OOS Designs

Full Color Decals

I'm looking into getting a printer to make full color decals

Also looking into a heatpress to start applying the designs on jackets etc, not sure if this question iis allowed.

• Like 1

How hard are you thinking about it? The most budget minded new printer is probably the Roland BN20 at around $8,500. It's a smaller width machine but very capable from everything I have read, everything else is well above that price point. 

• Like 1

The Roland BN20  Has been discounted for awhile now.  It runs around $5000 now.   I can find a supplier which still says "sale extended" Save $3500  

UScutter is call for price.     Search on Google. 

• Like 2

problem with the bn-20 was slow and one head for all colors - so heads are stupid expensive 

• Like 2

Now? Now is not to time to making a massive capital investmemt into a printer as a newbie. The market is toast, and while it may rebound at some distant point, if you want to dabble and get your feet wet, just order the decals from an online source, they're glad to have their printers working at all, with orders down to nil. The heat press is small potatoes, research the one you want and USCUTTER has exactly whatever you decide on. From what I've seen, automatic open is the ideal. 

https://www.uscutter.com/16-x-20-Auto-opening-Clamshell-Heat-Press

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a decent base right now, mostly business owners and schools, hobbyists.  Do see your reasoning though.  pre made for heat pressing is also available in bulk? cause in that case I could just invest in the heat press for now until everythingis bac to normal

well ive made lots of decals and applied them on magnets for restaurants delivering here and a lot for people that are selling masks etc

the toilet roll seniors 2020 designhas been ordered a lot by teachers making them as part f a gift basket to the senior class and I got a guy that makes tublrs and he buys them off of me

online and market place is mostly where I get these customers right now and its not a high amount as normal but deffinetly keeps me going for this side business I got going.

Nice! yea I just had to as here also since I trust yalls advice more than google jaja

If you are doing well now and think you can keep it up in the foreseeable future, I say go ahead and make the purchase. Keep in mind there are maintenance needed with latex, solvent, or uv printers and they CAN NOT just sit for days without printing or the print head will be clogged and destroyed. A head replacement is around $4k to $5k. -Back to the toys, I recommend Epson S40600 as a serious entry level machine that's able to do 99% of what you need. MSRP is around $16k but there are a ton of discount with them, $6k to $8k off MSRP. Call around. If you need to print White or Metallic, go with S80600(double the price of S40600 and much less discount available).  You would want to pair it with a nice cutter,  at least a Graphtec CE if not a FC. I'm a Summa user (S2T) and I recommend them only cuz that's all I've ever used, but can't go won't with either brand. You would also NEED a laminator too, there are some used Royal sovereign for a decent price like $3 to $5k. Forgot to mention, you would not want to put the printer in your basement cuz the ink smells bad and I do recommended a exhaust system to vent the fumes outside and a air filter. A CWT table would be nice to.

Owning a printer comes with lots of baggages and if you are not a full blown sign shop with some solid local clients first, I would pass and out source the printing part.

There are a ton of people here who sell online, and it's not all that great IMO. Online selling platforms like Facebook, Instagram, eBay, Amazon, Etsy, Shopify, sounds promising but none really work for decals, stickers, signs, unless you pump a ton of money into ads, SEO, influencers, etc. 

Anyways, enough of me talking, good luck with your venture. We are here to help if you have questions.

• Like 1

I can't imagine trying to handle the cost and responsibility for maintenance on a wide format printer. Any kind of 'print' kind of jobs I get, I immediately outsource. I don't get them frequently enough to justify the cost, nor do I want to sacrifice the space for such a machine.

Please keep us posted on your decision and progress.

I always consider the return on investment of the equipment....how long after purchase will you make PROFIT dollar #1.

More equipment means: 

>>> More production space needed

>>> More labor...you or someone else has to run the equipment

>>> More maintenance... both in time and $

>>> More raw material costs

>>> More material waste...not all jobs print like you imagined

>>> More time not selling & fulfilling

Although you will improve job turn-around time with in-house equipment, you will lose your own personal time.    Is it worth it?

Will the home produced product be of the quality you are currently receiving?

• Like 3

i think i'd rather plunk my money into a rotary UV printer :P

• Like 1

Ive given these things a lot of thought aswell, especially with how everything is right now.  Ive seen some small scale machines that go for 2k. Was thinking on getting that and running a small scale for now.  just looking to make jackets for some clubs that I fortunatel have as clients and I wanted to make my own labels for mywifes candy and treats that she sells. and in regards to te quality I will output well one I know it will be trial and error for the beginning, which im ready for and two I go you guys for back up.

let me loo up the one I saw

high quality UV flatbed printer machine,110V/220V printing machine,rip software

this is actually one that I saw and the other one was funsun brand

also I worked many years at my uncles signshop and I generated some customers of his after his passing. most of which are actually wanting me to make this move to start doing business. however ill look into that kind of operation in the next year r so depending on how long this pandemic last for

excuse the jumping around and multiple responses im doing