mactube

Connection Problem , Job sent but SC Plotter doesn't react

I hope somebody has an idea for an easy fix!?

My SC Cutter suddenly stoped cutting.  Everything is set as before on the cutter and on the " Sure Cuts A Lot 3 Pro " Software, but even though the job is sent to the cutter 

from my laptop by USB cord, the signal takes a lot longer  " Cutting... " but the bar keeps loading up for about 2 min. Then the Message " The data was sent to the cutting machine" 

but no reaction from the Plotter. 

What I tried several times: 

- Turning machine on and off 

- disconnecting machine from the power source 

- restarting computer and software

- using another USB port

- using another USB Cable 

uscutter.jpg

Is this just 1 design or all of them?    Does the design have a lot of nodes to it?.  The cutter has limited memory.   Maybe post the file, if it is not copyright protected. 

Not sure about SCALP software, but in other cutting software, you need to make sure that the COMPORT that was assigned by Windows, needs to match the COMPORT in the software.

Have you tried to do a test cut from the control panel of the cutter?

Is this the original SC or the newer SC2?  I have the SC2 that's kinda messed-up with the way data flows into it. For some bizarre reason, the cutter sits there waiting idle while data is fed ----  the entire job must finish going through, before the cutter begins to move.

To workaround the problem, I set the baud rate up at the max. 256,000 and that allows the job to trace faster and the cutter operation to begin quicker. I honestly would have returned the cutter right from the jump (it's done this since I got it out of the box) but 99% of my cut files are really simple stuff, just text, and large (so not a lot of nodes) and at 256,000 it only takes a few seconds for the 'feed' to complete, so I decided to just live with it.

Here's my suggestion, FWIW ---  download and install SignBlazerElements (choose LiYu as the cutter model) and check out the settings for the Com ports in Cutter Setup. I think you got a Com mismatch.

On 3/22/2020 at 3:47 PM, MZ SKEETER said:

Is this just 1 design or all of them?    Does the design have a lot of nodes to it?.  The cutter has limited memory.   Maybe post the file, if it is not copyright protected. 

@MZ SKEETER   it's actually a pretty simple design and I tied other designs... same problem. Is there a permanent memory that I can clear? If not.. that's proberbly not the problem, since I have cut more detailed designs before. 

J5.scut3

screensho cut.jpg

On 3/22/2020 at 3:56 PM, haumana said:

Not sure about SCALP software, but in other cutting software, you need to make sure that the COMPORT that was assigned by Windows, needs to match the COMPORT in the software.

Have you tried to do a test cut from the control panel of the cutter?

Not sure how to exactly text cut from the control panel, but I performed a connection text in the cut settings, thats pretty much the only place where I can change settings related to the cutting. 

screenshot  cut settings.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, slice&dice said:

Is this the original SC or the newer SC2?  I have the SC2 that's kinda messed-up with the way data flows into it. For some bizarre reason, the cutter sits there waiting idle while data is fed ----  the entire job must finish going through, before the cutter begins to move.

To workaround the problem, I set the baud rate up at the max. 256,000 and that allows the job to trace faster and the cutter operation to begin quicker. I honestly would have returned the cutter right from the jump (it's done this since I got it out of the box) but 99% of my cut files are really simple stuff, just text, and large (so not a lot of nodes) and at 256,000 it only takes a few seconds for the 'feed' to complete, so I decided to just live with it.

Here's my suggestion, FWIW ---  download and install SignBlazerElements (choose LiYu as the cutter model) and check out the settings for the Com ports in Cutter Setup. I think you got a Com mismatch.

Ok, 

Where can I change the com ?  I should mention, that I'm working on a Mac

I have the older sure cuts pro 3 . Where can I download the newer version or even the old one. Maybe reinstalling the software might work !?  Where can I download SignBlazerElements ? Or another free software to text .  I saw that you posted the link here in the forum before, but the links don't work anymore. ( Where probably for Windows anyway !?) 

