dvddvd

Multi layer vinyl?

I have made a multi layer design for a piece of artwork and trying to decide the best way to apply it?

I could apply the first one and then each one afterwards or tape the first one onto a table and apply each one on top of each other and finally apply the finished design to the board?

I think I will have to use a wet method so I can line each piece up? I only have water and soap spray? How much soap?

So do I apply the finished multi layered piece to the board in one or each bit separately? The first piece is a solid block and the others sit on top of it thanks

How many layers are we talking about? Typically I would layer it first, then do the application.

If you take the time to search the forum, you'll find info about a home recipe for application fluid, as well as tips and tricks for applications and wet applications. There are also tips and trick for layering and links that will take you to a few YouTube videos showing people creating layered decals.

• Like 1

There are advantages and disadvantages to both methods. Layering the decal before application you can use a light box to help line things up and get it perfect. However, when applying a multi layer decal you are more likely to get air bubbles. On the other hand if you layer during install, getting things lined up exactly is a bit harder, but you also are less likely to have unwanted air bubbles.

If layering before applying you do it in reverse. Start with what would be the top layer, apply application tape that is large enough to cover the entire final design. Peal the backing off then put the taped design down on top of the next layer. Repeat as necessary.

• Like 1

Wet app will probably make a mess. If you were more experienced it would be different. Check out the The Parchment Trick which is sort of like using a light board to align a stack of layers or to install multiple layers in place. 

Another cool option is to get your hands on a nice sized piece of Gerber/3M 225 premium cast vinyl and use the clear silicon backing instead of the parchment paper for even clearer see through. I buy some of this 225 for a couple specific clients from my local sign supply house so I save all my backing for just this type of thing. If you have a lot of these to do it might be worth buying some just for the liner. I use mine up first because it's pretty expensive and the cuts do not make any issue with later transfers. Be sure the slick side it placed to the next layer because the backside is not going to release. I also use that stuff to make an occasionally light weight stencil by placing about 3 layers of regular app tape on the back as a make shift carrier and then cutting out the stencil. 

Add registration marks to the design and layer it as you apply it. I use a 1/2" + and cut the middle out on all the layers except the first. Use the hole in the middle of the + to align the other layers and tape across the middle using the hinge method to apply them.

• Like 1

I always layer on the substrate one at a time using rapid tac that allows you to move to align layers and disperse bubbles easier.