed up supplies and having to order more!

again, Conform Clear = A+ in my book. It costs about $20 more than the other stuff, but who doesn't make that back after one decal? other than that - less headache!