Sign in to follow this  
Scratchthejeepguy

When to change blades?

I'm in  middle of a big job.  I'm making a bunch of yard signs. My SC2 is cutting fine, but I'm concerned about when I should change blades. I'm still on my first 45 degree blade that came with the cutter.  I still have another 45 and a 60 from the factory.  Will it stop cutting abruptly, or will it just slowly start cutting poorly? What should I start to notice when it's time to change blades?

I get over 9 months out of my blades,  (Seiki), wear down is gradual, because the tip sharpness wears down. You can still add a little more force and get more use out of the blade. Then change it next time.

• Like 2

When it starts cutting poorly, time to change,   In the mean time, rock on.    With clean cut brand blades I get 10 months of heavy use

• Like 1

I've gotten 8+ years out of the 60* Clean Cut with hobby time on the machine. :P

• Like 1

Change blade? Is that even a thing? I've got the original spare blades that came in the little plastic box along with the cutter, sitting somewhere on a shelf, who knows where? Red is 45 and Blue is 60, that much I remember from when I first chose a blade to insert in the holder years ago.

• Like 2

Same as most above.

However, cutting heat transfer vinyl for tee's tends to need a nice sharp blade, especially if it's Siser Stretch. I have been cutting regular vinyl and then need to swap to HTV and found it was not getting through the stretchy stuff. 

Also, cutting reflective or glitter can shorten the life of your blade dramatically. I save my change out blades that were still working just for when I need to do something nasty like glitter that I don't want to subject a newer blade to. Be sure to place them in a separate spot so you know which were new and used. I have used clean cut blades and they are awesome. If you try them out be sure to drop your cutting force by about half to start with and work back into the material because they cut better. 

Thanks for all the replies.  I've had my machine for almost 2 years now and still on the same blade for hobby use, but I'm getting lots of use lately as I've been cutting a bunch of yard signs.  I think I'm at number 80 so far.  I still have my little plastic case with a spare 45 and 60 so I should be good for a while it sounds like.

You're good if you have a spare. bear in mind many of us cut thousands of feet in that 6-8 months (with quality blades) so hobbyists pretty much go on for years unless you mess up and snap a tip off. 

• Like 1