Anetski

Graphtec changing cutting condition on shapes only

I got a new FC8600 plotter a month or so a go and within less than 2 weeks when I sent a job through it started almost dragging the blade while cutting circles. I tried a few times and it did it every time. Then I sent a rectangle job through which cut fine and then sent the circle job through again and it was fine. A few weeks passed and it did a similar thing but it started perf cutting on a shape and ever since I have had problems on circles and shapes only. Not on rectangles. The supplier has been extremely helpful and have reset the machine twice but after a few jobs is sent through it reverts back to doing these weird cutting on circles and shapes only. They changed the firmware yesterday and it reverted back again after a few jobs. we have done all tests under the sun and we cannot figure out what is going on. The files are both new and old that I have been using for a few years on a ce6000 plotter with no issues ever. we have updated the cutting master and it has not fixed it either.

The heading I put is a bit miss leading as the machine doesn't actually change the condition setting but just cuts differently. I only do kiss cuts and its always in cond. 1.

Has anyone ever had a similar issue?

Can't see from the pictures or video, but what does the cutting strip look like? Is it gouged or clean smooth?

I helped set-up a brand-new cutter for a friend recently (not Graphtec) and there was a protective tape over the nylon cutting strip, that had to be removed 1st. Until we did that, it cut like crap (not noticing there was the tape on there).

On 4/9/2020 at 11:33 AM, slice&dice said:

Can't see from the pictures or video, but what does the cutting strip look like? Is it gouged or clean smooth?

I helped set-up a brand-new cutter for a friend recently (not Graphtec) and there was a protective tape over the nylon cutting strip, that had to be removed 1st. Until we did that, it cut like crap (not noticing there was the tape on there).

did the video play for you? It is cutting a shape in minute steps even though all the settings are normal. I have had 2 very qualified technicians out 4 times now and they cannot for the life of them figure out why it is doing this only one curves. It changes the cutting to either minute steps which almost sounds like the blade is being dragged or to perf cut. when they reset the firmware (brains of cutter) it goes back to normal for a few cuts and then fails again. They have replaced the firmware too. We connected the cutter via ethernet instead of USB and it has worked fine for at least 40 different file until this afternoon. Also I cannot get a perfect testcut. Every corner is spiky as and only changing the offset on the actual tool setting (not the one in menu) changes the spikes a little but its still not the way it should be plus you can see it on every rectangle that is being cut. 2 technicians that has so much experience on these machines cannot work it out. First the blamed it on my usb port on my IMAC saying it may be faulty and now the ethernet connection is wrong. The files I cut are files i have just set up and using some older artwork in there that I never had any problems with before. Totally lost here and pretty much over it. 

First thing I would do is try using a Windows PC to eliminate the IMac.  I'm not an Apple guy but as far as cutters go they seem like they cause more problems than what they're worth.

There's nothing wrong with using the mac. For a trial to see it from another perspective do a free trial of SignCut Pro (they have a 7 day free trial) it is mac compatible so it should hook up and run without any problems. If it does this while using SignCut as well then you will have narrowed it down to a setting or mechanical issue with the cutter. If it cuts fine with SignCut then you will have narrowed it down to a setting or problem with whichever variant of Graphtec software you are using. 

11 hours ago, Anetski said:

. Every corner is spiky as and only changing the offset on the actual tool setting (not the one in menu) changes the spikes a little but its still not the way it should be plus you can see it on every rectangle that is being cut. 

All I have ever heard about the Graphtec is they don't use blade offset. Never owned one myself. 

• Like 1

In your graphtec software you can set parameters like condition, force, etc,   Did you check that first before sending the file with circles? 

On 4/16/2020 at 7:45 AM, Dakotagrafx said:

In your graphtec software you can cent parameters like condition, force, etc,   Did you check that first before sending the file with circles? 

every single setting has been rechecked and tested by 2 technicians that have worked with these machines for years. they have no idea.

If the techs can't correct the problem, then  I would be getting a  NEW cutter.  Has this been brought up yet?  I would be demanding a new cutter at this point, or your money back. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MZ SKEETER said:

If the techs can't correct the problem, then  I would be getting a  NEW cutter.  Has this been brought up yet?  I would be demanding a new cutter at this point, or your money back. 

3 different tech have tested it and after changing firmware and it still faulting, not right away but after 20 or so files it would fault. The problem is only with curves. we have changed it from connecting from usb to ethernet and changed the cutting master software. they also brought in a window computer and I would save the cutting file in cutting master 4 on my mac and then send it to the other windows computer and send the job from there and it still faulted after 5 files. 

they have installed a new FC9000 as a loan today to see if this faults as well indicating a problem coming from my computer or if it was indeed the machine.

I just sent two files with rectangles to the new machine and it did this weird little cut on the side which actually went into the artwork. Have you ever seen this before? test cut is fine and the I cut 2 rectangles out of a 1 metre wide sheet and the 2nd rectangle did not cut through at all. I increased the force and it did the same thing after. Could it be that I am only using a pinch roller on each edge and not one in the middle? I did that with the fc8600 and no problems. I found that when using a pinch roller in the middle of the artwork it would leave a mark.

thanks for your input. I am actually loosing my mind over these cutters. I miss my ce6000. :(

IMG_8556.PNG

IMG_8558.jpg

First off, those marks from the pinch rollers come out when you apply the vinyl.  The FC9000 have not been out that long.  I don't know of anyone who has one. 

Just now, MZ SKEETER said:

First off, those marks from the pinch rollers come out when you apply the vinyl.  The FC9000 have not been out that long.  I don't know of anyone who has one. 

I cut phototex. I am not sure what you mean by "applying the vinyl"?

Ok,  I don't know anything about Phototex,  but with regular sign vinyl, the pinch roller marks disappear when you take the wax paper backing off and apply the vinyl to a surface. 

• Like 1