Sign in to follow this  
Cliff P

Probably nitpicking here but...(Cutting finished vinyl from roll after design is cut)

So far, the machine is working flawlessly. I've been using my Titan 2 28" for a few days, and I'm spitting out designs with so many different decals, at an alarming rate. I've got a great grasp for cutting speed and pressure, and etc. Now I'm wondering, if it's something I've overlooked with regard to removal of the vinyl from the roll after a job is finished? I was thinking about maybe doing multiple passes with a horizontal line across the vinyl that ends up scoring the backing? Is this just something that isn't done? Best to leave well enough alone and manually cut after project completion?

Thanks in advance. I did do some re(search)ing but didn't really find a whole lot on the topic. I'm looking to make it a somewhat more automated process, for instance a batch of jobs to cut, separate vinyl, and move to the next job without interaction once I have some queued up.

I've been using a plastic letter opener to slice my vinyl off the cutter. 

• Like 3

If you wanted all that. you should have stepped right up to a Graphtec FC.  It has a groove and special blade for cross cutting vinyl right off. But with your cutter, you will scratch, cut and gouge your teflon cutting strip doing that. Then you will create more problems for yourself with bad cuts.   Like Arty said.  Letter opener. scissors, , something that won't damage. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Cliff P said:

So far, the machine is working flawlessly. I've been using my Titan 2 28" for a few days, and I'm spitting out designs with so many different decals, at an alarming rate. I've got a great grasp for cutting speed and pressure, and etc. Now I'm wondering, if it's something I've overlooked with regard to removal of the vinyl from the roll after a job is finished? I was thinking about maybe doing multiple passes with a horizontal line across the vinyl that ends up scoring the backing? Is this just something that isn't done? Best to leave well enough alone and manually cut after project completion?

Thanks in advance. I did do some re(search)ing but didn't really find a whole lot on the topic. I'm looking to make it a somewhat more automated process, for instance a batch of jobs to cut, separate vinyl, and move to the next job without interaction once I have some queued up.

Oh it’s done with plotters closer to $4000 and the reason so many of us use a razor knife or letter opener like arty. 

• Like 2

Not sure which software you are running but some allow a post-feed after the job to allow you good access to trim the work off and then reset for the next job. SignCut Pro does this and it's handy. It allows me to set a feed length after the job and a return length after I trim it off that initializes after I hit the enter key on the computer. Pretty slick. I wouldn't be surprised if VM has a similar feature. I think Flexi does. 

Those plastic letter openers are cheap and work pretty well. They help avoid scratching up your machine like using a box cutter or other open blade knife would do. Sharp scissors would work but vinyl and backing are pretty tough on scissors so keeping them sharp enough to do the push-cut technique with scissors might be hit or miss. 

• Like 2

LOL! Thank you everyone for your insight. Currently, I'm using an xacto knife as it fits into the groove at the bottom edge of the ruler that's inset into the cutter's frame. So far, I haven't scratched anything but I fear that doing this repeatedly will eventually cause damage to the ruler. I'll pick up a letter opener styled cutter then. For what it's worth, I'm using SCALP5, so I advance the feed post-cut. This allows me to not have to jog the machine offline in order to cut, then set the homepoint for the following cut.

Have a great evening/weekend all.

Cliff