• Like 1

With the mac some of the previous advice will be moot. I run on mac but not on the SCALP program. Just an off the wall observation but the color in the first pic says red (maybe that the layer color?) and your design is black. You aren't by some odd chance sending a color that is not there? Probably not but it just popped into my head, that might not even be possible. 

Does your cutter have the option to make adjustments on the machine? Some do some don't. Those that do you can take a look at the baud rate and make sure it's the same as the software. Is the cutter showing up in devices in the finder when the usb is connected? 

If you keep getting skunked and need another option you can try the free trial of SignCut Pro. They are mac compatible and have a free trial period that you can use. I have recommended them to a few other mac users who may need to have some other option to trouble shoot. I use SignCut Pro 1 as my cutter interface and design in Illustrator. Both are costly to get set up in but the combination works well for me on the mac and it can also be used over on pc computers as well. They have live tech help if you do try them and can't get connected. 

Sure Cuts a Lot has some tech support on their site. I tried out the beta version long ago and they were reasonably efficient at responding back at that time. They have updated several times at this point so probably still have some tech help for you on that end as well. There are a few users here that use the program too being it is the only mac friendly option US Cutter packages. SignCut is a paid use rent program or a fairly expensive lifetime dongle.  Not trying to steer you that direction just letting you know what's out there. 

• Like 2

You could also be fighting a crappy usb chipset. Those in the know on the forum will recommend the Tripp Lite version as the one that works. Cheaper ones are hit or miss. 

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Keyspan-High-Speed-USA-19HS/dp/B0000VYJRY/ref=sr_1_1?crid=18D84WUJ0GQN5&keywords=tripp+lite+keyspan+high-speed+usb+to+serial+adapter%2C+pc+%26+mac&qid=1552404433

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Wildgoose said:

With the mac some of the previous advice will be moot. I run on mac but not on the SCALP program. Just an off the wall observation but the color in the first pic says red (maybe that the layer color?) and your design is black. You aren't by some odd chance sending a color that is not there? Probably not but it just popped into my head, that might not even be possible. 

Does your cutter have the option to make adjustments on the machine? Some do some don't. Those that do you can take a look at the baud rate and make sure it's the same as the software. Is the cutter showing up in devices in the finder when the usb is connected? 

If you keep getting skunked and need another option you can try the free trial of SignCut Pro. They are mac compatible and have a free trial period that you can use. I have recommended them to a few other mac users who may need to have some other option to trouble shoot. I use SignCut Pro 1 as my cutter interface and design in Illustrator. Both are costly to get set up in but the combination works well for me on the mac and it can also be used over on pc computers as well. They have live tech help if you do try them and can't get connected. 

Sure Cuts a Lot has some tech support on their site. I tried out the beta version long ago and they were reasonably efficient at responding back at that time. They have updated several times at this point so probably still have some tech help for you on that end as well. There are a few users here that use the program too being it is the only mac friendly option US Cutter packages. SignCut is a paid use rent program or a fairly expensive lifetime dongle.  Not trying to steer you that direction just letting you know what's out there. 

What program do you run with Mac?   You know what I never paid attention to the colors but that seams to not be the problem since the cutter just reacted to the connection test and then did the actually cut with all the same settings, after I disconnected the power and disconnected the usb a couple of times  but now I got the same problem after this one cut. So the problem is defiantly just intermittently. 

The only adjusting I can make on the cutter is the speed and the move the blade. 

The Cutter is not showing up in the finder, should it ? 

25 minutes ago, Wildgoose said:

You could also be fighting a crappy usb chipset. Those in the know on the forum will recommend the Tripp Lite version as the one that works. Cheaper ones are hit or miss. 

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Keyspan-High-Speed-USA-19HS/dp/B0000VYJRY/ref=sr_1_1?crid=18D84WUJ0GQN5&keywords=tripp+lite+keyspan+high-speed+usb+to+serial+adapter%2C+pc+%26+mac&qid=1552404433

Also good advice !!!! Could be that .. will order one right now.   

