Sign in to follow this  
Morningside

Connection but no communication SC25

I know connection issues are like beating a dead horse around here with this sc series, but I'm now stumped. I can usually get mine working but now it's giving up on me. I have the SC25 and Vinylmaster cut. Windows 10, using USB connection. I've been using my cutter off and on for a few years now and I always have to fiddle with it to get it working when it's been a while. However, now, the software will recognize it during the auto detect, and tell me it's ready to go, but it is not. I can even run the baud rate detect and it moves the cutter and says ready to go after going through the steps. But try cutting anything, even running an area test, and nothing. Com port is 4 in the software and in control panel device manager. I see no reason why it won't cut.

I have noticed if I'm remembering correctly, that the driver in device manager now just says "USB Serial port COM4," and I swear it used to have the name of the chip driver before? FTI (or something). I've tried the same drivers that I used when it worked, and even some new ones from the new 4.2 cut software. I've rolled back to 4.0 just in case that was the issue. But same thing. It's recognized, ready to go, but it's most certainly not ready to go. Is there another trick I'm missing, or are these cutters now dead running the latest windows 10??

So I just saw where someone suggested trying signblazer elements. Lo and behold, that works. I now believe it to be an issue with Vinylmaster Cut. Is there a way to get it to work? I really like it and I'm used to it at this point. It also works with easy cut studio. Go figure.

If it works with one software and not another, it'll most likely be the COMPORT.

If you go into Device Manager and find out which port was assigned by Windows, then set the same port number in VM, that should fix the problem.

The value cutters have a cheap Chinese chipset, many people have found that a Tripp-Lite Keyspan Adapter (that is the brand name) with the null modem cable that came with the cutter helps a lot with communication problems.  And the data flows better. 

21 hours ago, haumana said:

If it works with one software and not another, it'll most likely be the COMPORT.

If you go into Device Manager and find out which port was assigned by Windows, then set the same port number in VM, that should fix the problem.

Yeah, as I mentioned, they are the same. It has to be a vinylmaster problem if other software communicates no problem. And why now? As I said, I've been using it for a few years. I'm guessing a windows update down the line? Seems they should be on top of that with the software. I've already pulled the trigger on a new cutter since buying software costs damn near the same. There are values out there I know, but I really liked vinyl master. Guess I have no choice but to learn a new one. 

21 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

The value cutters have a cheap Chinese chipset, many people have found that a Tripp-Lite Keyspan Adapter (that is the brand name) with the null modem cable that came with the cutter helps a lot with communication problems.  And the data flows better. 

If mine came with that cable, I can't seem to find it. That was the first thing I did when I couldn't get it going. I was going to try that cable but I can't remember if it even came with one. If it did, I can't seem to find it. I did purchase a serial to usb cable online, but had the same issue. VM would recognize it and claim it's "ready to go" but wouldn't work. I'm hesitant to throw more money at it. 

Not just any ol' usb to serial adapter will work with a vinyl cutter.  The cheap ones have the same type of cheap Chinese chip sets in them as your vinyl cutter.   The Tripp-lite Keyspan adapter does work with vinyl cutters. It has helped hundreds on this forum. 

Could it be a Language issue?

Vm> Menu> Vinyl Spooler> Cutter> Configure Cutter> All Settings> Commands> Device Language> GPGL/HPGL ?

34 minutes ago, skarekrow said:

Could it be a Language issue?

Vm> Menu> Vinyl Spooler> Cutter> Configure Cutter> All Settings> Commands> Device Language> GPGL/HPGL ?

I had to go to advanced settings to find this. But which one should it be? There is only one or the other. No "GPGL/HPGL" option,

5 minutes ago, Morningside said:

I had to go to advanced settings to find this. But which one should it be? There is only one or the other. No "GPGL/HPGL" option,

Your cutter is HP-GL  language   Only Graphtec vinyl cutters are GP-GL. 

• Like 1

The GPGL is Graphtec Language... So I presume it should be set for HPGL.

I haven't set my Lylu TC up in 6 or 7 years (since I bought a Graphtec) so I could be wrong...

1 minute ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Your cutter is HP-GL  language   Only Graphtec vinyl cutters are GP-GL. 

Ok. I've set it to hpgl and still nothing. It detects it, but will not send a cut or area test. I just don't get it.

17 minutes ago, Morningside said:

I have installed 4.2. Is that the latest?

Check at the Vinyl Master site.  And see  the latest updates, to see if it is current.  I don't use Vinyl Master. 

I have that FTDI Chip Driver if you need it... doesn't sound like it's the problem though.

17 minutes ago, skarekrow said:

I have that FTDI Chip Driver if you need it... doesn't sound like it's the problem though.

I don't believe it to be. Like I mentioned, the spooler will detect it, and even successfully complete the baud rate detection moving the vinyl on the plotter. But it will not cut or send area test.

Found this under the com port properties in the "event" tab...

Device FTDIBUS\VID_0403+PID_6001+5&9883dec&0&2\0000 requires further installation.

I wonder if this means anything??

Windows 10 is just simply problematic for a lot of things. Because it does forced updates, there's no telling what kind of things will happen when the update is installed.