Sign in to follow this  
cxixer

Transfer tape issues

OK, so I've watched every utube video on the subject, and read every post on this forum and other websites about applying transfer tape, but no matter what I do, I can not seem to find a good technique without getting wrinkles in the tape.

I'm using 24" tape and it always seems to bunch up in the middle. I've tried keeping it on the roll holder, cutting it and laying it out, and anything else I can think of. The best I have come across so far is laying the roll of tape down and rolling it across the vinyl with a "squeegy" (scrap piece of metal). It turned out nice with no wrinkles, but was very difficult to push, and I had several small tears in the tape.

I have seen that bigsqueegy and it looks nice, but is quite expensive for the low volume of work I do. Does anyone know what the secret of that thing is? I use a lot of my home-made tools with great results (including a 4x4' CNC router, I'm pretty handy with creating my own stuff), but I can't find a good picture of that tool or what it is made of. Anyone have a good home-remedy squeegy? I have a lot of scrap (2x8') polycarbonate I can use to make one if it would work.

Any other ideas that might help?

go to lowes or home depot and get a large wallpaper smoother. Or even a cheap window washing squeegee with a short handle..turn it upside down,using the back side of the blade not the rubber part.

A few small wrinkles in the tape won't hurt as long as you smooth them down well and don't transfer the wrinkle on to the vinyl.

Wne I use a tape holder, I pull off the entire length of the tape, keeping it off the vinyl, put it down to the vinyl at the opposite end and work back towards the roll. A good holder should be high enough to keep the tape at least a few inches (more is better) above the vinyl.

Guest Terry

Banner I'm going to post him a picture that is sooooo simple, no squeegee. I wish I knew how to do the videos like joe and scion.

Guest Terry

Wish I could do this in a video, it's simple no wrinkles. Pull transfer tape out - slide both hands across graphic. Done, now use squeegee to really stick it.

post-0-1298651983764_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986519856643_thumb.jpg

Guest Terry

Done,No wrinkles, now use squeegee to tighten it up.

post-0-12986519842585_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986519861101_thumb.jpg

Guest fivestar

Terry that's exactly how I do it and "almost" always wrinkle free. 

Guest Terry

What do you mean almost.  :lol::angel: get with the program king.... :huh:

Guest fivestar

What do you mean almost.  :lol::angel: get with the program king.... :huh:

Every once in a while my hand slips  ;D  ;D:huh::(

Done,No wrinkles, now use squeegee to tighten it up.

That's how I do it. Years in the upholstery business,using my hands to feel or bumps,uneven stuffing,etc...taught me to trust my hands more than my eyes.

Guest Terry

Yup, just gotta besure you pass the end of graphic a bit so transfer tape sticks to table to hold it down, other wise you will just shove it out of the way when you slide your hands across.

Banner me to, auto body for any imperfection feel.  :angel:

Guest Terry

Heck we are posting... but it looks like the newbie gave up.  :angel::lol:

Guest Terry

He made one post... Thats it for me I'm bushed.  :angel:

I made my own.

I took a piece of 18"x24" acrylic.  Cut it 9.5 and 8.5.  Sanded it.  Laminated it together with gorilla glue.  Then I wrapped the edge in felt.

Total cost, $15.

Somebody showed me how to use an empty cardboard roll to apply your transfer tape. Lay your design down. Stick the tape down in front of it. Lay the empty roll on top of the transfer tape you stuck down and push the empty roll across your decal. Your transfer tape will lay down flat. It works really well.

Holy crap! Lots of replies! I wish I got this kind of service over at the oscommerce forum! I havn't gave up, just been out all day to a BBQ, it was saturday you guys (and I havn't had a day off in a month or two, lost count). I am going up to home depot one of these days, I may check out the window squeegies.

Darkdan is on the right track here. I want to know what kind of luck people are having with these home made squeegies. I have plenty of polycarbonate, and could make one of these http://www.signwarehouse.com/TT-BS-p-HT-SBD-1-26.html if I had some specs. How thick is the material? Is it straight or curved? Are the edges sharp or rounded?

I just hate paying that much for a piece of plastic! Especially when I have everything to make one! I bet I even have felt around here somewhere.

Guest Terry

Somebody showed me how to use an empty cardboard roll to apply your transfer tape. Lay your design down. Stick the tape down in front of it. Lay the empty roll on top of the transfer tape you stuck down and push the empty roll across your decal. Your transfer tape will lay down flat. It works really well.

