Old and confused

Looking to buy a vinyl cutter

I never used a vinyl cutter b4, I'm not that good on a computer. Right now I do promotional products and t-shirts things like that and with the way things are going I figured this would be the best time to try something new to put into the business, since I have so much time on my hands. My nephew used to have one and I thought they were Sharp.But it's just that computers and me just don't work good together. I figured it would be tough to learn how to use a vinyl cutter. So I'm here looking to buy a cutter vinyl cutter excuse me I need help getting one if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

I moved your inquiry to this bulletin board, since it's more of a pre-sale subject.

Buy the best cutter you can get for your budget.

Determine what you plan on doing with the cutter - vinyl decals, t-shirts, signage, etc. If decals and signage - how big do you think you'll need to go? If t-shirts, etc. you might want to budget in a heat press too.

We're here to answer kind of questions you might have.

• Like 2

Do you own a Windows-based computer? Where (in the house) is it located? Operating a cutter requires some room , not just for the machine, but for the design station adjoining, plus all the vinyl rolls, and when you get into HTV, then there's inventory of products (in boxes)

Anyway, you say you do some work already, so let's assume you have the space.

So, here is your primary assignment: Download and install SignBlazer ELEMENTS.
http://www.uscuttersupport.com/downloads/Software/SignBlazer/signblazer_setup.exe

The man who did that application was Jerry Bonham (R.I.P.) and his mission was to coordinate with USCUTTER in producing a design/cut program so that beginners (and PROS) could immediately begin to work, with a minimal learning curve.

Your cutter will not ship with that program (it's no longer supported, and is abandonware). However, it will give you insight about the functions of running a design studio, and how easy most stuff is. After you get your feet wet, your new USCUTTER machine will include VinylMaster, and although it has a much different interface, the functionality remains essentially similar.

I would highly recommend avoiding the SignBlazer user manual at this stage, it will probably overwhelm you! But then again, some people are naturally good at being book-learners, while guys like me are hands-on and like to just play with stuff inside the program and see what happens!

• Like 1

To get your feet wet on the computer side of things you can download Inkscape. It's a free vector graphic program. Working with vectors is a whole new world and the part most people have the hardest time getting their head around. But once you do, operating a cutter is pretty simple.

• Like 2

All good advice.

You seem most worried about the computer so that is probably your litmus test. Try one or both of the free vector art programs noted above and see if you can get a grasp of the design part. Cutters are dependent on vector designs. They are basically very simple other than gaining an understanding on creating them. If you can figure that out then the rest is not that hard. Yes there WILL be some connection issues initially when you get a cutter and try to get it working. Almost every new user goes through an initial freak session trying to get it to connect and figure out the settings but there are plenty on the forum who help get past those questions and once you're set up cutters are a true joy rarely rivaled in hobbies I have ever tried. 

I would spend some time learning about vector vs raster images and watch some training videos (probably more available on Inkscape than on Sign Blazer but I have not searched for SB videos so I can't swear to that. Both essentially do the same thing as far as design goes. ALL vector programs essentially do the same thing they just label everything differently and some go about getting from point A to point B a different direction. When done the vector is a vector all the very same. I use a very painful-to-learn program called Adobe Illustrator and literally took an online college level class to figure it out so don't be surprised if you have to spend even a few weeks getting the basics down. Inkscape has many training videos and tutorials linked from the help menu and there are hundreds of how to videos that can help. Good luck with your quest and have fun. I find myself using my graphics skills in many other ways as well so the knowledge gained in the art side is a win win. Great way to spend lock down time for sure. 

• Like 1

I have around $1,000 to spend but I also need supplies to practice on. Does anyone have a suggestion on what would be a good CUTTER? I was looking at the prismcut ( Casey is the one that told me about)  which is pretty good-looking what I want to start doing it's like transfers, yard sign, little signs like that maybe like car windows, am not sure what I need for that  type of work, but that's  what I'm looking to do first for our business!  

Old&, have you downloaded the SignBlazer program yet?

All cutters sold by USCUTTER are good cutters. All of them, including the low-cost MH. (The MH serves a valid purpose, although it has obvious limitations ---  those issues have been covered extensively in these forums over the years).

