Sign in to follow this  
BuddyC

What can still be done with the original Cricut(CRV001)?

I have a Silhouette Cameo 2 that I am just now getting around to even getting my feet wet with. I go to estate sales all the time(not recently of course because there basically are none) and I also acquired an original Cricut Explore and original Cricut(CRV001). I am thinking about giving one to a friend of mine. The original Explore can work with the newest Cricut Design Space online software and can also use old cartridges, correct?  Is the Silhouette Cameo 2 software better/easier to work with than Design Space when it comes to importing and manipulating random images(not copyrighted of course) that I might find on the internet and also making my own from-scratch designs/images? 

I would also like to know what can still be done with the original Cricut. I know it uses cartridges and Craft Room is no longer around, but is there any way to still use some sort of software with it in order to make my own custom designs and cut out images that I create? Or is that machine strictly bound to only using fonts and images off cartridges with no way around it?

You might be waiting a bit for anyone here to answer about a craft cutter.

The 'regulars' who participate in USCutter Forums own machines that are full-feature plotters, and operate with professional-grade design/cut software, like Flexi, VinylMaster, SignBlazer.

Cricut is a unique, proprietary system and only functions within the narrow confines of what that company offers. There is no way around it.

What do you want to create with a cricut? What to choose depends on your needs and demands.

I personally use Explore Air for vinyl cutting and it's okay for me.

But as far as I know, people prefer the second revision nowadays.

cheers 

"You might be waiting a bit for anyone here to answer about a craft cutter."

Well, a reply only took five months to appear! Proving my point above.  cheers.