I posted it awhile back. http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,5918.msg42307.html

I posted it awhile back. http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,5918.msg42307.html

You need to start a "Sign School". I learn so much from you, I should be paying you! (Now I started something)

Guest Terry

Thanks man, it's easy to tell people what to do... That don't mean I can do it. :angel:;D I think you call those idiots.... A BOSS.  :lol:

Thanks man, it's easy to tell people what to do... That don't mean I can do it. :angel:;D I think you call those idiots.... A BOSS.  :lol:

True statement.

I thought of trying that out too, I do not have any empty transfer tape rolls as I'm new at this, but I may have some shipping tubes that would work. If not, I have some metal tubing I could convert. I'll give that a try too as it would be easier than building something else. I just need something that works!

Guest fivestar

Terry's "hand pics" works like a dream.

Guest Terry

Terry's "hand pics" works like a dream.

YES IT DOES, and the empty tube, roll end one is a bitch to do. :angel:

Here's pics of my first one I made.  Since then I redid it.

http://www.hurricanetint.com/signs/largesqueegee1.jpg

http://www.hurricanetint.com/signs/largesqueegee2.jpg

Step one.  Buy a 18"x24" 1/8th thick piece of lexan, polycarbonate, etc.

Step two.  Cut it 9.5" and 8.5".  This way the end is 1/2" section only 1/8" thick instead of 1/4" thick.

Step three.  Scuff sand it and glue it together with gorilla glue as per the directions.

Step four.  Wrap the edge in felt.

Step five.  Use it like they show in the videos.

OK, updates.

I've tested all the methods listed here (ish) and added one more.

Hands:

The hand strategy may work for smaller transfer tape (as pictured earlier) but I was having a very difficult time getting all 24" smooth with no additional help. The tape roll was raised, the tape was stretched out and attached to the table, and I tried to smooth it with my hands, working it all, from center outward, side to side, nothing was perfect. Result: wrinkles.

Tubes:

I cut three sizes of cardboard tubes from ~2.5" dia to ~4" dia. I tried each one by setting the roll of transfer tape on the table, sticking ~2-4" down on the table, and setting the empty tube down and pushing forward and down on the tube. The largest was by far easiest to push, moving the tape across the table, but in each instance I noticed that not all of the tape was actually sticking properly. This, too, led to wrinkles.

Wooden Squeegee:

I cut a 26" x 9" x 5/8" piece of MDF, rounded over a single corner on one 26" side of the board, and both corners on the other 26" side with a 3/8" roundover and sanded everything smooth. I attached the tape to the table as mentioned above (Tubes), and set the wooden piece down as shown in squeegee videos all over the net and pushed. I tried this on each corner, providing each would net a different level of friction and pressure on the down side of the transfer tape. This was harder to push forward than the tubes and provided only slightly better results. Still, wrinkles.

Polycarb Squeegee,

I cut a 26 x 8 1/2 x 1/4" piece of polycarbonate, and sanded the edges smooth, sanding one of the edges to a mini ~45 degree angle. Set it up as mentioned above (Wooden squeegee), and pushed forward and down. This was by far the hardest to push forward requiring excessive power, even sliding me backwards in the capeted room as I pushed. This, though, provided by far the best results out of any of the tests. Out of three separate tests using this technique, one was perfectly smooth, two had very small wrinkles. Practice makes perfect?

Questions:

Using these techniques described, would anyone recommend anything different? Should I be pushing down harder, or angle the squeegee, or something else I didn't think of?

Would covering the polycarb edge in felt make it easier to push (darkdan)? Would using a thinner lip (1/8" instead of 1/4") make it easier to push?

darkdan - 1. how hard was yours to push? 2. you mentioned you redid yours, what modifications did you make?

I was also thinking that the larger the object pushing forward on the tape roll, the easier it was. So I may try to attach something onto the polycarbonate squeegee to push the roll, while still giving me the results I desire. The point here is that I know there are sellers selling much larger (50+ inch) squeegees, and if this is THAT hard to push, 50+ inch would be dang near impossible without a machine or impaling yourself on the table if you slip.

Any other comments, suggestions?

I don't know if I'm just doing something wrong with all of these techniques or what, but I can imagine I'm not the only one having issues!