Sign in to follow this  
slice&dice

The Vevor

A while back, I helped a friend to set up a cutting studio of their own. The machine we went with is a Vevor 34" and since I'm just sitting around here with a few minutes of free time (aren't we all?!!) I figured it might be interesting to make a post that relates our experiences with that unit.

Let's start with the original advertisment of the cutter ---  it shows a configuration of grit rollers similar to the LP3 and Titan models. In other words, there are specific locations of the rollers, at spaced intervals across the lower plate. That arrangement is clearly visible in the pictures accompanying the eBay listing. (This type of setup helps to improve long-length tracking of the vinyl).

The actual cutter that arrived has grit rollers all across the machine, similar to the MH and SC2.

OK, next ---  The LED illumination. This is an impressive blue light that has a separate on-off switch, if you don't want the light lit. The advertisement didn't show this feature in the photos and it came as a surprise (in fact, I didn't know there was such a light, until I wondered about a little button on the back and pressed it).

Another thing was the media basket, included with the stand. Now, when you look at the picture, the first thing you realize is the vinyl holder (2 steel rollers) is mounted to the front.  We did not assemble the stand like that, and put the rollers to the rear, as I'm used to.

Onwards --- getting our first cuts. I did not install the supplied SignMaster (a version of VinylMaster) at first, and opted to just go with SignBlazer, figuring I could get this thing running with that. Well, it did operate (RedSail driver) but the cuts were off, leaving distinct 'tabs' on the circles (end of cut on circles not coming to the same point as the beginning point. Using other drivers (Roland, LiYu, Copam) produced the same results. I messed around with the overcut and offset settings, but couldn't get it right.

So, SignMaster was implemented with the machine-specific driver that is included (There's a big yellow sticker right on the front of the unit that says use the D870 model when installing the software). Yeah, that resolved the problem, and the cuts were fine using it. Of course, that meant my friend had to re-learn the design software (she had been familiar with the workings of SBE and liked it). As a workaround for her, I showed how to do designs in SBE, export as .eps and Import to the S-M program for cutting. A bit cumbersome with a few extra mouse clicks and keyboard keystrokes, and she's getting used to SignMaster as she goes along.

What else? The cutter is quieter than the SC2 I own. Still, it's a stepper motor, and as such, produces a bit of 'chatter' as it goes around.

Overall, for $320 (including 'fast&free' shipping) this Chinese cutter serves the purpose (and is already paid for itself several times over).

In my humble opinion,  the US Cutter LP3 34" at $650 is a superior value overall. But, I guess that's comparing apples to oranges.

Thanks for listening. Stay safe, stay home, and stay busy!

vevor.jpg

20200319_115356.jpg

• Like 1