jcrevs

What would be the easiest way to do this?

Hello all - I need to make a stencil out of clear 6mil mylar to spray paint on the floor. I've made the design I want but I need to cut it differently than vinyl so the middle doesnt "fall out". To do this I want to basically break the lines on the hash marks. I've included pics of the wire frame i designed and what im trying to do. I want to only cut out the red. What would be the easiest way to accomplish what I want to do? Thanks!

s_d target.png

S_D wire.PNG

Just take your black lines and subtract them from the red. I think the term in VM is called punch through.

1 hour ago, darcshadow said:

Just take your black lines and subtract them from the red. I think the term in VM is called punch through.

hmmm, i dont see this option on VM Cut? I only have weld, combine, break apart. is it called something else or found somewhere else? 

2 hours ago, jcrevs said:

Hello all - I need to make a stencil out of clear 6mm mylar to spray paint on the floor

I hope that is a typo and you are planing to cut 6mil mylar.

With a carrier mat.

2 minutes ago, bikemike said:

I hope that is a typo and you are planing to cut 6mil mylar.

With a carrier mat.

yes, exactly. 6mm would be a little too thick i would think

appreciate your concern but that doesnt help the issue at hand

There are other FREE softwares, you might try.  It helps to keep other softwares in your tool box for times like this, when your software doesn't have all of the features.   INKSCAPE.org    Signblazer. 

Just now, jcrevs said:

yes, exactly. 6mm would be a little too thick i would think

appreciate your concern but that doesnt help the issue at hand

True, but a valid question.

I can't see any way you could use mylar and still keep the center from falling out or bunching up during the cut other than a cutting mat. But then getting it off the mat and in place would not work very well.

4 minutes ago, bikemike said:

I can't see any way you could use mylar and still keep the center from falling out or bunching up during the cut other than a cutting mat. But then getting it off the mat and in place would not work very well.

Ok, scratch that. I was looking at it backwards.

1 minute ago, bikemike said:

yes, thanks, but before we get off topic - it is 6 MIL mylar, I've cut successfully many other templates for spray paint, and i use a mat and pre-made designs. 

Im only worried about the graphic in this thread, not the process/procedure of cutting it out. If there isnt a way to do it easily on VM i will try the other other options that skeeter suggested. just didnt feel like dl'g another program and another learning curve.

Post the EPS file. Any of us could do that for you and get you going, then get you going in the right direction.

im in a pinch for time on this one but one day i would like to learn how to do it myself in case this situation comes up again 

If VM cut doesn't have that function, and it's a pretty useful function you might want to look into other software. Either an upgrade of VM, or something else entirely. Inkscape is a free and very powerful vector program.

19 hours ago, darcshadow said:

If VM cut doesn't have that function, and it's a pretty useful function you might want to look into other software. Either an upgrade of VM, or something else entirely. Inkscape is a free and very powerful vector program.

Just an update to the future googlers - you were correct, I needed to purchase an upgrade to the VM software. it was 50% off and a business account so bada-bing.

Punch out is now available along with much more functionality. 

Made a couple adjustments - heres the final product.

Thanks all - you can close the thread

B640B1F2-3DAB-4572-9CD2-55BDAE266038.jpeg

• Like 3

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.