dvddvd

So how small can a vinyl cutter cut?

Just wondering how small can they actually cut?

Some of the stencils I've made have small sections, I can reduce the detail a bit to remove some of  them?

But wondering say a Liyu sc cutter how small can it cut?

What happens when it tries to cut something so small? Thanks

the better the cutter, the better results. different cutters will have a different answer to your question.

i can cut text down to 1/4" with my LaserPoint, slightly smaller with my Graphtec.

If you're going to cut small, intricate stuff, slow the cut speed, and test what the limitations of what your cutter can do.

A server motor will cut more accurately than a stepper motor.

what happens if you try to cut something too small - it'll probably just look like a small area with itty bitty slashes, or if it's super small, make sure your blade holder doesn't picking up any of the itty bitty pieces.

• Like 1

Thanks everytime I have a look at cutters I think I'll buy that one.

Then a bit of reading on here and I change my mind!

Started off wanting to buy a mh 871, then changed my mind to a Liyu SC 631 then I thought might as well go for the TC 631 now I'm thinking maybe the DF631 with servo?

"maybe the DF631 with servo ?"

Sure, if you can manage that extra cost.

When people approach this Forum asking "what should I buy?" the answer given by the peanut gallery here is always the same ---

Get the best model you can afford.

As for small cuts, the main issue is the media (pressure-sensitive adhesive vinyl) and when you get too small, the vinyl bits at that miniature size literally don't have enough surface area to stick properly to substrate.  (Not to mention the weeding at that super-tiny scale).

• Like 2

Keep in mind that the brand and type of vinyl you are cutting will also give you different results.

• Like 2

How small?

I have a Graphtec 6000 and was impressed how well my machine cut this swirly floral design that

my sister picked out.    That's the tip of an X-acto blade.

Of course, the cutter blade was nice and sharp and I used Siser EW. 

But this was still a job to weed!

1/4 inch is about as small as I want to cut lettering.

Tiny_Floral_Cut-Graphtec.jpg

• Like 2

Not only does it depend on the cutter, making those cuts, it depends on the user setting the cutter up correctly. A vinyl cutter is not plug and play. Value cutters like the SC Liyu series take more time fine tuning, and to start with you must set the blade depth correctly. The cutter force, and blade offset depends on setting the blade depth correctly. Start with a slow speed until you learn your cutter. Do NOT follow any blade depth instructions about using a credit card to set the blade depth. 

This is correct way to set your blade depth.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should just barely see and feel your blade tip out of the blade holder.

• Like 2

Here's one I cut with a US Cutter SC2 out of Oracal 651.  The "LLC" text after AND BBQ is just under .125".  I did a few of these for a buddy... learned a lot about what I should and shouldn't do if I were selling these to a customer.  So can you cut small... probably.  Should you... depends on the situation.

20200314_122344.thumb.jpg.342738ff809393f40e02634b1da6628d.jpg

• Like 2