krau

Multiple passes with Graphtec software

I just upgraded to a Graphtech and I can't seem to find the option to do a double pass and all my googling isn't turning up anything so far. Is this something possible in CM4? The vinyl I'm cutting small text out of weeds effortlessly if I do a double pass on the cut. 

I'm using a ce7000-40 btw. Thanks! 

What kind of vinyl are you using that you have to do 2 passes? 

CM 4 user manual. 4.4 Layer Tab properties shows> passes at lower left corner.

Wow, I was looking completely in the wrong section. Thank you! Btw, thanks for all your contributions to this forum. I've been a forum lurker for a while and got a lot of things answered by you just by searching.:)

I'm cutting Lumina 2100. Its behaves somewhat like oracal 951, but it does seem to "self heal" when cut, which makes it especially tricky to weed small text. Single pass is fine majority of the time, but double pass helps immensely on small text for what I'm doing at least. I think because it's sort of flexible and has a sticking effect to itself when cut. My theory anyway.

Your welcome.  But you should not need 2 passes to cut 2 mil vinyl. Add a little force.   First make sure you set your blade depth correctly.  And  only cut what you can weed at 1 time. Because you are correct, vinyl will self heal. 

This is correct way to set your blade depth.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should just barely see and feel your blade tip out of the blade holder.

• Like 1

I've definitely got the right blade depth. I swear I've read you post this same thing a hundred times throughout this forum, I've tripple checked that I'm at the right depth, I'm not scoring the wax paper just barely marking. Its definitely working correctly. I appreciate the input though.

Certain small text like I'm cutting just doesn't want to separate as easily from the weeded out parts if they're small pieces and running 2 passes has fixed it substantially. Its night and day difference. That being said, I'm open for suggestions to getting it to work with one pass. 

I'm running 25 speed and 22 Force. Would you suggest going higher in force? 

If your cutting small test then slow the  cutter down.  I only cut at max 5 speed at any time. I am in no hurry.  The only other vinyl that I cut is polyester Avery Chrome and it's thicker.I only bump it up a little to cut. But my gram force is higher on my cutter, than the CE models. so the numbers would not match yours. And use a 60 degree blade. You should be making a light mark on the wax paper backing. That way you are cutting thru the adhesive.   Use the TEST feature on the cutter and make your adjustments. 

glad you got your answer on how to double cut.

just an fyi, as a work around, I just cut & paste so there is two graphics and/or text that are sitting on top one another. if i fiddle with the settings, i know i will forget :blink:

14 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

If your cutting small test then slow the  cutter down.  I only cut at max 5 speed at any time. I am in no hurry.  The only other vinyl that I cut is polyester Avery Chrome and it's thicker.I only bump it up a little to cut. But my gram force is higher on my cutter, than the CE models. so the numbers would not match yours. And use a 60 degree blade. You should be making a light mark on the wax paper backing. That way you are cutting thru the adhesive.   Use the TEST feature on the cutter and make your adjustments. 

Alright, I'll slow it way down and play with the force a bit. The test feature is great, I'm aware of it and use it. 

As far as I'm aware, a 60 degree blade if for thicker materials? I'm cutting super thin material. Whats your thinking on this? 

I use a 60 degree blade for everything - I found years ago that it did much better on fine detailed work than the 45 degree blades and that is what we specialized in so I transitioned to 60's for everything and haven't looked back

• Like 1

7 hours ago, haumana said:

glad you got your answer on how to double cut.

just an fyi, as a work around, I just cut & paste so there is two graphics and/or text that are sitting on top one another. if i fiddle with the settings, i know i will forget :blink:

The "Duplicate" command is also useful -- just have the offset at 0 - 0.

The designs that I cut are very detailed at most times.  I use a 60 degree blade all the time on regular sign vinyl 2.5-3 mil.  And I cut almost every day. 

• Like 1

Ah, all good info everyone thank you very much. 

Whats your experience with off-brand blade packs? I'm very aware of "you get what you pay for" but I figured I would ask since they are pricey. 

I'm all cleancut and Skeeter has another approach that works good for her and some others - she will be along in a moment for that info.   

I purchase, all of my Graphec blades from Seikitech.com   I get at least 9 months out of them.  And I cut almost everyday.  They run around 5 blades  $25.00 Free ship.   

CB-09U   Same price  45 or 60 degree.   I started buying them back in 2008.