mactube

Connection Problem , Job sent but SC Plotter doesn't react

Recommended Posts

On 3/23/2020 at 7:47 PM, Wildgoose said:

You could also be fighting a crappy usb chipset. Those in the know on the forum will recommend the Tripp Lite version as the one that works. Cheaper ones are hit or miss. 

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Keyspan-High-Speed-USA-19HS/dp/B0000VYJRY/ref=sr_1_1?crid=18D84WUJ0GQN5&keywords=tripp+lite+keyspan+high-speed+usb+to+serial+adapter%2C+pc+%26+mac&qid=1552404433

 Surprisingly my  Adapter has been delivered already but unfortunately the Tripp Lite  Serial Adapter doesn't fit on the SC Plotter :

( I tried to take out the screws to fit them backwards onto the adapter but then  I wasn't  sure if the screws have to have contaction with the actually adapter and backplate of the serial port but which I defiantly was not able to establish a proper connection then. 

So I might have to just wait till US Cutter has the mother boards back for sale. 

Or does somebody know where else to get a mother board for the SC cutter ? 

 

 

IMG_7684.JPG

IMG_7681.JPG

IMG_7683.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, mactube said:

 Surprisingly my  Adapter has been delivered already but unfortunately the Tripp Lite  Serial Adapter doesn't fit on the SC Plotter :

( I tried to take out the screws to fit them backwards onto the adapter but then  I wasn't  sure if the screws have to have contaction with the actually adapter and backplate of the serial port but which I defiantly was not able to establish a proper connection then. 

So I might have to just wait till US Cutter has the mother boards back for sale. 

Or does somebody know where else to get a mother board for the SC cutter ?

If you bought your machine brand new, then it should've shipped with a serial cable, which is that you connect to the cutter, and then to the adapter. It's usually a beige/putty color, but sometimes it's grey too. looks like a thin VGA cable, but has different ends.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, haumana said:

If you bought your machine brand new, then it should've shipped with a serial cable, which is that you connect to the cutter, and then to the adapter. It's usually a beige/putty color, but sometimes it's grey too. looks like a thin VGA cable, but has different ends.

Ok, thank you. I really will have t check its been many years, which makes me a little nervous about US Cutter getting the motherboards back in stock too....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mactube said:

Ok, I might try to find one of those .. but would you know where else to buy a mother board just in case?

You really should get the numbers off of it. There are several Liyu cutters.   The SC is a Liyu cutter.   Most likely buy overseas.  Alibaba. etc.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MZ SKEETER said:

You really should get the numbers off of it. There are several Liyu cutters.   Most likely buy overseas.  Alibaba. etc.   

Ok, deinstall it and then just google the Serial No.?  Can you recommend fo buy something delicate like this from Alibaba or similar side ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mactube said:

Ok, deinstall it and then just google the Serial No.?  Can you recommend fo buy something delicate like this from Alibaba or similar side ?

I have never bought any.  Just throwing out a suggestion or end up with a big paper weight.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MZ Skeeter gotcha ... I wil post here if I have any success. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Skeeter mentioned the connection cable should be NULL. There are two types one NULL (also called cross over) one straight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

As Skeeter mentioned the connection cable should be NULL. There are two types one NULL (also called cross over) one straight. 

I ordered null modem cable to check if the serial connection will work  and the USB port is just broken. If that doesn't work, that would could only be the 

I/O board or the mother board, which I will only order together to text, so avoid extra work / return costs. 

I did check the cutter with a different software which also did get me any movement on the blade. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

st some point you have to decide when it is better to just jack that vinyl up and slide a new plotter that comes with new software under it . . . . not sure you are there yet but something to keep in the back of your mind.  there is something to be said for peace of mind and less hassle

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to the pictures you showed us above, mactube. The connection CAN be made that way, the  screws are not part of the circuit. Only the 9 pins within the plug have contact. Tape it in place, throw a USB cable on that puppy and go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

st some point you have to decide when it is better to just jack that vinyl up and slide a new plotter that comes with new software under it . . . . not sure you are there yet but something to keep in the back of your mind.  there is something to be said for peace of mind and less hassle

Very good advice. If things are deteriorating, there will be more going. There is a point when you have to give up and go new. There is no warranty with all the new parts that may not even be the problem.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just had a DELL e5500 delivered from eBay, it was under $40. --- I needed a replacement for my cutting laptop that had an intermittent power plug failure, and the cost of these legacy DELLs with serial port is so low right now that it's a no-brainer to just wait a few days after ordering, then unpack the box that UPS brings and you'll probably have that SC humming in two seconds flat. (with SignBlazer)

Would have been cheaper and faster than all the rigamarole you're going through.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

Back to the pictures you showed us above, mactube. The connection CAN be made that way, the  screws are not part of the circuit. Only the 9 pins within the plug have contact. Tape it in place, throw a USB cable on that puppy and go.

If a straight cable was needed that would work, but a Null modem cable is required between the cutter and PC/adapter.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, darcshadow said:

If a straight cable was needed that would work, but a Null modem cable is required between the cutter and PC/adapter.

I always thought the adapter provided the proper null wiring output, but I realize now that is incorrect, my bad.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mostly try to find problems with stuff that I invest in and then repair it myself. In this case.. even though the SC cutter might not be the latest model but it is hardly used.. 

I'm still using the very first blade that I installed which is till sharp.   The parts that I order like the Cables to test and isolate the problem will be sent back to amazon if thats not the problem.

Since I didn't get the cutter moving yet, is def. the Mother Board or the I/O board, which I will both order in April when they are back in stock. As soon as everything is installed I will post here what the problem eventually was.  Thanks everybody for your input so far ! 

Luckily I'm not in a position, where I need the cutter right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, mactube said:

I mostly try to find problems with stuff that I invest in and then repair it myself. In this case.. even though the SC cutter might not be the latest model but it is hardly used.. 

I'm still using the very first blade that I installed which is till sharp.   The parts that I order like the Cables to test and isolate the problem will be sent back to amazon if thats not the problem.

Since I didn't get the cutter moving yet, is def. the Mother Board or the I/O board, which I will both order in April when they are back in stock. As soon as everything is installed I will post here what the problem eventually was.  Thanks everybody for your input so far ! 

Luckily I'm not in a position, where I need the cutter right now. 

That falls under the Journey not the destination that matters type of out look. Happy travels and we look forward to the follow up. Most of us do our journey via the other forum members so it’s all good stuff. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

That falls under the Journey not the destination that matters type of out look. Happy travels and we look forward to the follow up. Most of us do our journey via the other forum members so it’s all good stuff. 

@wildgoose , I'm not sure if I understand correctly. There is another forum you guys post for certain posts/outcomes ? 

Since  don't have to do any cutting jobs urgent and I will wait on parts to repair my cutter, where would I post to solicit a cutting job to you buys ( since solicit for offers is a very delicate topic in forums )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not another forum, other forum members, implying that "we're in this journey with you." (as long as you keep on updating us)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, haumana said:

Not another forum, other forum members, implying that "we're in in this journey with you." (as long as you keep on updating us)

Ok got you .. yes for sure! I will let it be known what the actual problem turned out to be so if somebody has the same problem he might find the answer here though the search. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now