mactube

Connection Problem , Job sent but SC Plotter doesn't react

On 3/23/2020 at 7:47 PM, Wildgoose said:

You could also be fighting a crappy usb chipset. Those in the know on the forum will recommend the Tripp Lite version as the one that works. Cheaper ones are hit or miss. 

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Keyspan-High-Speed-USA-19HS/dp/B0000VYJRY/ref=sr_1_1?crid=18D84WUJ0GQN5&keywords=tripp+lite+keyspan+high-speed+usb+to+serial+adapter%2C+pc+%26+mac&qid=1552404433

Surprisingly my  Adapter has been delivered already but unfortunately the Tripp Lite  Serial Adapter doesn't fit on the SC Plotter :

( I tried to take out the screws to fit them backwards onto the adapter but then  I wasn't  sure if the screws have to have contaction with the actually adapter and backplate of the serial port but which I defiantly was not able to establish a proper connection then. 

So I might have to just wait till US Cutter has the mother boards back for sale. 

Or does somebody know where else to get a mother board for the SC cutter ? 

IMG_7684.JPG

IMG_7681.JPG

IMG_7683.JPG

19 minutes ago, mactube said:

Surprisingly my  Adapter has been delivered already but unfortunately the Tripp Lite  Serial Adapter doesn't fit on the SC Plotter :

( I tried to take out the screws to fit them backwards onto the adapter but then  I wasn't  sure if the screws have to have contaction with the actually adapter and backplate of the serial port but which I defiantly was not able to establish a proper connection then. 

So I might have to just wait till US Cutter has the mother boards back for sale. 

Or does somebody know where else to get a mother board for the SC cutter ?

If you bought your machine brand new, then it should've shipped with a serial cable, which is that you connect to the cutter, and then to the adapter. It's usually a beige/putty color, but sometimes it's grey too. looks like a thin VGA cable, but has different ends.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, haumana said:

If you bought your machine brand new, then it should've shipped with a serial cable, which is that you connect to the cutter, and then to the adapter. It's usually a beige/putty color, but sometimes it's grey too. looks like a thin VGA cable, but has different ends.

Ok, thank you. I really will have t check its been many years, which makes me a little nervous about US Cutter getting the motherboards back in stock too....

6 minutes ago, mactube said:

Ok, I might try to find one of those .. but would you know where else to buy a mother board just in case?

You really should get the numbers off of it. There are several Liyu cutters.   The SC is a Liyu cutter.   Most likely buy overseas.  Alibaba. etc.   

Just now, MZ SKEETER said:

You really should get the numbers off of it. There are several Liyu cutters.   Most likely buy overseas.  Alibaba. etc.   

Ok, deinstall it and then just google the Serial No.?  Can you recommend fo buy something delicate like this from Alibaba or similar side ?

8 minutes ago, mactube said:

Ok, deinstall it and then just google the Serial No.?  Can you recommend fo buy something delicate like this from Alibaba or similar side ?

I have never bought any.  Just throwing out a suggestion or end up with a big paper weight.  

As Skeeter mentioned the connection cable should be NULL. There are two types one NULL (also called cross over) one straight. 

4 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

As Skeeter mentioned the connection cable should be NULL. There are two types one NULL (also called cross over) one straight. 

I ordered null modem cable to check if the serial connection will work  and the USB port is just broken. If that doesn't work, that would could only be the 

I/O board or the mother board, which I will only order together to text, so avoid extra work / return costs. 

I did check the cutter with a different software which also did get me any movement on the blade. 

st some point you have to decide when it is better to just jack that vinyl up and slide a new plotter that comes with new software under it . . . . not sure you are there yet but something to keep in the back of your mind.  there is something to be said for peace of mind and less hassle

• Like 3

Back to the pictures you showed us above, mactube. The connection CAN be made that way, the  screws are not part of the circuit. Only the 9 pins within the plug have contact. Tape it in place, throw a USB cable on that puppy and go.

8 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

st some point you have to decide when it is better to just jack that vinyl up and slide a new plotter that comes with new software under it . . . . not sure you are there yet but something to keep in the back of your mind.  there is something to be said for peace of mind and less hassle

Very good advice. If things are deteriorating, there will be more going. There is a point when you have to give up and go new. There is no warranty with all the new parts that may not even be the problem.

