torchedcycle

cutting small letters

I'm cutting vinyl for paint stencils, I need to cut some pretty small letters. all attempts so far have not worked. I'm using a MH 871-MK2 with a 45degree blade.

What would be the best set up for this?  do I need to change blades, pressure, speed?

Thanks for any help

Randy

Change to a 60 degree blade and cut at the slowest speed possible. You will still have to fine tune your blade depth and pressure. When I started, long ago, after playing with the settings on my MH-365 I was able to get better smaller cuts. Be patient grasshopper. Also, different vinyls will cut differently.

• Like 1

How small of letters are you trying. There is a limit and if might just be too small.

• Like 1

Setting your blade depth and blade offset correctly is also key.  This is how to set your blade depth correctly. Do not use any settings that say anything about a credit card. They are wrong. 

This is correct way to set your blade depth.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should just barely see and feel your blade tip out of the blade holder.

• Like 2

3/8" should be doable, but it will take some patience to get everything dialed in to get good constant cuts with a MH. As Skeeter says, first step is getting the blade depth correct. Once that, set the speed to as slow as the cutter goes. Then get the offset dialed in. You'll want to add a bit of over cut, done in the software. Once you get it cutting good, you can then increase the speed in small steps to try and cut faster but there will be a point where you'll start loosing quality.

• Like 2

slow the cutter down for smaller, more intricate things. 3/8" shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 2