Dannypritchett01

Newbie: Making Rounded Corners Meet Measurements

Software: VinylMaster DSR
Experience with Cutter& Software: 1 Month
Pieces Cut: 3 Good, Several Bad

Hello Everyone, first off this is my first post. So my name is Danny Pritchett. I was offered a job by a guy that is local to me that makes signs. I am a computer nerd but have little experience in design work and graphics. So a month ago this guy just shows up at my front door with a US Cutter MH-871 and says here ya go. Now this is what I need made. It came with the Cut version of the software. The arched text he wanted I couldn't figure out how to do with Cut. He fussed me out saying the program could do it. I told him it wouldn't and if he thought he could, do it himself. So I talked him into upgrading to the DSR. I got through that project with some damaged vinyl and roller issues. Still yet to resolve by the way. Well here we are today a month later and I have played around with the software and watched videos to learn how to navigate the software enough to do basic stuff. I'm still learning as I go. Well now hes making a mailbox for a friend. He sends me a photograph of the mailbox when he made it in the 90s that was very damaged and the photo looked like it had seen better days. A tree had fell on the actual box so I was given broken pieces as well to "Reproduce". After getting my measurements I started working on it. I managed to rebuild the whole thing by scratch which made me proud to have learned enough to do so. The issue I am having is making the nodes look nice and rounded even though I tell the program to make them round, and to make the rounded areas the correct size. Any pros out there care to walk me through it or maybe fix it for me and explain how you did it so that I know in the future. If you need a file just let me know what I would need to send. Thanks so much.

The outside black border needs to be 3/4" all the way around, then a 1/4" inside of that, and then another 1/4" then the green area is where the address will be. I can't figure this out.

Danny Pritchett

bottommb.png

sample.png

Mailbox Bottom.eps

Edited by Dannypritchett01
Added EPS

Can you convert this to an .ai, .eps, .svg or some other fairly generic vector file?

If anyone fixes this, please tell me how you did it. He makes mailboxes a lot and I will need to manipulate corners etc. regularly. I just don"t want to lose my first job in four years because I can't perform needed tasks. This program is a little difficult for me to understand. So I am really trying to cram like I used to for exams in a short period of time to do necessities for the job. Worst off the guys payment declined so if he don,t pay in 24 hours the software will deactivate. :(

The overall dimensions of this board on the mailbox is 29" long and 7 1/2" wide. I can't seem to get the borders exact. I see the little line moving back and forth on the ruler and when I snap it, it just doesn't seem even all the way around. Are their any programs better than this?

Just now, Dannypritchett01 said:

The overall dimensions of this board on the mailbox is 29" long and 7 1/2" wide. I can't seem to get the borders exact. I see the little line moving back and forth on the ruler and when I snap it, it just doesn't seem even all the way around. Are their any programs better than this?

While it is not really supported or approved in any way by USCutter (and the VinylMaster program is preferable in many ways), perhaps just download & install SignBlazer ?  It's a little bit 'cartoony' in the way it looks, but for node editing it's very cool (double-click on the object; right click for tools), and you'll be getting this job done fast (Manipulate menu/OUTLINE).

(The MH cutter is RedSail in the setup process)

I am only suggesting this as a way to accomplish your immediate task, and I really think you're on the right track by upgrading VinylMaster so that certain functionality you'll need in the future is available.

I was bored so..

Deleted everything but the green and text then just did 3 "outline" or whatever it would be called in your program. I used graphtec pro studio.

I know, the "white" outline is yellow, that was so you could see it was there.

mailbox.jpg

mailbox.eps

• Like 3

1 hour ago, slice&dice said:

While it is not really supported or approved in any way by USCutter (and the VinylMaster program is preferable in many ways), perhaps just download & install SignBlazer ?  It's a little bit 'cartoony' in the way it looks, but for node editing it's very cool (double-click on the object; right click for tools), and you'll be getting this job done fast (Manipulate menu/OUTLINE).

(The MH cutter is RedSail in the setup process)

I am only suggesting this as a way to accomplish your immediate task, and I really think you're on the right track by upgrading VinylMaster so that certain functionality you'll need in the future is available.

Yea VinylMaster DSR will be my main toolbox. I just really need something simple for now to use in times that I cant figure out how in Vinyl Master. Ill check it out and see what I think. Some of the tools I have in DSR are pretty neat but when I click one thinking its what I am looking for, it turns out to be something else.

Thanks BikeMike. That will help at least get this done. Now if I could figure out how to do that in Vinyl Master DSR. My method was to make rectangle shapes and to just round the corners with nodes. My boss says I can make an outline and do the same thing and much simpler but he doesn't know how with this program as it's difficult for him. He's a Navy Vet and about 70 years old. Sometimes he refers to a program he had back in the day for a plotter machine but I tried telling him software today is much more advanced than his click and make kind of stuff.

Someone with vinyl master should show up at some point and know the correct term for it.

• Thanks 1

You might also look into Inkscape (it's free). I understand wanting to learn one software and use it for everything but I've found Inkscape more intuitive than I have with VM. That could also be that I learned Inkscape first, I don't know. But I know I could do this shape in Inkscape much faster than I could in VM.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, darcshadow said:

You might also look into Inkscape (it's free). I understand wanting to learn one software and use it for everything but I've found Inkscape more intuitive than I have with VM. That could also be that I learned Inkscape first, I don't know. But I know I could do this shape in Inkscape much faster than I could in VM.

I agree. Having at least 2 programs available make thing a lot faster and easier at times.

• Like 2

I think you can just get it looking like you want using the outline module and then convert it to curves and then just type in the size you want it to be up there in the dimensions box. Bear in mind that if you do this it will generally only let you adjust one direction and the other will automatically scale to keep the proportions constrained. You can unlock the constrained but then in your case it will stretch the offset lines and cause them to be irregular. 

Another option would be to first build the outer size exactly like you want it and then do inset lines to get the rest of the lines so they are keyed to the outer shape. 

Like most I keep a few tools handy. I am primarily an Adobe Illustrator guy but it's got a severe learning curve that I would not recommend to beginners. Inkscape is totally free and hard to beat as a learning tool. 

2 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

I think you can just get it looking like you want using the outline module and then convert it to curves and then just type in the size you want it to be up there in the dimensions box. Bear in mind that if you do this it will generally only let you adjust one direction and the other will automatically scale to keep the proportions constrained. You can unlock the constrained but then in your case it will stretch the offset lines and cause them to be irregular. 

Another option would be to first build the outer size exactly like you want it and then do inset lines to get the rest of the lines so they are keyed to the outer shape. 

Like most I keep a few tools handy. I am primarily an Adobe Illustrator guy but it's got a severe learning curve that I would not recommend to beginners. Inkscape is totally free and hard to beat as a learning tool. 

I did do the resize before sending the eps file back.

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.