Several schools of thought. 1. Budget cutter (I would STILL avoid the MH and go to the SC2) and keep your trial investment low. 2. Mid range leap into a Titan or perhaps the Prismcut. (we have not seen much on the Prismcut as yet. It's new and is a stepper motor but I think it has high down force. My browser bounces back to the first screen when I try to look at the spec sheet) 3. All in for a Graphtec or similar name brand full tilt machine. (over your budget)

Whichever you choose I suggest avoiding bundles. The stuff they send in bundles is usually bottom rung quality and not all the helpful. I still have quite a bit of my bundle I bought back in 2010 which is as yet unused so you can have my stuff. 

Definitely go with a machine capable of cutting on 24" vinyl (most designate this as a 28" cutter, the name brands use a "60" after the cutter model to designate 60cm I think) Buying anything limited to smaller than 24" rolls will severely affect your product availability and you'll soon be regretting the small savings. 

I started out with option 1 and chose roughly the equivalent of the SC2 or thereabout with a stepper motor. It was sufficient to learn a LOT and eventually I made the leap to a full bore commercial pro level machine and now have a working side business. I did not go into it with that in mind. It was a safe way to start a new hobby and I had SO much fun I have stuck with it and the forum ever since. Good luck with your conundrum. It's really hard to know what to do when you are brand new to something like this. I expect you have done a fair amount of online searching. Takes notes and think it through. The Prismcut is interesting but being as new to the users forum as it is we have little to help. It could be fantastic but somehow I just have a slight doubt in the back of my mind. Seems a little too multi-task oriented for something that is such a specific use operation for the rest of the cutting world. 

On another note also avoid small heat presses (go at least 15"x 15")and the ones that have multi-function like mug and plate press connections. I like a swinger because I can work over the platen without the heat right above my finders. You will be aligning HTV vinyl to the shirt if you decide to get a press and build shirts. I HIGHLY suggest this. More fun than a barrel of monkeys and all your friends and family will be delighted when you make them a cool tee. We do 98% apparel in my side business now where it was not my main focus when I bought my equipment.  

• Like 1

thank you all for the info. i really appreciated.  I still don't know what i'm going to get but come monday i will be getting one of them! I just hope I make the right decision. thanks again everybody!!

Good luck with your decision. If I had to work within your budget, I would personally decide on the 28" Titan. I would go that route because, a) I don't think I would ever contour cut, since I do not have the means to print on vinyl in the first place; b) it comes with a two year warranty (versus the 34" LaserPoint 3 which only comes with a one year warranty); and c) the Titan is $50 cheaper than the LaserPoint 3.

I would then use that $50 and put some of that money towards getting myself some Clean Cut Blades, a good squeegee, some vinyl, app tape, a good x-acto for weeding, and all the other accoutrements as it pertains to the cutter.

While yes, the LP3 can handle a wider width of vinyl, I don't particularly have the desire to sacrifice more floor space than necessary, nor do I have any desire to buy, inventory, weed, or tape vinyl that wide.

All of this is sheer personal preference. I still stick with my recommendation to buy the best cutter within your allotted budget, and if you're willing to spend just a smidgen more than your $1000, then definitely consider the Titan 2 because the servo motor is that much better than a stepper.

• Like 2

On 4/16/2020 at 8:29 AM, slice&dice said:

Do you own a Windows-based computer? Where (in the house) is it located? Operating a cutter requires some room , not just for the machine, but for the design station adjoining, plus all the vinyl rolls, and when you get into HTV, then there's inventory of products (in boxes)

Anyway, you say you do some work already, so let's assume you have the space.

So, here is your primary assignment: Download and install SignBlazer ELEMENTS.
http://www.uscuttersupport.com/downloads/Software/SignBlazer/signblazer_setup.exe

The man who did that application was Jerry Bonham (R.I.P.) and his mission was to coordinate with USCUTTER in producing a design/cut program so that beginners (and PROS) could immediately begin to work, with a minimal learning curve.

Your cutter will not ship with that program (it's no longer supported, and is abandonware). However, it will give you insight about the functions of running a design studio, and how easy most stuff is. After you get your feet wet, your new USCUTTER machine will include VinylMaster, and although it has a much different interface, the functionality remains essentially similar.