• Like 1

If it's intermittent working then not I would tend toward the connection. Keep us posted 

Here is a link to SignCut Pro. They have a good free trial period that I believe is full function during that time. I use the older Pro 1 version that has no design capability. They now have a new Pro 2 version that has some design capability. I own the dongle for Pro1 meaning I own it and don't have any more costs so I have not tried out the Pro 2. I do all my design work in Illustrator and just use Pro 1 to cut with. You could do the same with Inkscape (free) and a couple other vector programs. SignCut does cost so if it's strictly a hobby it is hard to justify. When I bought my first cutter it came with a free years subscription to SignCut and I got used to it and it's really an awesome tool. I think I paid around $400 for the lifetime dongle (USB Key) but was paying around $120 or $140 per year for a year or so then upgraded to a Summa 30" cutter and had to make a decision what software to use with it. I checked out Macsign and another that I can't recall. I like to design on my iMac but I usually cut over across the room from a windows laptop. Owning the dongle lets you load the program on any number of computers so I have the windows laptop out of the way and if/when it crashes I can roll the cutter across the room plug in and switch to my mac and keep working. That was why I ended up buying the lifetime dongle. You can only hop computers about 5 times without the dongle and after that you have to call in and get a permission number to move again. It's their way of controlling someone who want to load it on a bunch of computers under one license. The dongle must go with the cutter so only one user station is guaranteed where the subscription based plan has to have internet access to verify the license each time you fire it up. 

https://signcutpro.com

Most computers don't but getting a good adapter and not using the cheap adapter chip installed in the machine is worth it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, darcshadow said:

Most computers don't but getting a good adapter and not using the cheap adapter chip installed in the machine is worth it.

I will try the Serial adapter that @Wildgoose  suggested  but I actually just ordered a Serial to  USB-C cable connect it directly to my Mac because I already have an adapter from USB to USB-C , that maybe to many connections. 

... but until they arrive I will have to try the SignCut Pro that @Wildgoose  suggested .. and while I figure that out I will try to get US Cutter support on the phone to see if they let me download Sure Cuts again or give me the Key to the software gain. 

Will let you guys know! 

Thanks  @MZ SKEETER  since I can't delete Sure Cuts, I just installed it again, in hops it will overwrite the old software. 

Still no move meant on the plotter, so I'm trying out the SignCut Pro2 Software  but since it's not cutting, I'm not sure If I used the right settings when it asked me for the connectivity,

since I also downloaded the Spooler, I set that as connection since non of the other connection options I could choose from made sense to me like

bluetooth , TCP/IP etc. 

... so there is no movement, but also no error massage or anything indicating, that the cut job is about to start or tryng to initiate.  

You don't delete software, you uninstall it from programs.  But I don't use a Mac.  I don't use Scalp either.  But I read a lot on here. :D  There are some youtube videos connecting SCALP to a Mac. 

This may be a connection problem with the USB port ... this is what I'm seeing trying to cut with SignCutPro

... and no movement , sound what so over...

tests.jpg

Can you do a screen shot of a settings/configuration page that might show how the software/mac is supposed to be connecting to the cutter?

Not every USB to serial adapter will work. Some don't work for vinyl cutters, and some have the same cheap Chinese chip set as the vinyl cutter.   Only recommend the Tripp-lite Keyspan Adapter. They do work with a vinyl cutter. 

Ok, just got of the phone with the  USCutter Support ... 

It he ran all kinds of texts and his conclusion :  Its mostly the Motherboard, since the USB connection to the printer is showing and the test cut works intermittently ( 1 out of 6 times)

Unfortunately the bother board is sold out on their website. 

So I will have to wait for  my new Serial able / Tripp-lite Adapter so if it's just the USB port ( count even be a problem with the whole input board which I would only order when the 

Mother board is back in stock to text each component. 

I will keep ever body in the loop on what it turns to to be. 

tests.jpg