Sign in to follow this  
Shortstuff

How to setup and plot with a pen SC2

Recently purchased an SC2 28" and after searching through the paperwork and these forums couldn't really find any instructions on how to setup and use my SC2 for plotting with a pen.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There are several videos on youtube.   It doesn't have to be your cutter, just basic instructions. 

• Like 3

Put in your pen tool and turn your blade offset to zero and see what pressure gets good results. Not much to it. Great way to learn your cutter without wasting vinyl. 

• Like 3

First look in the accessory box that came with it, and there should be a pen-holder that clamps into the retaining arm where the blade holder goes.

That is a ball-point pen.

If you want to use a marking pen (like a sharpie) -- then you gotta get creative! I believe a Sharpie that's MINI-sized might work. I personally never tried it, but maybe someone else has.

sp41812195_sc7?wid=512&hei=512

• Like 1

Plenty of info on setting the blade, like the blade, how much of a tip of the ballpoint pen should be showing.
Half the width of a credit card for the tip of a blade, is it the same for the ballpoint pen tip?

I'm assuming... 

Wildgoose answered the question above. "Put in your pen tool and turn your blade offset to zero and see what pressure gets good results. Not much to it"

Do not use any instructions that have to do with using a credit card or post it notes to set blade depth.  That is way too much blade exposed. It is just wrong. We can't get rid of that myth.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should barely see and feel the blade out of the blade holder. Regular sign vinyl is only 2-3 mil thick. You only cut with the very tip of the blade. 

Just put the pen tool in the carriage head, it's not going to go thru the paper, or what ever you are using to draw on.