• Like 1

I just had a DELL e5500 delivered from eBay, it was under $40. --- I needed a replacement for my cutting laptop that had an intermittent power plug failure, and the cost of these legacy DELLs with serial port is so low right now that it's a no-brainer to just wait a few days after ordering, then unpack the box that UPS brings and you'll probably have that SC humming in two seconds flat. (with SignBlazer)

Would have been cheaper and faster than all the rigamarole you're going through.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

Back to the pictures you showed us above, mactube. The connection CAN be made that way, the  screws are not part of the circuit. Only the 9 pins within the plug have contact. Tape it in place, throw a USB cable on that puppy and go.

If a straight cable was needed that would work, but a Null modem cable is required between the cutter and PC/adapter.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, darcshadow said:

If a straight cable was needed that would work, but a Null modem cable is required between the cutter and PC/adapter.

I always thought the adapter provided the proper null wiring output, but I realize now that is incorrect, my bad.

• Like 2

I mostly try to find problems with stuff that I invest in and then repair it myself. In this case.. even though the SC cutter might not be the latest model but it is hardly used.. 

I'm still using the very first blade that I installed which is till sharp.   The parts that I order like the Cables to test and isolate the problem will be sent back to amazon if thats not the problem.

Since I didn't get the cutter moving yet, is def. the Mother Board or the I/O board, which I will both order in April when they are back in stock. As soon as everything is installed I will post here what the problem eventually was.  Thanks everybody for your input so far ! 

Luckily I'm not in a position, where I need the cutter right now. 

15 hours ago, mactube said:

I mostly try to find problems with stuff that I invest in and then repair it myself. In this case.. even though the SC cutter might not be the latest model but it is hardly used.. 

I'm still using the very first blade that I installed which is till sharp.   The parts that I order like the Cables to test and isolate the problem will be sent back to amazon if thats not the problem.

Since I didn't get the cutter moving yet, is def. the Mother Board or the I/O board, which I will both order in April when they are back in stock. As soon as everything is installed I will post here what the problem eventually was.  Thanks everybody for your input so far ! 

Luckily I'm not in a position, where I need the cutter right now. 

That falls under the Journey not the destination that matters type of out look. Happy travels and we look forward to the follow up. Most of us do our journey via the other forum members so it’s all good stuff. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

That falls under the Journey not the destination that matters type of out look. Happy travels and we look forward to the follow up. Most of us do our journey via the other forum members so it’s all good stuff. 

@wildgoose , I'm not sure if I understand correctly. There is another forum you guys post for certain posts/outcomes ? 

Since  don't have to do any cutting jobs urgent and I will wait on parts to repair my cutter, where would I post to solicit a cutting job to you buys ( since solicit for offers is a very delicate topic in forums )

Not another forum, other forum members, implying that "we're in this journey with you." (as long as you keep on updating us)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, haumana said:

Not another forum, other forum members, implying that "we're in in this journey with you." (as long as you keep on updating us)

Ok got you .. yes for sure! I will let it be known what the actual problem turned out to be so if somebody has the same problem he might find the answer here though the search. 

• Like 1

Hope everybody is doing ok in these quarantine times! 

I wanted to post an update on my SC Plotter connectivity problem...   I bought a new mainboard and I/O board with the option to send them back  in case either one wasn't the problem. 

which was exactly the case. I installed the new motherboard then the I/O usb-serial board and neither one was the problem. I see the same error message :  after minuets of " sending data to the cutter "  it will say "The data was sent to the cutting machine"  and no movement of the blade what so ever. 

Since I tried another cutting software before, I really don't know what it could be besides my actually computer " MacBook Pro" .. 

Of cause I tried different USB cables , countless restarts of software, computer and cutter .. 

The only think I can maybe think of that there is a problem with my actual computer or operating system since I recently  installed a label printer.  ( I know that is way off but I don't now what it could be ) 

What happens when you use a Windows computer, as suggested back in March?

• Like 1