I would highly recommend avoiding the SignBlazer user manual at this stage, it will probably overwhelm you! But then again, some people are naturally good at being book-learners, while guys like me are hands-on and like to just play with stuff inside the program and see what happens!

On 4/17/2020 at 10:15 AM, MZ SKEETER said:

This is the UScutter buying guide.  Buy the best that you can afford.  I would stay away from the MH vinyl cutter, Too many problems with them.  The cheapest that I would buy would be the SC2 vinyl cutter. 

https://www.uscutter.com/index/page/static/subpage/buying_guides_new

With this UScutter buying guide, there is nothing in there about the Prismcut. I don't have any Idea where this would fit in on this list? Can you or anybody else tell me where this cutter would be in this buyers guide??

20 minutes ago, Old and confused said:

With this UScutter buying guide, there is nothing in there about the Prismcut. I don't have any Idea where this would fit in on this list? Can you or anybody else tell me where this cutter would be in this buyers guide??

Unfortunately, the only people who could really chime in about the Prismcut are either other users - which I have yet to see anyone in the forum identify themselves as a Prismcut user or owner, or someone from USC - which they rarely pop into this forum. So your guess is as good as ours in terms of usage, function, and durability. Some of us have inquired about a few of the features on the Prismcut, but haven't really gotten answers. You can try reaching out to USC directly and maybe speak to someone there, but just remember, their job to sell you something, so whatever it is you're considering, "it will be the best fit for you," (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)

• Like 1

In the realm of cutters, the obvious choice would be the Titan2 servo, at $1050 plus shipping. (or save $150 and get a refurbished unit)

VinylMaster is robust software that'll run it like a champ, out of the box.  You never answered about what you encountered with SignBlazer, so I'll assume you skipped that advice.

Consumables are consumables, you just pay for them as you go along. Vinyl, HTV, & app tape are the big three. I would seriously consider a good app-tape dispenser --- 

The PrismCut has wireless connectivity, that seems to be the main advantage. (Plus the downforce for etching & scoring). You don't need any higher downforce for vinyl cutting. If you intend to do etching and scoring on metal, wood, leather, cardstock, then you do.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, haumana said:

Good luck with your decision. If I had to work within your budget, I would personally decide on the 28" Titan. I would go that route because, a) I don't think I would ever contour cut, since I do not have the means to print on vinyl in the first place; b) it comes with a two year warranty (versus the 34" LaserPoint 3 which only comes with a one year warranty); and c) the Titan is $50 cheaper than the LaserPoint 3.

I would then use that $50 and put some of that money towards getting myself some Clean Cut Blades, a good squeegee, some vinyl, app tape, a good x-acto for weeding, and all the other accoutrements as it pertains to the cutter.

While yes, the LP3 can handle a wider width of vinyl, I don't particularly have the desire to sacrifice more floor space than necessary, nor do I have any desire to buy, inventory, weed, or tape vinyl that wide.

All of this is sheer personal preference. I still stick with my recommendation to buy the best cutter within your allotted budget, and if you're willing to spend just a smidgen more than your $1000, then definitely consider the Titan 2 because the servo motor is that much better than a stepper.

How do you feel about refurbished vinyl cutters? Do you think they are just as good as new ones I was just thinking about the Titan II while I'm sitting here looking through them all. I do appreciate all of the information that you are giving me it is very much appreciated!

Personally, if they come with a full warranty, I'm good with that. Not sure how others feel about it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, haumana said:

Personally, if they come with a full warranty, I'm good with that. Not sure how others feel about it.

15 hours ago, haumana said:

How do you feel about refurbished vinyl cutters? Do you think they are just as good as new ones I was just thinking about the Titan II while I'm sitting here looking through them all. I do appreciate all of the information that you are giving me it is very much appreciated!

it comes with a two-year warranty and one of the staff representatives there said that they're just as good as new ones but then again he's just trying to get a sale so got to take it with a grain of salt! Have you used the Titan 2 or which one do you have and do you use it for a business or for a hobby I'm just interested to know.

I owned a titan 2 and it worked well - lowest priced plotter with a good usb chipset built in.

• Like 2