tomr928

Info for beginner purchase

Sorry if these questions have been asked before but I am brand new to this, I will try to keep it short:

1.       I am custom painting a car and wish to make stencils to paint over with automotive paint and then remove after shooting. Is ORAMASK  810S a proper selection?

2.       Can an MH721 28” cut the ORAMASK 810S?

3.       Is the ORAMASK 810S adhesive backed already, or do I need a separate material?

4.       In the B-MH721STRKIT is the vinyl applicable for use on cars? Outdoor.

5.       In the B-MH721STRKIT  does the vinyl require a separate adhesive material?

6.       If I purchase the B-MH721STRKIT  will I be ready to set up and print or do I need anything else other than the material and a PC?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Answers --

1. yes

2. yes

3. yes.

4. yes

5. yes  -  App tape (or transfer tape)

6. yes  ("cut" not "Print")

2 hours ago, tomr928 said:

Sorry if these questions have been asked before but I am brand new to this, I will try to keep it short:

1.       I am custom painting a car and wish to make stencils to paint over with automotive paint and then remove after shooting. Is ORAMASK  810S a proper selection?

2.       Can an MH721 28” cut the ORAMASK 810S?

3.       Is the ORAMASK 810S adhesive backed already, or do I need a separate material?

4.       In the B-MH721STRKIT is the vinyl applicable for use on cars? Outdoor.

5.       In the B-MH721STRKIT  does the vinyl require a separate adhesive material?

6.       If I purchase the B-MH721STRKIT  will I be ready to set up and print or do I need anything else other than the material and a PC?

Thanks.

Have you already bought the MH cutter? We usually try to get people to consider a step up to the SC. The MH have more issues being the rock bottom of the barrel. 

• Like 3

The main issues with the MH are lack of precise long tracking, and of course, the static tendency.

Besides that, it's a functional and useful cutter. This guy wants to do one car. It'll suffice for that.

Thank you Both for helping. On my project I an planning on printing custom, detailed stripes for the side of the car that could be 5 to 8 feet long. Are you saying that the MH machine might not track well causing a curve in the print or that it might not track well in that the print would be straight but may not stay aligned with the material?

Thanks again.

If you think of the carriage head / blade as the X-axis and the vinyl feeding in/out as the Y-axis... the more travel on the Y-axis the less accurate it is.  So if you were to just do a simple rectangle that is 6-inch on the X-axis and 5-feet on the Y-axis... you start at the origin and go 5-feet (Y), 6-inch (X), 5-feet (Y) and 6-inch (X).  With a high end servo machine you'd your blade would be back at origin...  with a cheap stepper machine it will not, it will be off.  And where it's "off" will be throughout your whole design when it's cut.  If you can live/work with that, then you should be fine.  If you need it to be really accurate then probably not.  

Personally, if it were me and I couldn't justify the increased cost of at least the SC over the MH, and if I was only buying the cutter to do some stencils for one car, I'd do the design and then pay a sign shop to cut and tape it.  

• Like 1

As Wilson said, the start and stop point of a cut can be off on long cuts. I've done a 6' cut on mine and the start stop was off by about an 1/8" of an inch. It wasn't a big deal as I trimmed it a bit by hand and unless you are really looking for it you wouldn't notice that the two sides of the stripe are not exact.

I also agree with the others, if you're just doing one car the MH would be fine or have someone else cut it for you. If you think this might become a thing, and once you start playing with a cutter it probably will, they are addicting and you're always finding new ways to use vinyl, you'll probably appreciate a step up from the MH. Not knocking the MH. I've been using one as a hobbiest for several years now and once I got over the learning curve, got things dialed in, and learned the machines limitations I've been quite happy with it.

• Like 1

I did have a sign shop quote the stencil and that is why I am considering going this route as the cost is very close to the MH unit and obviously slightly less than the SC. At this point i think the SC is the way to go as there are more cars in my future and this will allow me to explore my creativity at a moments notice. Thanks again for all your help and sharing your knowledge. 

• Like 1

Great! Have fun learning. If you're not familiar with vector graphics that'll be you're first hurdle. Once you understand them they are great but if all you know is raster graphics it can be a bit of a learning curve. Inkscape is a powerful and free vector program worth checking out if you don't already have something.

• Like 1

So I had my order basically all set, but I was still reading, researching and learning more about the materials and equipment. So last night, although the items I was pretty sure i was going to order were in my cart, I decided to wait until today to place the order. Yesterday there was a discount for orders over $500, STIMULUS100, that reduced my cost by $100 but today it is gone, i read it carefully and there was no expiration that i saw or warning that this was the last day, etc.

My question, do you think they would honor the discount seeing though I am a new customer or already had the items in the cart? And do they run that type of offer often and I should wait?

I tried to call and no one answered.

Thanks.

27 minutes ago, tomr928 said:

So I had my order basically all set, but I was still reading, researching and learning more about the materials and equipment. So last night, although the items I was pretty sure i was going to order were in my cart, I decided to wait until today to place the order. Yesterday there was a discount for orders over $500, STIMULUS100, that reduced my cost by $100 but today it is gone, i read it carefully and there was no expiration that i saw or warning that this was the last day, etc.

My question, do you think they would honor the discount seeing though I am a new customer or already had the items in the cart? And do they run that type of offer often and I should wait?

I tried to call and no one answered.

Thanks.

Your too late  The coupon was good from  April 21st to April 30/2020   There is no April 31,2020.          Spend $500, Save $100 through April 31   I received this email from UScutter on April 21st, 2020.    Sign up for emails.  They have sales all the time.    Someone needs to proof read spelling. LOL 

stimulas coupon.JPG

Code SAVE50       Should get you $50 offf  $250 or more until the end of May    Break your orders down. Maybe

save coupons.JPG